OK Computer's big thread of random Mac questions hes built up over the first 6 months

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ok_computer, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Alright, I'm sure these are all findable online, but I trust OT Mac croo just as much as some random-ass website, and it's also easier, and potentially more entertaining to see some arguments :bowdown:

1. Since my MBP only has an 80GB HDD, there is no way I can keep all of my music on here, so every month or so, after I've gathered up some more music, I transfer everything new to a 500GB external that I have. Then, when I connect my 160GB iPod to my laptop, it won't sync because the library is not the one it's used to, because all of the songs will be different. Is there a way around this? The long and stupid way would be to transfer everything BACK on to my laptop when I want to sync some new stuff to it, but that's way inefficient and not worth my time.

2. Is there a DVD ripper that rips straight to MPEG4? I know Mac the Ripper is a popular one, but I got it and form what I can find, it just just rip the DVD to your hard drive, didn't see anything about file conversion. I'm not gonna watch the movies on my laptop, but I want to be able to put them on my iPod.

3. How do I get hotkeys to work in Photoshop? I'd like to attach some of my actions that I use every day to something like "shift+apple+F9" or something, but even if I set that button combo to trigger it, when I press the F9 it will perform the action that the Mac came with, to adjust brightness, or expose, or whatever. I don't use the F1-F12 keys on any kind of regular basis, and they'd be much more useful to be used in Photoshop.

4. What the fuck is up with the battery on this thing? I've only owned it since September, and CoconutBattery rated the battery at 82% yesterday :ugh: That can't be normal, was there a recall or anything?

I'm sure I have more q's, but that's it for now. I'll check in often,

Thanks dudes :wavey:

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

answer to #2

Try Handbrake. I believe it'll rip directly to an iPod friendly format.

3. Fedge

Fedge New Member

#1 - you have to point your itunes library to your external HDD. This is how I do it as well. Just make sure iTunes knows where the music is. You'll also want to uncheck "Copy Songs to iTunes Folder" so that it doesn't duplicate everything you add from your external HDD.

4. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

1. A solution I've used for this is to store all my music on an external source. I keep everything on a home server and sync my iPod with my MBP. iTunes plays and recognizes all the files just fine. Also, If i want to listen to music on my laptop while away from my house, I just bring the iPod and connect it to my laptop and play it in iTunes.

2. Check out handbrake as mentioned above. It's an excellent program. Isquint or VisualHub will convert existing videos in avi, mp4, or even Video_TS files as well, but it's not a DVD ripper.

3. Check to make sure you are pressing the Fn key as well. If that's annoying to you, you can change the keyboard to only use the system shortcuts by checking the option for F keys.
    [​IMG]

4. My battery is reported as crappy in Coconut battery too, but the runtime seems ok :dunno: I don't really use my computer away from a plug though :o

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

4. Try Recalibrating your battery a couple times using the way apple suggests in the help menu

6. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

About the battery:

I just recently had my battery replaced actually. Even though it was just over a year old, my battery got so bad that it couldn't last more than about 10 minutes if it wasn't plugged in. I took it to the genius bar, and they just replaced mine. I didn't even buy extended apple care! Also, the guy that helped me out said that they had a few different MBP owners come in with that problem, so you should probably just take it in if it does get that bad.