ok guys, try and figure this one out....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AzGuy79, May 30, 2007.

1. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

i have a dell inspiron 9100 laptop. 1 gig ram, 100gb hard drive, 2.8ghz pentium 4. i just installed the hard drive. basically, everything is slow as shit. i cant watch movies on it because it lags WAY too much, the picture just jumps around. same with streaming video on the internet. even the internet is laggy. what are some possible problems? note that this hard drive has been in for a day, so spyware/viruses are out. also, this is the same reason i got a bigger hard drive, as it was the same problem on the old one.

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

If this was happening with the old HDD, then i would venture to say that the HDD is not the source of the problem.

I take it you did a clean reformat and install of (i'm assuming) XP?

Even tho its most likely a clean install.... check what the CPU doing. Do you see any one process eating up all your CPU cycles?

Also test the ram... bad ram can do all kinds of fucked up things.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

what speed is the hard drive?

Did it do this before the new drive went in?

4. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

clean format of XP SP2. what should i be looking for on the cpu cycles? i only have like 34 processes running. and how do i test the ram?

7200 rpm hard drive. and yes, it did this on the old drive too.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Go to the task manager, sort by CPU... see if anything is chewing up the CPU. Its doubtful, since this is a clean install... but worth looking.

Google 'memtest' and you should find the page where you can download an .iso that you can burn to a CD, boot from, and right into the memtest application, which runs your RAM thru a series of tests to see if its good/bad. (The Ubuntu CD/DVD also has memtest already on it, so if you have that handy, just stick that in and select Memory Test from the Ubuntu startup menu.)

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Do you have the proper driver installed for your graphics card/chipset?

If it's onboard, have you allocated enough memory for it?

7. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

i used dell's windows cd rom that they sent me for this, so im assuming that the drivers are right. how do i allocate memory for the stuff and where do i find that sort of thing?

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well assuming that it's onboard, the setting would be in your bios.

As far as the drivers go, was this a disc that you put in and just installs everything for you with one click?

Or did you have to personally select each driver to be installed?

If each one separately, then you probably did install the driver for the video.

But still, I would go to the Dell site and download the most up to date driver that they have.

9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Sounds like a video driver issue, check out dells website like others have suggested.

10. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

so a video driver would cause movies and my internet to lag? i dont see how thats possible.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I guess that's because you didn't know that video cards have built-in MPEG decoders. The people here aren't full of shit (at least not as a rule) unlike in the main forum; don't get too cynical in here.

Anyway, this sounds to me like all of your drivers are incorrectly installed, regardless of whether or not they came from the Dell CD. Computers run terribly slowly when they have to rely on the generic 386 drivers that work with all basic hardware.

12. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

well i didnt know that about the decoder stuff. i didnt intend to come off as being cynical, i just dont know much about this stuff. and what do you mean by drivers being incorrectly installed? and how do i go about fixing it? ive already ran some diagnostics from the dell website, but it said everything was fine.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Run Windows Update in "Custom" mode and see if anything pops up in the "Hardware" category. Install anything it finds -- that will update any drivers that can be updated. If that doesn't solve the problem, things get more complicated. You'll need to go into Device Manager and uninstall each device one at a time, then reboot and see if Windows can re-install the drivers for each device.