Ok, it's about time I explained why I'm here: My story

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ~*Pogovina*~, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Pogovina*~

~*Pogovina*~ Whip it! Whip it good!!

edit: xrays/pics added

At age 22, I was diagnosed and surgically treated for cervical cancer. I've been in remission ever since.

At age 24, I slipped at work and got a hairline fracture on my femoral neck. (hip bone- the part between the ball and the leg bone) While that in itself wasn't so bad, it hurt way more than it was supposed to and happened *way* too easy. An MRI found a golf ball sized tumor in my femoral neck. I had been walking, running, jumping, etc on a piece of bone about the width of my pinkie finger. I was ordered to stay in bed to reduce the risk of breaking the little bit of bone that was left.

In the meantime, my insurance company was fighting about where to send me and what to do about the tumor. i stayed in bed for 2 months waiting for them to get their shit straight, going to several doctors and getting tons of xrays, MRI's, bone scans and CT scans. They admitted me to the hospital and kept me there for 3 weeks before scheduling me for surgery. they rarely even let me sit in a wheelchair, in fear of the pressure on the little bit of bone that was left.

Finally, they got me in to surgery and removed the tumor, placed a rod that runs the entire length of my femur, 2 screws holding its place above the knee, a pin into my femoral neck/ball and packed bone graft where the tumor was.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I had to learn how to walk again and the recovery was horrendous. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to darvocet and that vicodin just didn't cut it. A few days after i was released from the hospital, I went back to the hospital via ambulance, I was so anemic that they wanted to give me a transfusion, but instead pumped a ton of iron into me- so much that i could taste it :barf:

I finally started hobbling around enough to use crutches and started physical therapy. They pushed me too hard, too fast and I ended up with a spiral fracture 6 inches down from the original fracture/tumor. The spiral fracture was originally misdiagnosed as surgical pain. It had already started to heal by the time they saw it on X rays and gave me 2 options. Go through 2 more surgeries and months in a full cast (removal of pin/screws/rod, break leg, set leg, cast, replacement of pin/screws/rod) OR have a slightly twisted, slightly shorter leg... I opted for the latter.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was flat on my back and/or unable to walk unassisted for well over a year. i gained a LOT of weight. Add depression into the mix and you have a 180 pound train wreck of a human being.

i decided about 2 months ago that NO MATTER how much pain, NO MATTER how much I hated it, the shift in eating habits or the amount of time i would be away from my family to work out, i was going to get ME back. The me that I was BEFORE cancer.
    I'm cancer/tumor free as of my last checkup and am sore as hell from working out. And I love every bit of it.

IB"Icanseeyourcooter"

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. gosideways

gosideways sr20omg

w00t! cancer crew checking in :wavey:

Well not quite cancer... in my case it was Hodgkin's Disease but either way it sucked. I got diagnosed at 16 and had to do 6 months of chemo + radiation. I was always porky kid and I lost some weight during treatment. Then I let myself go and became a fatty afterward. Realized the error of my ways at 18, lost 50 lbs and started living the healthy lifestyle... until the disease came back and I had to do a stem cell transplant. Lost more weight, came out of the hospital looking like a twig. After a year of recovery, I decided to start lifting weights. When I first went to the gym a year ago, I could barely bench 95 lbs. I'm 20 now, all my tests are coming back negative, and I do my sets with 155. :bigthumb:

Anyway props on the lifestyle change and remission status. I've been there and I know how hard it is to deal with.

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Unforunate story, you seem to be a strong person, I wish the best of luck to you.

4. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

Man thats some back luck, im glad everything is getting better for you....keep up the good work , never give up!

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Icanseeyourcooter --- j/k good luck with that and stay strong!

6. ~*Pogovina*~

and to you as well! Congrats on your tests coming back negative and your progress in getting in shape! :kiss:

7. ~*Pogovina*~

thanks from both of you. I just look at it as 'shit happens' and move on :dunno:

8. ~*Pogovina*~

:noes:

:rofl: thanks :)

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

Damn. Stories like that make me realize how trivial most of my problems are.

Best of luck.

10. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

Exactly

11. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

you dont need a story for anyone. the fact that youre trying should be enough for any person to respect you, but i do even more for posting that. good luck and stick with it. :)

12. ~*Pogovina*~

meh, it wasn't for show, i just get tired of explaining why I can't just get up and run my excess weight off like i want to.

13. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

wasnt taken as show, im saying you dont need to justify anything. youre tryin and it shows!

14. ~*Pogovina*~

:) understood. thanks :bigthumb:

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Awesome, and you are not alone. I had cancer about 4 years ago and beat it. I actually made a big effort to keep myself heavy in order to be properly nourished and now I'm pretty obsessed with improving every part of my life that needs it. My body is just a small part of that.

16. ~*Pogovina*~

Glad to hear you're doing well now. Good luck!

:werd: :kiss:

17. ~*Pogovina*~

lol, no. I'm living in the stone-age, i don't have a cell phone. they think it was related somehow to the other cancer. besides, i'm a righty. wearing anything on my left side (except for a watch) feels WEIRD.

18. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

:rofl: x 11ty @ I can see your cooter... omg...

:hug: on the story.. cancer survivors are excellent examples of why it's important to never give up on anything.

19. 97_ESi

97_ESi New Member

Awesome job on kicking cancer in the ass.....I saw your other thread and you've made awesome progress!!!!

I had cancer too, leukemia (I had it and can't spell it :big grin:) when I was 2 years old, been 'officially' cured for over 10 years!!!

20. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

LOL, as soon as I saw that pic I was like "I'm gonna post 'HAHA I see your cooter bone!'"

Good job on the recovery

21. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I kind of wondered if mine happened due to watching movies on my laptop with it on my lap. I also lived right next to a farm for a year where they sprayed pesticides. :dunno:

22. nonplus

nonplus New Member

Inspirational, and you're making great progress too :bigthumb:

But I have to admit, before I read any of it, the first thought I had was, "I wonder what the xray would have looked like if she had had something big in her cooter."

23. Moon

Moon New Member

Glad you are well now :)

24. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

Its great that you can take control of your life and that you recovered. Your posts always inspire me to never give up.

25. SuperGriff34

SuperGriff34 OT Supporter

wow geeze, interesting story, best of luck to ou. i know how you feel in a way. i was in a car accident a few years ago when i was 17 (im 20 now) I was stopped, guy hit me in a work/consstrution van, i was in a honda civic, hit me doing 80, sent me across the road and into a telephone pole. My right shoulder and both my knees are messed up from it and its hard for me to run and lift weights, but i decided like you did that no matter what im not gonna let it stop me! Glad to see that things are working out for you too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.