OK, ...."technically" .....(Ipod/Itunes question)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itwasntme, Jan 21, 2007.

1. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I should be able to delete all my music off my HD and just leave the Itunes library list and my Ipod will still sync correctly, yes?

See, I want to update my podcasts, add photo's and video, movies to my 80 Gig Ipod, but can't afford the real estate on my 17" powerbook HD.

I remember last time I synced with my nano over the summer I had deleted all my music, but not cleaned out or updated the library and I was able to sync to my Nano without it affecting what was already on there. It just added the new stuff.

Confirm?

2. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

but it won't try to sync it if the pod and the library both say they have "said file". Therefore it won't need to sync it it just looks for NEW files. yes? The library has to be manually managed if you delete the music from folder rather than I tunes. it will still list it.

3. slfmade

slfmade New Member

i dont know what the fuck you are talking about, i cannot understand that at all.

like LOLZILLA said, you cant sync a file thats not there

4. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Then fuckin listen. ;)

You do not sync anything that is already there. the Itunes program does not sync files that already exist on both the ipod and the library. So as long as you leave the library list alone and delete the music from the folder rather than from within Itunes you should be ok since the library does NOT auto delete anything nor does it check for music in the folders. You have to import it manually under all circumstances so it doesn't know the music is not there and therefore doesn't erase the pod when syncing.

The only way Itunes picks up on music not being there is if you try to play it in Itunes and it goes looking for it.

So you should be able to delete the music from the system folder in finder and free up 40 gig without it messing up your pod sync if you want to add something else to the pod later.

5. slfmade

slfmade New Member

ok i understand what you are trying to do, although i cant for the life of me understand why you would want to do that. how are you going to listen to music on your computer?
    to make that work than you would have to make sure to never edit or play that song, but thats kind of weird :ugh2:

6. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

:ugh:

im pretty sure that if you plug it in and theres not any actual mp3s there, then it will come up as syncing files being missed. if you put it on manual, then itunes wont try to sync it, and you should be okay.

7. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

That's why I bought an Ipod. So I could keep my HD free.

8. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I'm just gonna go ahead and try this with my Nano. I wiped 80 gigs clean earlier screwing around with the check boxes and have managed to get 1700 files back on the 80g pod so far (loading since 8pm) and have 17,000 to go :eek4: (fukin shoot me). So about NOON-ish tomorrow when the 80g is back loaded I'll wipe the HD clean, load the nano and see if it clears it out or not.

I was trying to go off of memory and remember if I got away with it with my 40g 4th gen. I was certain I pulled it off as long as the library list was there.

PS- apple..... fuck you for removing the firewire.

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

?

10. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

For what you're doing, you shouldn't be syncing your ipod at all. To sync implies that you have two libraries being maintained to match each other.

Set your ipod to "manually manage" as two other people has said, drag what you want onto the ipod, and stop worrying about the library in itunes.