GUN Oh, the things one sees at the rifle range...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Today there was some kid and his dad shooting their new AR. Only problem is they had no idea how to work it, and they didn't have a rear sight. Yep, just a FSB and nothing on the A3 receiver. I had to show them how to use the bolt release to get a round to chamber because they kept riding the charging handle forward and the thing wouldn't go into battery. Once they got the whole "loading the weapon" thing squared away they had a hell of a time aiming. They were shooting at 50 yards, and the dad put a round into the dirt about 20 rounds in front of the target. I looked to see their hits when I went to take my target down when I was done, and of about 30 rounds they got exactly TWO hits on the paper. The targets are 21x24 inches.

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

A for effort, D for implementation

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Should've told them not to waste the ammo.

4. I guess they were just excited to shoot the thing. After the ~30 rounds the fired they decided it was a waste of ammo to keep firing.

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

gotta start somewhere i guess but they could have probably saved some $ and started with a cheaper gun lol

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

At our range we would have asked them to leave, due to "unsighted" fire. Or if I had my AR there, I would have offered them the use of my Larue BUIS for the session.

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I remember standing in the firing line with a buddy of mine a few months back and watching this guy have some issues with his revolver. we walked over and asked him how it was going and he said that he must have a problem with his revolver. He had obviously undercharged the load and I wanted to help him with clearing it if I could. Well it turns out the bullet only came out far enough to get stuck in the forcing cone and locked it up. I told him he should probably pack that one away and get it to a 'smith.

He then pulled out a .38 revolver and started blasting away and his rounds seemed HOT. I asked him what he had loaded and said that he ran out of small pistol primers so he substituted small magnum rifle primers. My buddy and I looked at each other and walked away. I bet he blew a gun up sometime soon after that.

9. I was surprised the rangemaster didn't kick them out. They're usually real strict, but he must have been in a good mood today.

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

when I first built my SBR, I didn't have rear sights on it, but I was shooting in a field. Was funny that no matter how hard I tried to hit the target at only about 75 yards, probably 8/10 would be hitting the dirt at ~30 yards :rofl:

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:hahano:

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

that was actually funny, Ill give you that one. you've just been trying to hard lately and failing. It's ok though, I know you're as slow as I am short

13. :rofl::rofl:

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i'll shoot you both in the ankles

15. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

:rofl: oh snap

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I should just change my name to PermanentProne

17. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

cheer up little guy.

18. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:ioj:

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

epic burn son

oh the burning

20. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I remember the first couple times I held an AR I had no clue what I was doing. I had only fired a 10/22 and AK previous so I wasn't used to the idea of an automatically locking bolt. First time I held it I pulled back the CH and I let go expecting it to ride home but it just sat there and I had to push it back in. I thought you closed the bolt by hitting the forward assist so I hit the FA button and nothing. The guy working the counter saw I was obviously confused and told me to hit the bolt release. I just kind of looked at it blankly and handed it back to him :rofl: I still didn't fully understand it until I got my own AR, I guess I'm retarded like that.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Generally it is OK to use magnum primers or small rifle primers for pistol (never heard of small magnum rifle primers though there is large rifle magnum). They burn hotter of course and are a harder primer cup. They are actually can be very good for compressed powder loads such a 9 major because they burn more powder before the bullet leaves the case (less unburnt powder).

You cannot though use pistol magnum primers or regular pistol primers for rifle. The burning powder would be too hot and melt the primer, your gun would go up in a big fire ball, and you would die a slow firery death as your other ammo detonated for effect. Well that last point is an exageration but it would be bad.

While these are general rules you have to know the powder, pressure, and burn rates of your ammo. I'm sure you could use some combination of powder, primer, and seating depth to make something unsafe (goes without saying)

22. They exist. I have a bunch of them. I bought them for the Grendel, but lots of people use them in place of small rifle primers for various reasons.

23. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I figured out all that stuff from the comfort of my own home before I took my AR to the range. Building it from scratch probably helped some too.

24. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I thought that some companies label small rifle magnum as 5.56/223 primers?

I have a sleeve of 5000 small rifle magnum primers that I was going to use for my AR someday.