GUN Ok, so the Ruger is in the shop

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SkyLeach, Oct 20, 2005.

1. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I put 120 rounds through it tonight and on the last 20 4 didn't fire. I waited 30 seconds on each (btw, that can make you sweat) and checked them and there was no mark on the primers. On the first one or two I figured I might have done something wierd like released the trigger too soon (is that even possible? I don't see how but...) but after 3 and especially #4 I dropped it in the shop.

So unless it's something clearly wrong with the gun this will be my last Ruger.

2. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

What kind of Ruger was it?
    This can happen when the slide isn't all the way forward or when the firing pin is gummed up.

I would take the gun down as far as you can if you know guns. If you don't, take it to a local gunsmith, say your problem and ask the price for a good cleaning.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

parts get old man, things break under stress...especially the stress of setting off small explosive charges.

Your Ruger has been reliable for the five-ish years you've owned it.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

last Ruger? is it a p-series? theyre usually the most reliable pistols you can buy. Call Ruger, they have the BEST customer service in the biz.

5. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

It sat in storage for 3 1/2 (4?) years and I only shot it 1 time before the recent activity. I ran 50 through it when I first got it, cleaned it well, decided to put it away for a while, just now got it back out. The gun should not be breaking at this point unless something was seriously wrong with it from factory.

As to gumming up or anything like that: same story. The gun simply hasn't been fired enough and has been well cleaned, kept oiled, and cared for (when it was seeing daylight at all). You can tell it's in fine shape from the pics.

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

It is a mechanical device. Things go wrong on occasion.

Just because an alternator dies doesn't mean you should get rid of the car.
    Fix the gun and test for reliability before trusting your life to it.