ok I need your help OT!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quickone, Mar 31, 2007.

1. quickone

quickone New Member

I have an emachines comp that im working on for someone. it's a w2686 model AMD 2600+ I know I need to replace the psu and mobo. problem is im not sure what kind of proc this thing has I dont want to buy a mobo that isn't compatible with the proc/ram. I believe its a socket 462 but not sure. Can anyone verify this?

oh and the mobo is a am37

2. quickone

quickone New Member

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Get the heatsink off.
    You'll find something on there that'll give you some sort of an idea of what kind it is.
    Off the bat if it looks like this http://bestcomputerusa.com/catalog/images/Socket462.jpg then it's a SocketA (462) and then you only have to worry about if the mobo supports FSB of 200/266/333/400 and up to a XP 3200+. If it can do that then whatever that CPU is will work just fine.
    The problem these days, still finding a mobo that supports a Socket A CPU.

Don't worry about the RAM too much. If the RAM is made to work with that CPU then it's DDR and the mobo that supports that CPU will support DDR no matter what size or speed the stick(s) is/are.

//edit
    Finding one cheaper. Remember the rule of "supply and demand"? Because those mobos and CPUs are being phased out, the supply is low so the price gets jacked up.
    I mean would really pay $50-60 for a FX5200? If your mobo doesn't have an AGP slot and you need a video card, that's the best you can get.

And yes that mobo from ZipZoom should be fine. More than likely will have to reinstall the OS and the eMachine recovery CD might not work.

4. quickone

quickone New Member

its a AMD 2600+ I know that and according to the mobo site its 200/266MHz FSB

5. quickone

quickone New Member

6. quickone

quickone New Member

I believe it has onboard video...gaming is not an issue so no video card is fine...and the current mobo does have an AGP slot but again it's not needed. He just wants it up and running again for his kids. I know I will have to reinstall the OS most likely and for some reason when i first worked on this computer a few months ago the recovery cd's didnt work anyway so thats not an issue

7. quickone

quickone New Member

It is a socket 462.. took the heatsink off

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

9. quickone

quickone New Member

10. Doc Brown

Wait... It doesn't even turn on, and you are going to
    replace the motherboard and psu?

11. quickone

quickone New Member

It turns on..nothin comes up on the screen. monitor acts like the comp was never turned on. tried a new video card and nothing...its not the ram and the hard drive works. I keep reading about how the psu's on these machines go and fry the mobo's. the light on the mobo doesnt turn on and neither does the ring around the power button. so yeah im gonna replace both. When i plug it into the wall before i turn it on i hear a humming almost like from that of a flourescent light

12. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

No the part I was talking about the video card was just an example of what I was talking about the supply and demand thing.

13. Doc Brown

Ok then, you're probably on the right track. If it was me, I would replace
    just the psu first. It could be the cause of the motherboard light not coming on as well as the hum.