OK, I've had it... VISTA has got to go!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fathr O'Blivion, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Fathr O'Blivion

Fathr O'Blivion New Member

I bought a new laptop from Dell in May... (loved my last one)

I've had nothing but trouble with the damned thing from day 1! At this point I'm completely fed up with the daily blue screens, and the constant hardware/software conflicts with just about every program I use, so I finally decided I'm going back to XP!!

I have two questions:

A) It took me over 3 hours with tech support to get the new printer, this pos came bundled with, to work with Vista... If I switch to XP, can I expect to spend another 3 hours trying to get it to work again? and...

B) Can I install the legitimate copy of XP I have from my last computer, or will I need to use a bootlegged copy?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The XP copy from your last computer will still work as long as you have the serial#

Printer drivers for XP will not be hard to find.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Send it back to Dell and tell them to exchange the Vista license for an XP license, and to re-image your hard drive accordingly.

4. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Agreed. Another way to cut through the call time is to use online support, or try http://gethuman.com/

5. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

:werd:

Plus if his last computer is an OEM license from another manufacturer, he probably wouldn't be able to install that copy of XP on the new machine.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Oh and it's illegal to move an OEM license to a new computer anyway.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You know what though? MS doesn't really care about that, so long as it's only on one machine. You can have a complete system meltdown and have to replace every part on your pc and if you call in to tell them, they'll go ahead and approve it, even though it's virtually a new pc.

8. deusexaethera

That's true. The only restriction on OEM licenses is that they must be purchased along with a functioning PC; there's no requirement that they can't be transferred, it's just not something most people will bother doing.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Uhh, yes - there very much is a requirement that you can't transfer the license.

10. deusexaethera

No, there isn't.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

I'm not arguing with you Deus, go read the EULA. It is the primary difference between Retail and OEM aside from tech support.

12. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

For personal use, does the EULA really matter? Most people here probably don't have a legal copy of windows for every machine they have.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

It's not about whether you want to abide by the law because no one here really cares - but don't fool yourself into thinking what you're doing is above board.

14. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I'm not saying that it is above board, but if you can physically do it, then why wouldn't you if you aren't hurting anyone? I don't think moving an OS from one computer to another that you own is a big issue. I doubt Microsoft and their big bad terms of service are going to come after someone for moving their legal copy from a computer they don't use to a computer they do use.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The EULA requires you name your first born Cletus, too.

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Got stuck ordering 2 1705's with Vista last year. I just blew off Vista off both Dell laptops and loaded a standard version of XP Pro onto it instead. Runs like a bat out of hell now.
    Just go onto their website and download all the drivers for your model first, burn them to a CD and you're all set.

Only downside is that I lost the use of the nice 1 touch multimedia system since it was on a hidden partition.

17. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

18. deusexaethera

No, the primary difference between a retail license and an OEM license, is that the OEM license is subsidized by the hardware manufacturer, in exchange for which you agree to buy their hardware along with the discounted license. Once you've bought the hardware and the license, the hardware vendor couldn't care less what you do with the license, and Microsoft won't care either way because they already got paid when the vendor bought the pack of 1000 licenses from them. It's yours, you can transfer it any time you want. They don't make it easy, though.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

We are sort of not considering the fact that you deserve a REFUND for your Vista license, but you aren't going to get one are you?

20. deusexaethera

Well, I DID tell him to send his computer back and have it reimaged with XP instead of Vista...

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, and that refund will be... not coming. MS uses illegal monopoly techniques to force vendors to ship with a shit OS and you pay for a broken product because you have no choice.

Fuck that.

22. deusexaethera

If they reimage it, they reimage it for free.

23. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I laugh at people who have a hard time with Vista. Vista came preloaded on my computer (its an HP) and it runs great. No blue screens. I'm even running the 64 bit version. Still no problems. I can print just fine, I can do everything that I want to do with it. I don't see what the problem is.

24. 5Gen_Prelude

Fuck Deus, I used to feel bad when Jolly shit on you, but goddamn it, shit like this makes you look like a fucking tool and lowers your credibility when it comes to serving up advice. Here is a quote right from an OEM EULA:

Furthermore, Microsoft clarifies this:

Do I have to go on? I could give a rats ass whether anyone feels bound to this, but those are the facts. And just in case you don't want to read all that shit, I'll sum it up in handful of words:

YOU CAN'T TRANSFER AN OEM COPY OF WINDOWS XP FROM ONE COMPUTER TO ANOTHER ACCORDING TO MS

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So that would be violating a EULA. Boo hoo. MS shipped shit software you now have to remove, do they really deserve to have their EULA followed?