Ok...so I'll ask the mac crew

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I asked down in computers and programming cuz I didn't notice this forum....and that thread seems to have drifted off topic. I'm not trying to start a flame war or say that Win > mac or vice versa. I'm looking answers.

So tell me why is the mac your choice for computer?? I'm a SR CS student and debating on whether to buy a macbook or another windows based notebook and I honestly don't know which one to buy.

I like the looks of the mac but I'm concerned that all my old games and other software won't run on it. Also Dell has 1 year no interest financing which is VERY appealing to a cash strapped college student....especially when considering the price of the macbook.

So why did you buy a mac?? What keeps you interested in macs???

2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Macbook pro is my first mac. As a developer (j2ee mostly) I must say life has become much easier for me. I am also a BF2 addict, which my MBP plays better than my Dell desktop. Compare the price of a mac with a dell, same features and you might be surprised.

Now, it did take a few weeks to get used to it, and I still get hung up sometimes on something that I knew how to do with windows.

3. Coottie

Interesting...so how does programming on a mac in J2EE make you life easier. I'm not sure I understand.

Good to hear some games actually play better on the macs...that's a HUGE incentive for me cuz I gotta have my games.

4. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Keep in mind that, in most cases at least, Mac gaming is done through Boot Camp. Native Mac game selection is still pretty limited. But with boot camp, yes you can technically play anything that's available on Windows (because you're actually IN Windows at the time). Hopefully more Mac-native games will start coming out in the future, especially if Transgaming's Cider is successful.

I also have to agree that if you compare prices between Apple and Dell, with similar hardware configuration, you might be surprised at the results, especially for the higher-end stuff.

5. Coottie

Boot camp huh?? I dunno what that is. Time to google :)

6. Coottie

Ugh...Ok I may be dating myself but I don't care.

Boot camp sounds very similar to a program I knew of back in the early 90s called Soft PC. It ran on a Mac and let you run all the dos applications you wanted to. The trouble is, it was slower than dirt, even on the most powerful Macs at the time. I know because I used to sell macs and we tested it and the performance was awful!!

So what's the performance of Boot Camp like??

7. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

you should have tried google. Bootcamp lets you BOOTwindows, it does not emulate. I use crossover for windoze emulation.

8. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Yep. Boot Camp runs Windows NATIVELY. That means full performance. The catch is that you have to boot out of osx and into windows. Then there are options such as Parallels and Cross Over which do emulation and are not good for performance-intensive things like games.

9. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

www.apple.com take a look around haha

10. slfmade

slfmade New Member

ive been using a mac for 12 years or so, currently a college student. have owned pc's before(only 3 months out of the past 12 years have i not had a mac though) and i just cant do the pc thing, i mean, i can work them, but they just arent as user friendly and sleek. the mac just works. and its not what everyone else has. since os x came out i have not had a mac crash on me. i am able to use every program i need or want to without boot camp or parallels. there is a reason mac's are only sold and made by apple, and that sets them apart from just another windows laptop or box

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I bought mine because I thought it would be good to know more than one platform...I bought it from a coworker for $500 about 4 years ago. After using it side by side with my PC, I faded away from the pc to my mac because I found it to be more stable and easy to use.

im in no way computer illiterate but the mac ended up doing what I wanted from a machine and didn't give me ANY problems...seriously.

12. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

I got my own cuz it was free (read: relatively cheap compared to retail). I love many of the features but at times I do miss the general compatibility of Windows apps. I'd say the biggest things that I love about the Mac are 1) after doing everything imaginable with it for the last 9 months it's only crashed on me twice (compared to over 30 BSODs with my gaming windows pc in the same time frame) and 2) it's just easy, no "wizards", no searching 20 different folders just to change a setting, and my favorite the System Preferences button. Everything you could possibly want access to within 2 clicks.

Again, I do regret not having a Windows notebook as well as the iBook, because in all reality I'd probably use that more. Thats why my next lappy will be the MacBookPro so I can have both :wiggle:.

13. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I was interested in recording music back when I got my powermac in 2002. After some very fustrating efforts on the windows platform, I got a mac and it's been a great experience.

14. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

The Mac was a logical choice for me. At first I bought my old Quadra years ago just for music production, and I had an Amiga for video and some audio. It was the choice for the home studio. Still a niche that had no use for my profession so I used PCs for most of my work related needs. However that all changed with the introduction of OSX. Being that OSX is a nix based OS, that allowed me to do so much more. I could now open a shell and operate seamlessly between servers, routers, and other network devices much easier than I could on my old Mac, or on the PCs running Windows. I now had no real need to dual boot a PC between linux and windows. Since then I only use the other machines when I have to, the Mac is my first choice, since it covers all of my needs from work to recreation.

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I love my iBook, I've had it since Decemeber of 2002, and it still runs strong. Its getting time to upgrade though, and I'm looking at a macbook also. I've used a friend's Macbook a few times, and it runs VERY well. And if you really need a bigger screen, you can hook it up to an external screen when you're at your desk to play games.

The one thing that totally bugs the hell out of me is when people say that "The only thing they don't like about Macs is the limited programs". There is not a single thing that I haven't been able to do that I could do on a PC. Its might take a bit of time to find exactly the right program, but theres always some testing involved. Not to mention that although there are 30 programs to do something on a PC, 29 of them are total shit.
    There is one or two programs for each thing on a Mac, and all of them work.

versiontracker.com has anything that you want, if you're looking for a certain type of program.

16. Coottie

Thanks for the responses. I had basically decided to go with a windows based laptop because of some nice financing option (0% int. for 1 year) but then stumbled into my local Apple store...I didn't even know we had one here!

Oh man...now I'm so torn I dunno what to do. The 17" MBP looks amazing but it's a lot of money so I was thinking about the 15" model and Apple only has 3 months no interest....still....I'm much more impressed with the Apples then I was. It's partially due to all the time the worker spent with me...it was almost an hour. No hard sales pitch, no card even...said he was salary and it didn't matter...they just want to help customers. wow...very cool.

Apples are certainly appealing.

17. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I would for sure jump on the mbp. I can guarentee you that you won't regret it. Also, I'd suggest getting the AppleCareProtectionPlan, I know it adds a bit of money (arround 350 I think) but its free repairs and free help/service etc for 3 years. For sure worth the extra price, and they'll help you with every stupid thing you can't figure out, and won't be an asshole about it.

I love my mac. I'm like 3/4ths of the way to a Macbook, I'd go with the pro but the extras don't ballance out for me.

18. Coottie

heh...yeah I actually like the Macbook styling more. I've never been a fan of stainless anything....the whole stainless kitchen appliance craze has never appealed to me. In fact the white MB is my fav....but the graphics aren't good for gaming.

I'm a gamewhore....I just can't live without them. I do have an OK desktop rig to game on but it'd be so nice to have a mobile gaming rig. Now if they had a white MBP, I'd be hard pressed NOT to get one.

Oh and about the AppleCare...they said I could add the additional 2 years anytime during the first year...if I wanted to. I didn't have to buy it when I buy the laptop so that's possibly an option.