Ok Time to hlep me pick a new deck 400-500

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by flynfrog, Dec 19, 2003.

1. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

OK i got a new car i want a classy not flashy looking deck to go into it so my pioneer is out

i dont realy want to put a kit in casue i think it will look like crap it would be a plus for itto work with my factory changer but dosnt ahve too i will not be running any thing off deck power so it could be a pre amp only i was looking at nak decks and possibly an indash changer but not sure if i want to spend that much on it

or maybe a simple looking deck with an eq shoved in below

or maybe an lcd in teh dash with a deck hidden some where else but i want somethign to be displyed on the lcd when cdes are playng like track tittle

i have contemplated using a computer with an mp3 server to run it but then the problem comes wiht listing to the radio

2. BlkX

BlkX New Member

You'll have to use a kit of some sort to put an aftermarket HU in there. If you purchase an in-dash EQ or something similar you can probably fill in whatever space will be left over from using the kit.

As for suggestions, i've got an Alpine 9815 (retails for 499, can be found for cheaper), and i love it. It's relatively classy, but not the classiest HU on the market for sure. I think a Nak CD 400 would be a great choice as well, as long as it falls into that $4-500 range which i'm not sure it will. I think Nak is going to release it at CES next month. I also read today where some Rockford HU's that are actually made by Denon (look just like Denon HU's) are going to be on sale at sounddomain.com for around $350. As far as quality is concerned, that's probably your best bet for the $$$ if there are any available...they will go fast.

3. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

there are some radios that will fit with out a kit, i.e. din and a half. persoanlly i am betting that if you try and go the route of a single din radio and eq in the factory location you're not only going to be disappointed with the looks of it, but the performance in comparison to what you paid for. In dash, half din eq's are not only out of style (aesthetically), they just aren't very good when it comes to sound reproduction. you ought to take a look at some of the new Metra kits. they are fairly classy and normally right on when it comes to matching the stock colors of the dash.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

to find what fits, and to see some bigger than din sized units use www.crutchfield.com and I second the Alpine unit.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im leaning twards the alpine but i will most likely make a pannel to fill it since its wood trim all around the opening a black kit would not look good with gray dash and wood trim im thinking maybe thrwoing an lcd in there and hiding the deck in the arm rest but ill wait till after ces to make my desicion

6. Scott P

i don't recal the depth of the armrest at the moment, but i don't see why you are so adamantly against having a back dash kit. I can understand that the majority of the dash is gray, but keep in mind your hvac controls are still in black, so a back dash kit actually ties it all together. that is just my opinion.

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

you know what i'll suggest. :o

8. DG PiMp

DG PiMp Guest

alpine 9807, LOVE IT!

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

so what model should i get then

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

this is true but the plastic is not the same :/ i didnt know i could be this picky

11. twistid

that's what we put in the last mark 8, at the shop.

12. twistid

if it was going in my car, i'd go for the 9813. i love to play with it at work, just wish i had a car worth putting it in. :o

13. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

9815=9813 with blue buttons?

14. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

9815 has more bass engine features, stuff that you really don't need. I have the 9807 also and it is very nice, I like it better than my previous Clarion drx7675z.

15. Scott P

i know what you mean, i have a TL and the kit isn't an exact match, but a little paint fixes that, as for the H/U definately get an Alpine, 9807 or up and you can't go wrong

16. twistid

they are basically the same thing, different types displays, blue buttons...
    there is really not enough of a difference IMO, to justify the price difference.

17. BlkX

BlkX New Member

The 9815 has the two line display...and blue buttons. That's the only primary difference i've found so far between mine (9815) and my friend's (9813).

18. twistid

like i've told you before, when you've said this... they both have bass engine pro.

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

my bad, I should have consulted my Crutchfield catalog first. :o