SRS ok... so what's going on here? (long story)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by polar, Nov 2, 2004.

1. polar

polar Guest

well, i guess my past says addiction. but the current situation suggests otherwise. long read.

i came from a good family, in the suberbs and led a pretty normal childhood. my parents were pretty normal, nobody that i would ever consider addicts. i played soccer (in a HUGE soccer town), graduated regents and enjoyed myself. during high school i went to my share of keggers and have plenty of stories to tell, but i dont find that out of the ordinary for any high school athlete.

i went to a local college and that is where my love affair with music started... mostly underground hip hop and drum n bass, but not limited to any genre. i kept playing soccer in college and split my party time between after game parties and club nights that featured music that i like. keep in mind, up until this point i only drank when i went out. i didnt even smoke weed or cigarettes. nor did i in high school.

after college, i worked a few odd jobs and didnt find much satisfaction in those. myself and some old college friends were hanging out one night and discussing the prospects of opening our own night club... this idea started becoming more and more of a reality everyday. we researched, talked to friends within the scene and eventually found a venue. now this is where the addiction part may become relavent.

myself and another friend, along with the help of some experienced property owners in this city; opened our own club in march of 2002. we put together a 4 night week that took the city by storm. a top 40 night, a hip hop night, a drum n bass night and a deep house/chilled out night. i would like to point out that being a club owner can give you access to almost anything you could want... be it food, drugs, alcohol, sex... whatever. i took full advantage of this. over the course of the year we stayed open, i indulged in everything, usually in excess. we worked hard, we played hard. keep in mind, this was my first time EVER doing any drugs, aside from alcohol. i even took up smoking.

we were shut down by the city in 2003 after violating 4 new laws that were introduced as part of the RAVE act agenda. these were things we had no control over... unless we were to strip search all of our patrons. any drugs that i did in that place, or knew about didnt come through the front door, and never made their way into the public areas of the club. just common sense.

We did our time in court over these incidents that occured in our club, and we ended up getting off for various mistakes that the police made when investigating and making arrests within the club. woo hoo! we only lost everything... but got off without a criminal charge. i went back to my true love... customizing cars and installing electronics. stopped the drugs, went out drinking maybe 3 or 4 times a month and settled into a more regular lifestyle. things were going good.

fast forward to march of 2004. i decide to go to an old friend's new club. it was a good time. had 4 gin and tonics over the course of about 2 hours. was driving home, and got pulled over for speeding. i know how bad gin stinks on the breath, so i tell the cop what i had. he took my license and reg and told me to hang on. he comes back, asks me to search the car. i tell him "my license and reg is clean, is there any reason?" he tried some scare tactics... "i can take you in now... smell of alcohol" blah blah blah... i know i wasnt drunk. so after a couple of minutes, i say "fine, but dont ask me to unlock anything..." he didnt like this. without hesitation, he grabbed me and placed me under arrest for DWI. i didnt even go through any sobriety tests. car was impounded, had to post bail. 2,000. i'm sure that the problems i had with the city due to my club had nothing to do with this. :rolleyes:

call my lawyer the next day to get things in order for this total bullshit ticket. he suggests going to a rehab clinic to get an evaluation for alcohol. and to just keep my nose clean. cool. i went to this place and pretty much told them the story that i just typed. they asked about frequency of use, i was honest... "right now? booze maybe 3 or 4 times a month." but i think the story of my past fucked me. i got put in a 4 night a week program, that will last for no less than a year. the judge approved, and also put me on probation.

guess who the judge was? the same one that held bench during the cases that involved our club. :squint:

i am i getting screwed here? i am also reqired to attend AA meetings with part of my treatment... i really dont have time for this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2004
  2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

do you want to quit using drugs and alcohol? are you curious at all, even if you're not convinced?

3. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

You may be getting screwed, as you put it, but it could be worse. I worked it a prison for 21 years and I knew an infinitely sadder case of somebody who went to prison for negligent homicide because he had been drinking and driving and his friend was killed in the passenger seat in an accident. They were hit by somebody who ran a red light, but the law says, in my state, if you are DWI and somebody dies, whether you were at fault or not, you go to prison for negligent homicide. I'm sorry you got sideways of the law, but I have gone to AA for many, many years and it has been a very good experience. Maybe you should try it with an open mind, since you seem to have little choice but to go. You're always free to reject anything you wish, you know.

4. polar

polar Guest

thanks, i guess the point i'm trying to make is that i quit drugging and "heavy" drinking years ago on my own. i dont see what this program could possibly offer me. and i have absolutely nothing against AA, i have a friend who's father has been sober for 20 some-odd years because of the 12 steps, i think it's a great program. i guess i dont understand why I was put into a program like this, 1 year, 4 nights a week + meetings... is the story of my past use what caused this? i can hardly see how 3-4 drinks a night, 3-4 times a month can constitute this.

5. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

Polar, perhaps the program will have nothing to offer you, but let me offer you something here. The problem with alcohol is not always how much we drink or how often, sometimes it is a matter of consequences: and that is what you are dealing with here. Like I tried to suggest before, be glad you didn't go out and rob a convenience store or some such thing. It has happened. Our society is very upset with drinking drivers and the havoc they have caused, and you are paying part of the price for that. You paint a picture in which you may have exactly not broken the law, in the letter of it, perhaps not violated it exactly: did you ever have a breathalizer? Well, let me ask, why were you so particular not to let the officer ask you to open up parts of your automobile? In any case, unfortunately, you had about 4 drinks in about 2 hours and you got caught out. What you did was risk taking behavior at a minimum and you may have broken the law and you are in any case being punished for it with no way out. Know that if it ever happens again the punishment will be worse. Can you guarantee that if you continue to drink you will never drive again when doing so? That is what you need to be asking yourself. Is it worth the cost of $2000 and the classes and the meetings and what worse will happen next time? In my state, with 3 DWIs, people start going to prison.

6. polar

polar Guest

i'm sorry, i guess i was making this too difficult to answer.

A. i used to use alot of drugs and drink heavily, that is why i was stuck into this program.

B. i dont use use drugs anymore, drink very lightly and i was put into this program because of my admission of past use.

would that make it easier to get a straight answer?

7. rchlgnd

rchlgnd Guest

The straight answer I'm trying to give you is if you hadn't been caught breaking the law, speeding with alcohol on your breath, you wouldn't have been put in the program. They are responding to your honest responding to questions about your usage history. Why don't you fight this as hard as you can with your lawyer, and then accept the results if they are still negative and see what comes of it. You seem to have accepted the loss of your club with an easier peace of mind than this, which seems to me of lesser consequence by far.

8. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

So the answer is yes, you may be getting screwed. Now, what can you do about it? Do as the court asks gracefully and take it as a life learning experience or fight and complain about it? If you do it gracefully it will get over in the same amount of time as if you fight and complain, but you will enjoy yourself more. If you treat it as a life learning experience, it may save your life or the life of some other person who is close to you.

And, after a period of time, if you have an open mind, you might learn something good.

Hope this helps some.

9. polar

polar Guest

thanks, guys... so complying with the court's, P.O.'s, and program's requests... i dont even drink anymore. i've bean dealing with more bible beaters lately than i care to tear apart in a public forum. a quote from El-p comes to mind... "fucking with your theology like Darwinism in the bible belt." these people are ridiculous. i don't understand how some of you can deal with people this stupid on a regular basis. and i'm talking: meetings and group. these are some some of the most 2 faced, badly dressed white trash morons that i have ever had the misfortune to come across.

i'll do what is required of me, but i wouldn't rely on any of these people to work out an honest days work, let alone trust with my feelings.

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I find this sickly ironic. These people who you label morons are enjoying life, not getting arrested, not having to go in front of judges, etc...

and you claim to be smarter? :rofl:

I guess this is what happens when you don't have willingness (among some other indispensable traits.) For what its worth, I hope you figure your stuff out... but if you're human like we all are, perhaps it'll take another system shock to do so. Don't have a problem with drugs or alcohol? That's fine but I don't see why you'd be where you're at if you didn't.