A&P OK I'm about to pull the trigger ... v.Nikon crew

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Cobber, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

So I'm ready to buy a camera ...

I can get the D80 this week or I'd have to wait an other month for a D200.

What are the pros the D200 has over the D80? Why get the D200 over the D80?

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

what are your goals? What are you going to be shooting? What lenses do you plan on getting?

These answers will determine just how much camera you need...

3. Cobber

Everything ... weddings, portraits, family pics, candids, product shots ... I need an all round camera for a few years till I get a house with room for a studio.

Lenses ... 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-120 3.5 and as soon as the camera is bought I will start to save for the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

4. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

I bought the D80 and it's a pretty wild camera. If you really want the fps, 5fps compared to 3fps is pretty significant, but 3fps is more than enough for me. The sensors, viewfinders, and focusing systems are more or less the same (though I think there's some technical distinction between the way the sensors process, something to do wtih colour). Most people say the D200 feels more solid or more professional, but I tried out both and I couldn't notice that it was that much better in terms of feel, but I didn't get alot of time with it. I don't think it's worth the extra money, personally.

5. Cobber

The body construction is the biggest deal ... I don't know how a plastic bodied camera would hold up.

6. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

I think the subframe is all metal, and honestly, it feels really, really solid. Have you gone out and held the D80 yet?

7. Cobber

yea ... i've played with just about every nikon camera

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Here's a comparison page:

http://www.slrtoday.com/articles/13...s-Nikon-D200---A-Side-by-Side-Comparison.html

If you read through that, and aren't sure, get the D80.

The people that need the D200 know why they need it, and if you're not sure, you won't notice the differences.

I wasn't sure if I needed the 5fps instead of 3, and the white balance sensor in the D80 was plenty enough for me.

So I got the D80. I LOVE it.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

are ya planning on using it to beat someone to death?

I mean it is camera equipment AND computer equipment. Neither of them are made to handle being dropped, kicked, or used as a weapon...

and it's not like plastic is all that fragile...

10. Cobber

any D200 owners want to chime in?

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

a d200 owner will be somewhat biased because I think it is a well rounded camera. I think the d80 is a nice camera too but is more of a novice camera. d200 is a little closer to a pro camera and feels like one too. I just like how it is setup.

12. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

i think the d200 is a better camera, BUT i dont think saying a plastic camera is any worse off than a metal camera isn't quite true. remember, plastic bounces and metal bends.

i've used my d70 for two years and its still fine cosmetically. the plastic they use to make the camera isnt by any means cheap.

but the d200 is like a mini d2x.

13. natelam

natelam New Member

If I weren't shooting to pay the bills the D80 would easily suffice. The D200 is my backup camera and is as reliable as my other bodies and half the price. I will be honest I find that I'm going to it more and more as a primary because of the size and capability. If you are going to be doing paid work, just cough up the extra dough, especially if you are going to eventually have studio space you will appreciate the D200 more as it has advantages for rigorous shooters. It will pay itself off in the long run anyways.

That being said there's nothing wrong with the D80 so if you want to save money and don't need to depend on it as a working tool, sure, why the hell not, it takes fantastic photos. Also, the D200 is NOT a miniD2x...but it's close, and in some ways in my opinion is better adapted for certain types of work.

14. copeland

copeland smarter than you

If you're at all like me (a noob) I'd say go the d80 route...IT has lots of room to expand with as your talent grows, and as previously said, it shares alot of components with the d200 so it may be the better bang for the buck...

That said, my dad has a d200, and the other night when playing with both, I couldd see a significant difference...the menu is similar but the options within are much more robust in the d200...If I was making money from my camera in the world of photography (such a studio or portrait work/advertisments) I'd go d200 if I was a amateur/recreational photographer (which I am even though I use my camera for work) I'd go d80...it's a lot more straight forward.

So you really need to decide, in my opinion, if you are an advanced photographer who fully understands the principles and science (??) of photography...

I got my d-80 and I'm happy...I prefer my more simplistic button layout, slightly smaller body, and the fact I share some componenets with the higher priced d200...

15. copeland

you mean they make cameras more pro then the d200? I thought it could pretty much handle anything...

16. Cobber

I dunno ... I'm afraid that I will get the D80 and go to change a setting just to find out it is only available in the D200

Also once the studio comes so will a D2Xs

17. copeland

holy crap man, if you're getting that serious then go the d80 for sure...

the d80 would be a better more compact camera to drag around and then you'd have the d2x for serious work....

I couldn't imagine dragging a d200 around and then still packing a d2x...

just my opinion....All the gear will swap between them regardless if it's the 80 or the 200. I seriously hate the bulk of the d200 with a battery pack and a 100-400 lense...You need a tripod for most of the work...the d80 is still manageable in your hand even with a larger lense...

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Sounds like you plan on investing on quite a bit of equipment. Well if you have the money and you have the knowledge to use it, then by all means, go D200 with a 17-55 and a 70-200

eventually get a 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.4 12-24mm(or the coming replacements)

Make sure to put in your investment lights and flashes..whichever you prefer, one Sb-800 to start would be ideal and depending on what you prefer start adding more flashes or more dedicated lights

so yeah your initial investment should look something like this

D200 body + 17-55 2.8 + Sb-800 + 2gb of memory

now isnt that the sweetest config ever

19. copeland

at leas till next year :mamoru:

what would you resommend to me?

I have the d80 with a 18-70 kit lense...2 x 2gb sd cards...

20. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Dx format isnt going anywhere..even with full frame being introduced

so for your choice..lets see, what are you shooting and how much do you want to invest?

21. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

If I could suggest, you should go out and buy the 50mm 1.8. It's basically where it's at for portraits and low light work. Very fast, very sharp, small, and cheap. I use it all the time, probably more than my 18-70. You should look at the 70-300mm VR down the road, but unless you specifically use alot of zoom for wildlife or sports, I wouldn't rush out and get it. Or if you're a baller, the 18-200 2.8 VR.

22. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

There is no 18-200 2.8 VR.

23. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

if there was it would be the single most demanded lens in the history of dslrs..even if the quality wasnt all there

it would also be one FUCKING HUGE ASS BITCH!

24. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Haha. In the history of SLRs, period.

25. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Haha, fuck, I meant 70-200.