Ok computer GURUs, help fix the elusive problem.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kirlain, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Kirlain

Kirlain First world problems

So, heres my setup for starters:

AMD 2600+ @ 2.06, 1GB Geil DDR400, Shuttle AN35 Ultra(Nforce2 chipset), 350W PS, 1 HD/Floppy/CD-DVD, one intake and one exhaust fan. FX5900 128MB, Chaintech AV-710(Audigy 2 comparable). Windows XP Pro, SP2 of course.

Basically, whenever I play World of Warcraft, or Frozen Throne, or almost any of massive 3d intensive game(hasent done it to Leisure Suit Larry yet...) after a while, the sound hangs and the system freezes, forcing reboot.

I used to get a blue screen sometimes, pointing to Nvidia drivers, so after playing with TONS of drivers, OG mobo drivers, Nvidia rollbacks, whatever, I've got rid of the blue screen shit...

But still have this hanging sound/freezing system shit. It's driving me fucking mad. Sometimes I can play for 2-3 hours and nothing. Sometimes an hour, or 20 minutes. Its totally fucking random.

I'm running massive burn-in tests as we speak, but I know its not memory or processor related. I've got the FSB freq. set at 166, and the memory freq. on SPD(which results in a 400 mhz memory frequency, enabling DDR).

I'm fucking stumped, and I'm hoping OT can help before I start formatting and/or upgrading parts. :wtc:

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I've had the same issue with TFT since either their last battle.net update (1.7?) or SP2 -- they both happened at the same time. I try not to blame SP2 cuz everything else seems to work fine. I was getting lockups maybe once every few hours with WC3, I read on blizzard's website and they mentioned defragging -- I gave that a shot and it seemed to help. When defragging I saw that it was moving one of the WC3 data files, your computer may be the same way.

On top of the defrag try playing around with video/sound settings. Sound settings can really screw a computer up during a game more than most expect.

It's a lot of trial an error and I don't think anyone can give you a straight fix.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

check that you've properly applied the heatsink and compound. To eliminate it as a possibility, just remove it all and re-do it. Use high-quality compound... not too much, not too little.

4. Kirlain

Its not the heatsink and compound. :o

5. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

your computer might be overheating when the gaming gets intense; put a fan next to it to get the air moving quicker

you might also want to update the driver to the video card or go to an earlier one

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Sounds like a sound issue -- I bought a nice logitech USB headset at Best Buy for $50, you should get something similiar and run the sound through the headset for a week and see how things go.

A "normal" headset won't work, it needs to be USB.

7. Kirlain

Are you nuts? Your saying that the method of how you LISTEN to the sound coming out of the card matters? It DOESN'T.

As for others talking about drivers, I've played with them. READ please. :o

As for overheating, its not. I've monitored ALL system temps, nothing is getting hot. I'm back to getting some blue-screens relating to nv4_disp.dll, but it sure isnt drivers.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try a new video card then, i guess.

9. Kirlain

You suck at life, get the fuck out. :squint:

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Before you get all pissy think about it. I said USB, a USB headset is going to have its own 'processor' for sound. As in, if your sound card is the problem then using a USB headset probably will NOT have the same problem.

USB sound doesn't run off your internal soundcard.

You're snapping at everyone in the thread trying to help you -- well, solve your own fucking problem.

:ugh:

11. Kirlain

It's not an internal sound card. But you didn't read that. It's a PCI card. So far the only thing people have said to do is play with drivers, or(jesus here comes the worst shit) replace my video card.

It says "GURU's" in the title.

As for a USB set having its own processor, you need to understand if a SOUND conflict(fine, an ONBOARD conflict) was causing FREEZING, plugging in a USB headset wouldn't do jack shit. It would still freeze. It has it's own processor in the same way you convert digital to analog and vice versa. It converts signals, thats all.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are an idiot... unless you've got a shitload of expensive testing equipment then you're not gonna solve it in the manner you want...

a GURU tries the EASY solutions! That involves disabling onboard sound in bios, trying new video cards, etc.

So you're the one that sucks at life :p

13. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Last I knew a PCI card WAS internal, but regardless. So you're trying to convince me that every game is compatible with EVERY sound/video card because they are ALL the same? The fact is that you are having a conflict somewhere in your system which most likely means you have a driver conflict (SP2 could cause this) OR a chance of a hardware conflict.

I have onBoard sound and USB sound, they are both 'seen' as two different sound cards because they are both...different. It is possible for me to have a conflict in a game with my USB sound but not with my onBoard sound (this has happened to me before).

So, lets have at it again.

Step 1) Turn down all your graphics settings, play games for a while and see if it locks up. If not then you were pushing your systme too far, tone it down a bit.

Step 2) IF lockups continue then disable sound (cheaper than buying a new device), try games, observe.

Step 3) (maybe should be step 1) Turn down your overclock, go back to stock settings. Maybe even your RAM is shitting out -- lockups with overclock are common [although your OC is mild].

Step 4) If your computer still locks up with both video and sound turned down then make sure you're not overheating (I doubt you are). I assume you have some type of temperature monitor on that computer, if not, get one.

Goodluck.

Follow the steps above to fix/diagnose and try to understand my point that two devices sound/video differ from one another -- very simple