OK, whats the final say on the V600? Should I get one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by V, Nov 20, 2004.

1. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

im currently an ATT TDMA customer. ive been putting off switching over to GSM for a while, but i need to now as ill be spending a month in montana where i dont get TDMA service.

i will be getting a Cingular plan and i need to decide on a phone. i like the v600 for its look (sleek and professional) and thats about it. i want something with good service, but i dont really need internet, camera, etc. anyway, best buy has the v600 for $50 after MIR. what other phones should i consider?

what if i get a v600 and have reception issues? this is a problem with the phone right? can i return it and swap it out for something else without a hassle? id get the v551 or whatever the new one is but i dont like that its blue :hs:

any opinions?

2. Interlude

Interlude New Member

My V600 :wiggle:

[​IMG]

I love the V600. The features might not be the best, but the looks is just pure sexy. No problem with reception.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

id go with the v551. more features

4. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

like what? its just so damn ugly. it looks like a toy. :hs:

5. Pingu

Pingu Guest

I Got One And I Think That Its Pretty Dope...

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

...and i was a bit iffy on the blue case too, but it's grown on me.

7. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

what about the sony t637? that one is only $20 :coold:

8. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

nah. pass on that one

9. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

ok, so then what makes the v551 so much better than the v600?

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

EDGE
    video recording
    brushed aluminum front
    cheaper
    no recalls (yet)

11. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

the v600 is nice....i would recommened it

12. maczter

wouldn't you rather have a sidekick? ;)

13. maczter

yep. though the video recording is admittedly lacking.

the video recording on the 6230 is pretty decent.

14. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i couldnt care less about video recording or even internet for that matter...

15. maczter

so...if you only prefer the V600 because of how it looks and don't care about any advanced features, why don't you step it up and get a RAZR V3? :) looks cooler than pretty much any other phone out there.

16. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

because im not rich. i like the v600 cause its got an awesome look, its got all the basic features i need, and i can get it for only $50. im in college. i certainly cant afford the v3. basically, i just wanna know if i should take the risk since i know they've had issues with the alloy backing interfering with the antenna. i just wanna know how real a problem that is, since so many people seem to be happy with theirs.

17. maczter

gotcha.

have you hada chance to check out a V551 in person yet?

18. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

yeah i looked at it in the store yesterday. the aluminum was nice but i just dont like the blue. i dunno, ill go back and check them out again, maybe itll grow on me. but i dont really see any reason to get that over the v600. it has extra features which i dont need and its more expensive. otherwise, im assuming they both perform the same.

19. maczter

this is actually a decent phone, especially for $20.

20. MissMaxima™

MissMaxima™ New Member

I have the V600 and hate it. I get the worst reception, the phone book setup sucks, it can't vibrate and ring at the same time.....It's the worst phone I've owned. Looks like everyone on here likes it, and I can't understand why, but recently I was shown a website (can't remember the name of it right now) for cell phone reviews and 99% of the people were unhappy with their V600. It's a waste of money (well maybe not since you are getting it for $50, but I spent $350.) I also heard there was a recall made by Cingular for this phone having something to do with the frequency. IMO if you just need something basic, I'm sure there are plenty of sleek and professional looking phones that work 100x better than this.

21. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

ok well ive decided to get the v551. the look has grown on me and its too much of a hassle to get the v600 since no one carries it but the one store in st louis. and since im adding myself to my fathers family cingular plan in nashville, i just cant work it out.

missmaxima: what about the phone book setup did you not like? i currently have a nokia phone and the phonebook is very easy to use. i havent had the chance to explore how the v551 is setup. its hard to imagine something so confusing as to make me hate it in the manner you seem to. thanks for the input though. i have heard a lot of bad things about the phone but i think i just wanted to like it so much i was ignoring all the problems with the phone.

22. Brian

Brian New Member

just ordered a v551 should recevive in mail next week

it looks like shit on the internet, but in person its hawt, the blue rubber stuff is cool and the brushed metal is cool

23. maczter

with the V551, just make sure you change the settings to show only one listing for each name so it doesn't take forever to scroll through. once you do this, it will show each person's name only once as you scroll up and down, then once you get to the name you want, you press left and right to scroll through all the numbers for the selected name (mobile, main, home, work, e-mail, etc.).

just go to the phonebook, open the phonebook menu by pressing the menu key (top middle button), and selecting "setup". once you're there, just change the View setting to "Primary Contacts". also, make sure you check out the Personalize submenus in the Settings menu. the Skins are kinda cool, now to find a source for more of them. :) having a background in interface design, that's one thing i really loved about my SE T616 and T637 was the huge amount of themes available for them.

24. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

thanks for the tip. ill definitely do that otherwise id probably be pulling out my hair scrolling through all that junk. cant wait to go in on friday and get it. my first new phone in two and a half years :)

25. MissMaxima™

MissMaxima™ New Member

I think Nokia's are the most "user friendly" and I've heard a lot of people say the same thing. I had a nokia before the V600 and I miss it so much. It was so much easier to use. The phone book on the V600 just isn't the easiest to use. There are tons of settings and things you have to do to just put one number in. Once when I tried to add numbers to the same contact is deleted the old number somehow. And as someone already stated, make sure you put the setting to only show primary contact numbers, because scrolling through each one is the worst. That was my biggest problem when I first got it before I learned how to do that. I heard the 551 is Motorolla's replacement for the V600, so hopefully it's better. Personally, I will never buy another Motorolla.