A&P Ok finnaly set on lenses and stuff, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dnepr, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Canon EOS 20D body
    canon 24-70L f2.8 USM lens
    canon 70-200 f4L lens
    Decent tripod, decent 512mb CF card ( will go to north tampa photo for this)

Ill have to postpone on buying fixed length fisheye's because im already stretching my budget :hs:

:x: This should all be in my dirty little hands by end of september. :x:

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Whats another $125-150 for a Zenitar fisheye (all manual)

3. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Actually, you're right. I've been looking over BHphotovideo, ritz, etc.

And i think 24-70l is a little overshot for my needs, I found great review on Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 which give it nearly the same image quality for 1/4 the price.

Ritz doesnt carry them so it'll be either NTP if they carry them or BHphotovideo. This will lift the price limit and allow me to get the fisheye.

:bowdown:

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I think your choice's are good. However I wouldn't buy a fisheye lens. I would spend the money on a longer telephoto, say around 400mm or so. The fisheye look gets old after a few shots and is really more of a novelty lens. The long telephoto will come in handy in a lot of situations.

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Don't skimp. Get the Canon 24-70L. I own one and it's a great lens.

6. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Thats not enough CF.
    Go look in Hot Deals and buy those 2 from kdfm. Then buy 1 high speed card.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

512 is plenty to start with if he isn't doing pro photo shoots. That card should be able to hold roughly 200 JPG images. That's equivalent to 8 rolls of 24 exposure film or 5.5 36's. Most starting photographers will NEVER shoot that much in one or two days. Plus with digital you have the option of deleting really bad shots and reshooting.

512 is fine. Spend your money on glass.

8. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Why buy a $1000 camera and shoot in jpg. Shoot raw and get the full benefit of the camera.
    I have 2-512mg,3-256mb,1-128mb cards and have on MANY occasions just taking the kids to the park for a few hours almost filled them all.

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between RAW and JPG. He's buying a 20D which will mean that he can't shoot as many RAW images into the buffer as JPG's anyway. He probably isn't a pro if he's asking lens advice from Off Topic so I'd still advise him to shoot in JPG and be able to shoot more for less money spent on storage.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

get a portable hard drive. you can get 20 gigs for like 199 or less. just get a 512 and a 256, while you're downloading one you have another to use.

11. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Reason im asking about lense is because i've never owned a canon camera and have no idea about their lenses.

I own a really old soviet film SLR along with set of m42 pentax mount lesnes ( old really old).

:hsd: