GUN Ok folks..help with new gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Oct 7, 2002.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Im planning on buying my first pistol (so far i only have rifles) and i need some advice. It will be used mainly for home defense, but it WILL also be used for recreational type shooting (target range and such). I am pretty sure i want a .40 S&W caliber over the 9mm. So far i have been looking at the Glocks, Sigs, and a couple Taurus Milleniums. My only concern with the Glocks are price (dont have a big budget) and the safety on them. Anyone have opinions on these or better ideas?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the safetIES (there are 3) on glocks are unbeatable. if you are looking for a manual safety that keeps you from pulling the trigger, then keep your damn finger off the trigger. as far as .40 goes, myself and a few others have already commented in other threads about the availability of .40 ammo if things hit the fan. there are many good pistol, and sig is also a good maker, i just can't stand their triggers.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You can rest assured, a Glock is as safe or safer from a spontaneous discharge (dropping the gun or something) as any gun made. It's only trigger safety is the small lever built into the trigger however, so if you want a manual safety that secures the trigger, you really must look elsewhere.

For performance/price ratio, i personally think the Glocks are unbeatable by anything currently on the market, i have several.

You can't go wrong with a SIG either, but again, double action decocker, no manual trigger safety. Top notch quality, but you know you're paying for it. $$ If you have the cash to invest in a SIG, you should compare H&K USP series, again, top notch, price to match.

One option you might consider, an idea i've been toying with myself lately, is to find a good condition used S&W 4006. Manual safeties galore! Should be looking at $350-450 for a nice example. (Incidentally, most Glocks go for $475-500 new. ;) ) "Hi capacity" 11rd mags are still fairly cheap for the 4006 too.

You could also consider a Beretta 96. They're pretty hefty sized, so they're not the most practical for carrying concealed, but for just range use and bedside defense, the 96 would do you well also. i hate to admit it, but my buddy's 96 shoots really nice, the bulk soaks up the recoil and gives a nice easy push. This is all personal opinion though, Beretta's quality is up with the rest as well.

4. kellyclan

i really don't have much experience with Taurus. The few times i've shot them, they went bang. :dunno: i didn't shoot them enough that i would comment on their reliability, but their quality seemed to be very good.

SHTF or shit hits the fan is sort of gunspeak for absolutely worst case scenerio. Like in the movie Red Dawn.

5. kellyclan

SHTF tends to mean, like i said, total worst case scenerio. A complete breakdown in society as we know it in the US today. Whether it be from foreign or domestic forces, the thinking is: What would be the best weapon to have if i was forced to depend on my weapon for my life, for a period longer than a week or so.

Right now, i'll mention, this is all quite obviously, pretty damn unlikely. But it never hurts to speculate. You should ALWAYS have a plan on what you will try to do, especially when you're dealing with something as lethal as a firearm.

For pistol caliber ammo, 9mm and .45 are much more plentiful than .40, and available from sources outside the US as well. Were the "Russians" to invade and close down factories, .40 ammo would become scarce in a matter of monthes. Whereas 9mm and .45, in such wide use around the world, would still likely be a replenishable stock.

i'm of the opinion, that is such a case, you'd be using a rifle anyway, so it's a little moot, but like we said: Red Dawn. About as likely as Spetnaz jumping into our schools football field. :big grin: The realistic, practical value of the .40, in my opinion, far and away outweighs the possibility of an ammo shortage.

For Glocks in .40, i would definitely go for the G22. It's a nice, hand-filling size to let you get a full grip, and the newest ones have attachment rails molded in, to facilitate accessories like a light. The ITI/Streamlight M3 would be an excellent investment, particularly if you may think about confronting a intruder in your home in the dead of night.

The G27 would be a good option if you want to carry the gun concealed as well, but keep in mind, the smaller grip may be a little more complicated to get a hand on when you're groggily trying to wake up and figure out what's going on.

You could go in between the two size-wise, and pick the G23, have a bit of both worlds. Big enough for your hand, but small enough to conceal with not too much effort.

i personally have th G23 and G27 .40's, since i often carry them concealed with me. If this isn't a concern at all, i'd go with the 22, but if you want the option, i'd take at least one step down in size. My G23 with a M3 light and tritium night sights is what i'll be grabbing if someone breaks in. :cool:

6. RedSS2331

RedSS2331 Mero Mero

Just recently, I was in a situation very much like yours. I decided on a CZ 75 .40 S&W. I researched them and found that many people had many good things to say about them. Plus the price is nearly unbeatable (about $400 out the door). I pick the gun up next week, so I'll post my thoughts then if you'd like. Good luck.

7. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

.45 > .40 > 9mm

8. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

Heh, thats why we depend on people like you with your vast arsenal to protect the rest of us. :bigthumb:

9. Loser

Loser Guest

i have a bareta in 9mm love the gun woulnt trade it for any other 9mm out there. shot alot and never had a single problem and its accuate too. i had a S&W i hated it. wood like to get a 40 cal in either the bareta or iv always wanted a browning hi-power. 40 cals are more effective with one shot stops but the 9mm is good too and 9mm can be bought for alot less i can 100rds at wal-mart for $10.

10. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

If cost is an issue, go for the Ruger. They're pretty heavy and aren't as refined as other pistols, but it'll shoot every damn time you need it to. Things are reliable as all hell. Plus you can shoot reloads with 'em. (a no-no for Glocks)

11. kellyclan

As with any major manufacturer's firearms, shooting reloaded ammo will normally void your warranty for any problems that may arise from doing so. Glocks are no different than the SIG or Taurus in this respect. Properly loaded reloads are just as fine in a Glock as any other gun.

Perhaps what he meant is you cannot shoot lead bullets through a Glock barrel. Due to the very tight fit of the bore-to-bullet in the Glock barrels, soft exposed lead will quickly build up in the rifling and cause failure or even explosion. For this reason, Glock states you should only use metal jacketed bullets (FMJ or JHP type).

If you want to shoot exposed lead bullets through a Glock, you need to get a new barrel from one of several aftermarket sources such as Bar-Sto that use conventional rifling.

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i have a friend that shot reloads in a match in his glock, and when on of the casings blew up, throwing the ejector into his fingers (which were broken), glock took the pistol and replaced everything on it that was even slightly damaged. new barrel, new ejector, possibly some other things, all for free, and sent it back to him. now, they probably won't do that for everyone, or even most people, but they did for him. the casing was a reload that had a another casing in it, so somehow, two casings were pressed together, and he didn't notice, or something to that effect. maybe it just had a crack in it. anyways, it blew up, they fixed it.

13. arro

arro Guest

I agree, the Ruger P90 .45 AUTO is an excellent gun, well overengineered than it needed to be, since it was initially designed as a 10MM offering for government use.

I liked mine, it had a comfortable grip, nice looks yet with simplicity, double or single action, and easy to break down.

14. taco

taco Guest

Well a handgun is hardly optimal for home defense. Home defense is a good situation for a shotgun and buckshot.

Any centerfire handgun isn't optimal for target shooting either. I handload and I can get 22 rimfire ammo cheaper than I can get a primer for a centerfire.

Why don't you get a pistol grip shotgun with an 18 in barrell for home defense and a ruger 22/45 22lr autopistol for target shooting. that way you can have the best of both worlds and still come in under the price of a sig.

A handgun is only a last resort to be used to fight your way back to a real gun. (or something like that, I forget how the quote goes and it is late and I am tired)

15. fireman9500

fireman9500 Guest

i have shot nearly every type of small caliber handguns, and if you are looking @ price, go w/ the ruger. i have it in a 40 (p94) and it has taken a beating. it is my back up-back up-back up gun, but it is great. never any problems with it, easily field stripped, and easy to clean. dont get me wrong, glocks are great guns, but if you are going to spend that much....(500-900) you might as well just get a H&K. actually shot one underwater! in sand, ect and always came out firing. i think that your best bet would be to just shop around and find a used gun. maybe a gun show, ect that you can pay cash for??? and not have people ask where gun #23452345-098 is. just a thought. the shot gun is a GREAT tool for short range tatical weapon. oh yea, remember, most people have vests now days, so some black tallons would be a good idea too, or some defense loads if you have kids in other rooms........good luck

16. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

17. Platinum_Thunder

:)

18. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

Reasons? Or are you just biased.

bigot!!!

19. kellyclan

After you've frozen one, fired it, buried one in mud, fired it, buried one in sand, fired it, buried one in dirt, fired it, buried one in clay, fired it, soaked one in salt water, fired it, thrown one off a 4 story building, fired it, run one over with a tank, fired it all in less than 4 hours and went on to shoot sub-2" groups for a perfect 300 score, come back and tell me Glocks gay. Until then, get a clue. :fawk:

20. Platinum_Thunder

does the USP ring a bell?

21. kellyclan

i'm glad you realize that the USP can also pass the Glock Test. :p

Oh, and YOU have personally done all that to a USP? Didn't think so. :slap:

22. Platinum_Thunder

have you done all that to a glock :fawk:

23. kellyclan

Why, yes, actually, i have.

Next question!

24. Platinum_Thunder

you've run it over with a tank? :confused: :confused: :fawk:

25. kellyclan

Well, actually an armored personnel carrier. :o

Cadillac Gage V150 :cool: