ok i have 2000+ for a vw

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Shogun, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

im looking for a golf, old newer whatever. I want to make the fucker fast, is it worth it. any good years or ideas?

2. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

a)Fast in a straight line = not gonna happen
    b)Fast in the twisties or auto-x = you can do it for sure.

If you choose option b), buy an mk1 or mk2, add some suspension, a good set of tires, and maybe a cam.

3. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

depends on if that 2000 is your entire budget, or if it is what you want to spend on just the car, just mods, etc.

Theres quite a few people in my area that have older MK2 GTI's with 1.8T swaps and s/c'd VR6's, which are all pretty damn fast.

4. Skobic

Skobic New Member

stock mk1 and mk2 have lame engines so best bet would be to get a 1.8T in any of the two...

+ mk1 with a 1.8T has drag potential... i know this guy who has mk1 with an audi TT engine supercharged to 400hp... that car does 11sec runs on the qmile (bear in mind the car is 1500lbs heavy)

5. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

i hate to break it...but for 2k...unless your doing all the work your not gonna be able to buy and make a car fast...

best bet is a mk1 or mk2 from the junkyard...you can mix-n-match a nice mk2 from one for probably 500-800 bucks...w/ a 16v...then turbo it w/ the rest of the money...but u'd have to piece a kit together urself cuz even a shitty turbo kit sells for like 2000...

for those who say 1.8t...too expensive of a motor to use...u can get a vr for cheaper...but u need atleast 5k if u want a motor like that...don't use anything audi...cuz vw has the same exact thing just audi stuff is more expensive

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

First thing is to buy a decent car to work on.
    Next, begin saving money. Enjoy the fuel mileage for a while.
    Your first mods should be suspension and brakes. These cars are capable handlers, but the stock suspensions aren't the greatest...especially considering their age.

A set of coilovers will do wonders and some new rotors, pads, brake lines and good quality fluid. Learn to drive that monster.

If your car came with a 16v motor, consider yourself lucky. These are a lot of fun although they are a little more costly. A set of cams and a decent exhaust (and a chip to match) will give you a nice boost in power.
    You can look at swapping the 16v head onto an ABA block (Mk3 2.0l) with a few minor mods, its more or less bolt on parts. 150hp out of such a machine naturally aspirated is easy.
    The biggest problem is that when you drop the 16v head on the ABA block, you go down to about 8.5-1 compression ratio. Boost fanatics will quickly see the benefit though. Get an OBD1 ABA block for its forged components and oil squirters.
    Apply turbo and intercooler and enjoy.

7. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

uh yeah the mk2 `16v gti is still known as the best hot hatch ever. pretty lame allright :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

to answer the question, you can find a nice 16v mk2 for $2K, but with that amount of money to make a fast car, you're first looking at the wrong kind of car and second, will need to get really creative. you can do it though, look at grassroots motorsports yearly challange

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The A2 GTI can be one hell of a handler.
    I don't know what you mean by wrong kind of car. :hsugh:

9. Skobic

Skobic New Member

cmoooon 16v vs Turbo??? bahhhhh

10. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

i know all about mk2's; i drove a 16v for 5 years. for $2K, he's not going to build a fast one, and that's that. want a fast car for that money? find an old z car and do an sbc swap

11. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

lol. dont take it out of perspective. and dont forget that without the 16v gti, you might not have the 1.8t at all