ok, this is getting absurd

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Junkie, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I bought an 85 GS700 for $650 last friday. I figured it was a cheap, reliable bike that I'd be commuting on, as well as having some fun.
    What it looked like when I got it:
    [​IMG]
    Just after leaving my house wednesday morning, I locked up the front and lowsided at probably 15mph. Twisted the forks in the triples, broke the front brake lever, rashed up the little fairing, and broke the ignition cover in two (although it still covered the ignition and stayed on fine, it was in two pieces). I was fine, although my left hip is a bit sore from it. I had full gear on, of course.
    What it looked like after I swapped the front brake MC from the SV on, and pulled off the little fairing:
    [​IMG]

Then, I went on a ride today with some guy off a local motorcycle forum. He was on an FZ6, which he got in November. Guess what happens? Going into a turn, he hits the left rear of my bike. Both of us go down, but are fine (both of us have full gear on). The worst injury is that my right big toenail is bent back. Again, low speed as with the previous accident.

The bikes look pretty much fine. My nice Brembo master cylinder is a little bit rashed up, as is the lever for it, but not too badly. My left (rear) turn signal is broken, but I can deal with that.
    The ignition cover came off all the way though, and the bike slid down the road a bit on the rotor. Oops. It runs - but only on 2 cylinders. One of the little black things connected to the contacts that the rotor goes to (I guess it's a coil) is kinda torn open, and there's copper wire visible inside - not intact.
    [​IMG]

We manage to get it down to the bottom of the 1 lane road we're on, and a couple miles back down 1 but decide it's just not safe riding it the way it is.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...21.468567&spn=0.003279,0.005665&t=h&z=18&om=1 is where it is, but good luck getting it anywhere without a truck and it isn't really worth much :p

I don't have a truck and am trying to find one for tomorrow... there's also an 85 GS550 parts bike on the local craigslist for $100, I hope it uses the same ignition and cover.

this bike is fucking cursed :(

the guy is willing to pay for the bike, and gave me a ride back (40 miles on the back of an FZ6 isn't comfortable though) at least... I hope I get it running again

(yes, I posted this in OT too... don't bitch at me about it)

2. Tool

Tool Erect Member OT Supporter

fail

3. V!

V! New Member

dude, you've wrecked it twice in a matter of days

:ugh:

4. Junkie

It has been wrecked twice in a matter of days, yes. But is there some magical shield you have for the back of your bike that lets you stay up when someone hits you? The first time was my fault, the second time wasn't.

I put 8k on the EX250 without any crashes, now 400 miles on the GS and 2 crashes.

5. Junkie

no street equipment on it other than a license plate, and now it doesn't have a front master cylinder either

6. V!

V! New Member

how does one get parts for a bike like this>?

7. Junkie

For the GS? I can still buy the replacement parts (ignition rotor and other ignition stuff) brand new from bikebandit, but because the guy who hit me has done everything else right I'm trying to find it used to save some money (it's about $300 in damage to the ignition stuff, and another $300 for the replacement brake MC).

8. V!

V! New Member

:hs:

This is why i hate bikes, a small accident and it's $600 down the hole

9. Junkie

[​IMG]
    = $60 = bike will be running again this weekend hopefully

10. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

i had a cursed bike, ninja 250. had it back over by a friends friend in his truck. then hit and run backed into at work by a temp in his minivan. then randomly tipped outside my buddies house when i stayed the night.

then my friend bought it, let his idiot friend ride it who went over the bars and got fucked up good. then his other friend who had his permit rode it and lowsided in some sand after riding it without the owners permission.

man am i glad to see that bike gone outta the hands of people i know

11. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

maybe you should invest and stick with a cage

12. Junkie

I've got a cage, it just doesn't run :rofl:

I've been riding it to school pretty much every day since I got it running again, and it's been fine. Nothing even close to a crash. Also did a 600ish mile weekend (350 in a day, 200 on another day, prolly 50 the middle day - it was a 3 day weekend) and it did fine.