LGBT Ohh... You're gay... Okay, so you're fired!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Jul 21, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

hmm...

Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation
    Measures are emerging to protect gay and lesbian workers from discrimination in the workplace.

Although women, minorities, people older than 40 and people with disabilities now enjoy an umbrella of state and federal protections from discrimination in the workplace, gays and lesbians have, for the most part, been left out in the rain, at least at the national level. There is no federal law that specifically outlaws workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in the private sector -- although federal government workers are currently protected from such discrimination.

At the state level, however, there is more cause for hope. Thirteen states have laws prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination in both private and public jobs: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia also prohibits sexual orientation discrimination in both the public and private sectors. In addition, eight states have laws prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination in public workplaces only: Colorado, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Washington.

If your state does not have a law that protects you from workplace discrimination, you may still be protected by city and county ordinances. There are at least 124 cities and counties that prohibit discrimination in the workplace on the basis of sexual orientation -- from Albany, New York, to Ypsilanti, Michigan. In addition, some enlightened companies have adopted their own policies prohibiting such discrimination.

To find out exactly what kind of protection your city, county and/or state gives you from sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace, you can visit the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund website at www.lambdalegal.org. Lambda maintains a list of state-by-state anti-discrimination laws -- as well as other laws specifically affecting gays and lesbians. If you need additional information, you can contact the Lambda office in your region. There, an intake volunteer will either answer your question or, if you need still more help, connect you with a volunteer attorney.

If you live in a place that has no specific laws protecting you, there may still be hope. Depending on the exact nature of the discrimination, you may be able to sue your employer -- or your co-workers -- on a number of legal theories that apply to everyone, including gay men and lesbians:

*~*intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress

*~*harassment

*~*assault

*~*battery

*~*invasion of privacy

*~*defamation

*~*interference with an employment contract, and

*~*wrongful termination.

You can obtain more information about gay and lesbian workplace rights from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force at www.ngltf.org.

2. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Utah has at least some love for us. :wiggle:

3. CoCo

...lucky bastard. Oops, in Maryland, the discrimination is identified, and accepted as what it is, buuuut if it happens--and it shouldn't--there is no standard for penalty...so pay a small fee, and go on to discriminate another day.

4. CoCo

...luckily, my place of business is cool. Right now, I'm sitting at my desk, while my secretary is sitting on the couch in my office. We are watching the season two DVD's of Queer as Folk. Haha, I wish I had a digital camera here, because on the corner of my desk are two issues of Advocate, an issue of Genre, and an issue of Details.

5. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

It's ok, because then they can have their own MTV special and whine about it!

6. Killgunner

Killgunner Guest

pics of said secretary... if a woman. :x:

7. CoCo

She's a woman...er, 'gurl'. My full time secretary gets paid vacation for the summer months, and I get a student worker during this period. The 'summer gurl', as I call her, is 16, pretty hot, and the dresses as if she's 21... Total jail bait. I know this for fact, as she flirts with AND has fucked my boss. She likes it here because I gave her a company car... and she get's company dick.... and her immediate boss is queer, so we're like girlfriends. We go out dancing, and shopping. Then come to work and watch DVD's all day.

I won’t hire another male worker… I have a history of being bad*. Sooo, I’ll hire female jailbait and even the playing field.

:bigthumb:

*http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=17868489&postcount=19

8. Killgunner

Killgunner Guest

ok... so pics of said secretary?

9. CoCo

10. Killgunner

Killgunner Guest

damn it.

11. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I wanna see pics of the one you were bad with :naughty:

12. CoCo

...you would have never guessed he was a damn minor.

I was OWNED by the HOMO.GEN. Milk this generation gets...

13. Nails3Jesus0

Nails3Jesus0 Guest

I dont think any of those laws work at all.
    I have seen them fail. All your employer has to do is find some stupid reason to fire you, you only win if you can PROVE that they fired you because you are gay or a woman or whatever you are. no one is perfect,and an employer can fire you for almost any reason besides your skin color, age or gender. so it is irrelevant in the sceme of everything.

the laws for gays should be in place just to be fair.

but dont expect much.