SRS Ok, does this sound OK, or am I kidding myself

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by trancezj, Nov 17, 2004.

1. trancezj

trancezj New Member

first, :wavey: to Nuke, I made him mad, now he won't talk to me. Sorry dude.

Anyway, when I was in my very early 20's I drank way too much. It's gotten much better. The last couple of years I've dieted enough that I'd practically quit drinking for months at a time. I had to diet to do it though. This year has been a different story. I don't drink untile I'm drunk, 8 beers seems to be the average. It's not a problem with my relationship, or work or anything. I don't drink and drive. But, the frequency seems to be much higher than it's been. I decided this weekend that if I couldn't control it, and drink moderatly only one day a week, I am going to check out AA. I realized there was problem when I caught myself thinking, "there's one of my favorite shows on tonight, I wanna have some beer to watch it", then,........ I caught myself on another night saying to myself "There's nothing on TV, might as well drink some beers".. So Basically if I can't control it, I'm going to have to quit.

Am I kidding myself? I don't drink a rediculous amount, or even everyday.

2. trancezj

trancezj New Member

sooo no replies.. Thanks guys.

3. UncleJohn

UncleJohn "That guy"

I think your kidding yourself, i have too quit for a while... but i always fall back in that same hole.... i've been to rehab, been to aa, if you don't want to do it for yourself, your going to fall right back into that hole.....

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

"Those who live the program of Narcotics Anonymous do not relapse."
    -NA Basic Text
    This holds true for Alcoholics Anonymous as well, if you understand the program, work your steps, get a sponsor, attend regular meetings on a regular basis and work with other alcoholics, you will not slip/relapse. These are the things alcoholics/addicts must do to live a life that is free of the obsession to use/drink. Having a God of your own understanding helps things along the way as well.

If you've been to AA, and you've been to rehab, it doesn't mean you are going to stay sober/clean. You must continue attending meetings and actually work the program to reap the benefits.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Hey trance - :wavey: i'm not mad, though i think i remember that i should be over something. One of the few benefits about having done a lot of drugs is that you can't remember stupid shit like that.

Anyways - don't trip on it.

It sounds like you have some desire to quit - and you are doing nearly exactly what the AA text recommends...

something like "if you are unsure if you are alcoholic, do a little experiment: go to a barroom and try some controlled drinking. if you are honest, you should know immediately if you try to stop at 1 and can't"

basically - its not necessarily the frequency (days/week) that you drink... its the inability to control or moderate your usage (more specifically - stopping at just 1. why have 8?)

anyways trying to moderate the frequency with which you drink will probably be difficult as well if you're truly alcoholic. If the only reason you are considering quitting is because you just don't like the idea that you're a practicing alcoholic - i suggest you take a deeper look at whats going on. You can't really get much benefit from a support group (like eligh was saying) unless you really truly want to be there and truly feel like you're incapable of quitting on your own.

These are desperate points for many of us to conceed to...

You may want to consider your other uses of substances besides alcohol? Just a thought. Eligh also makes some good points.

6. trancezj

trancezj New Member

I really haven't used any other substances. Very very very rarely. I quite bouncing, remember. I dunno, I can control my drinking. Just the other night I went to a party with some old friends, but I had to drive. So I drank 3 beers. It kinda sucked to not be able to drink more, but I had no problem with it.

7. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I don't know if AA is right for you or not. If you can control your drinking without a problem, then you're not really an alcoholic...

AA is designed for alcoholics, not people who want to learn how to moderate