GUN Ohio state assault weapons ban DEAD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vettefan52, Mar 15, 2007.

1. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

Hidden guns for motorists will be allowed under new Ohio law to start Wednesday
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007

COLUMBUS A revision to Ohio's 3-year-old law allowing people to carry hidden guns takes effect on Wednesday. Here are some questions and answers on the new regulations:

Q: What are the big changes taking effect Wednesday?

A: One change is that motorists with permits to carry concealed guns will be able to do so in their cars and trucks. Previously, the guns had to be either locked up or in plain sight of a law-enforcement officer approaching a car. The other major change is the law wipes out local gun-control ordinances in cities such as Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus, which all had banned possession of assault rifles.

Q: Didn't former Gov. Bob Taft veto the bill that makes the changes?

A: Yes. But the Legislature provided the only override of a Taft veto in his eight years as governor.

Q: Why did the Legislature feel it necessary to allow people to carry hidden guns in their cars and trucks?

A: Lawmakers, prodded by gun-rights advocates, said the law was inconsistent in allowing permit-holders to carry hidden guns on the street but not in their cars.

Q: What do law-enforcement agencies think about guns hidden in cars?

A: Some law-enforcement agencies were opposed to the provision because of concerns about officers' safety or were officially neutral.

Q: Besides the ban on assault weapons, what other local laws will be wiped off the books?

A: Several communities had banned concealed weapons in parks, playgrounds and other areas.

Q: What was the reasoning behind that change?

A: The National Rifle Association and other proponents of getting rid of those community regulations say the state had a patchwork of local gun laws that varied among communities. A person traveling through the state could be obeying the law in one place but breaking it in the next town.

Q: Are the cities and towns going to challenge the law?

A: Several communities, including Cleveland, have said they would, but none has taken action yet.

Q: Will journalists still be able to get lists of permit-holders from the county sheriffs who issue them?

A: No. Under a separate bill, sheriffs will be prohibited from releasing the lists, beginning April 8, but journalists will be allowed to see the names. They won't be allowed to copy them. The lists have never been open to the general public.

Q: Are lawmakers done tinkering with the 2004 law?

A: Not likely. Rep. Jim Aslanides, a Coshocton Republican who sponsored the original law, said it may be tweaked again because sheriffs have questions about whether they can legally show the lists of names of permit-holders to journalists.

On the Net:

Concealed Weapons changes:
  2. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

congrats, this is looking very good. btw, i copied the post from Saiga-12
  3. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Oct 14, 2003

Gimik New Member

Sep 16, 2003
    that's awesome. another victory for the constitution
  5. SnakeEater

SnakeEater Active Member OT Supporter

May 23, 2006
  6. t1h

t1h Guest

7. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    as much shit as the NRA gets, think about how fucked we'd be without them
  8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Man, a few months ago all I was hearing was bad news. I've been hearing a lot of wins for our side lately :h5:
  9. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

they are still working against "assault" weapons owners as far as im concerned. i have some plans as far as that goes, just need to get my land first and the rest will follow.