GUN Ok guys with lights mount on pistols

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Oct 20, 2006.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Why do you do it?

I mean besides looking cool and mean.

I mean someone breaks into your house are you really going to clear the house one by one? Unless you light the intruder up as soon as you turn it on you have given yourself away.

Can someone explain this trend to me?

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

so you can see what you're shooting at :ugh:

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

they make sense to me for a squad to all have them, but one on one against a potentially armed intruder they give away your position and you no longer have surprise on your side. I know they are meant to light up the target, I just an never see them really working that way in reality.

Maybe I am just missing the boat on this one.

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

There are pros and cons to having one on a handgun. For me, I would rather not have to have a gun in plain view to have light...which you could use a second flashlight to identify....pretty much defeats the purpose of the weapon light. If you have a long gun as a defensive weapon, that's a different story.

And yes...if you use ANY light, you are a target. If you fire a shot, the flash is a target. I would suggest taking a class that offers a night shoot and deceide for yourself what works.

5. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

I don`t know bout your light,but mine,will blind your ass.and when you`re blind,you can`t see.think of it like this.imagine you walking in your house,pitch black.and out of nowhere,you have a very bright lite right in your face.it`s going to mess you up.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

It frees up my 2nd hand to use for dialing the phone, opening or closing doors, etc. I take it you haven't had a tac light flashed in your eyes while in the dark have you? They are bright enough to blind and disorient you, not give away a position. By the time your eyesight has returned enough to even get an idea of where the light is coming from, you have been identified and probably bleeding from the holes.

7. Platinum_Thunder

I don't want to start an argument here, but if you are going to use a light, you better be fucking moving.

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

So best bet is to have night vision and a handgun, making the first shot count?

Already one step ahead :coold:

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'll start by saying that i don't have a light on my HD gun.

generally speaking, if a perp is in your house, you know your way around and you can probalby tell from the sounds as to where he is. you mvoe to him in the dark, then shine the light as you're barking orders at him. once you see him and have him in your sights and the light on him, there won't be much he can do but give you a reason to shoot him or surrender.

10. Platinum_Thunder

Master of low light right there.

11. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Thats where my night vision monoculars come in :o

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

like i said, that was just my take on things. there's enough ambient light outside my house that as long as my eyes have adjusted, i can talk around my house without issues with no interior lights on and where it's too dark, i know my way around. i don't see how that's not completely understandable.

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Should I insert the large "DUH" here? :)

14. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

lock an IR with that and things become realy fun ahaha

15. Platinum_Thunder

Lots of people in this forum need the obvious stated though :mamoru:

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I could see getting into a "safe room" shutting the door and flashing the doorway if it opens. Or if you hear a noise in the house you want to check out, flashing it to illuminate someone. Of if you want to check out the rusting in your garage using it to illuminate someone. Keeping a light on someone hands free while you call the police.

I think people worry way too much about flashlights from both sides. Some people think they're bullet magnets and if you turn one on you're sure to die because someone is going to lock right onto you and start shooting. The other nut side thinks that a flashlight is going to strip paint off the walls, singe hair, and leave a person on the ground crying. Its a flashlight mounted in a convenient location. You'll probably never need the gun. you'll probably never need the flashlight. If you do its just a handy hands free flashlight.

17. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I think it was Thunderbear that pointed this out, which I later tried and found to be true. If you've got the light on your night stand and you reach for it, more than likely you're going to end up knocking it over instead of grabbing it. With it attached to your gun it's not as noisy.

18. Furner

Furner New Member

i have one, but i really dont like it, it gets in the way, and having a on-gun light is a disadvantage compared to a handheld light. someone on here mentioned a long time ago that once you turn on that light, you announce the location of your handgun/your person. with an off-gun light, you can get that light far off to the side of you decieving the perp as to your actual position. think about a perp in a dark room rushing you with a knife. all they know is that the bright light probably has a gun either attached to it or damn near it. get that light away from you while you point shoot with the other hand, and the perp now is rushing towards your weak side instead of your neck. i have abandoned my gun light for now because i dont have a holster that will take the gun with the light mounted, and i wont use the light anymore until i do have a proper holster.

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont use a mounted light, but I would clear the house room by room, my basic plan is to release the dogs then clear the house. I keep my light next to my bed with the end poking out of my dvd tower easy to grab no worries of it falling.

20. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Simple.

Because if you go peek around because you think somebody is in the house, they CAN'T SEE THE GUN if it's attached to the flashlight.

21. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I have an M6 Tac light on my G22 and I could care less if I give my position away. If it's a night and I hear something where I feel the need for my gun I'm damn sure I want a light also and it'll be attached. It doesn't affect my shooting ability and I can still shoot properly with both hands on the grip. Also, it's harder to track someone with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other. If I have them with my pistol and light combo, if I can see them there is a barrel right on top of them.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

positive threat assessment.

23. CString

CString New Member

:werd: you can walk around with a flashlight and no gun, a flashlight and a gun, or a gun-mounted light and nobody in the house will know if you have a gun or not.

24. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I like the red dot in the middle of my beam, personally :dunno:

25. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I don't have a weapon mounted light, I use a handheld. But I also know clearing a house is never a good idea by yourself. Unless it's the casual I've been out of town for a few days, look around. But if I have someone in my house, I'm barracading myself in a room and calling the Police. Room clearing is scary shit, even more so without any backup.

I guess I'm lucky, I live alone in a small house. Lock the bedroom door, push the bed up against it and call 911 all the time holding my shotgun and shouting commands to leave. I think they'd get the point and I don't have to play SWAT commando....let the guys who get paid do that for me.