OH SNAP! Tiger Direct suing Apple over Tiger!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by violator, Apr 29, 2005.

1. violator

violator New Member

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1039

Apple Computer has been slapped with a lawsuit by Tiger Direct Inc. for allegedly infringing its trademark with the new Mac OS X "Tiger'' operating system scheduled for release on Friday.

Tiger Direct, which sells computers and related products on the Internet, said Appke's Tiger OS threatens to dilute its trademarked name, according to Bloomberg, which has obtained a copy of the lawsuit.

The online retailer also accused Apple of deceptive and unfair trade practices in the lawsuit, filed today in federal court in Miami, Florida, Bloomberg said.

"Apple Computer has created and launched a nationwide media blitz led by Steven Jobs, overwhelming the computer world with a sea of Tiger references," Tiger Direct's attorneys wrote in the lawsuit.

If the court grants Tiger Direct's request for an injunction, Apple's rollout of Tiger could be stopped.

Tiger Direct, which is based in Miami, Florida, has used its family of Tiger trademarks to sell computers and computer related products since 1987, the lawsuit said. The company owns trademarks on the names Tiger, TigerDirect and TigerSoftware.

The retailer said Apple's use of the name "is causing confusion, mistake and deception among the general purchasing public."

At the root of the issue appears to internet search results. Tiger Direct contends that Apple's use of the name has adversely affected its ranking amongst the Internet's largest search engines, Google and Yahoo, bumping the company from its usual spot in the first three results.

Tiger Direct has asked the federal court to block Apple from using the name, according to Bloomberg.

The online retailer is also seeking damages and legal fees.

Update: Tiger Direct claims a preliminary injunction hearing is slated for Tuesday, May 3, several days after Tiger is scheduled to go onsale.

2. MBC

MBC Guest

look like someone want a piece of the cake...

3. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

:dunno: i can see why they would be mad with the search results thing, but that would be really stupid if they stopped shipping tiger, which is highly unlikely.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

"Internet, said Appke's Tiger OS"

hope thats not a legit article b/c they need better spell check

5. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

fuck em

6. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

7. Kix

Kix Jailbait tested, Milf approved

well, they will never get any of my business, and im sure there are plenty more people who feel the same, newegg> tigerhomsexualdirect

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wtf? If apple opened a computer retailer called "Tiger" then they'd have a legit suite. However, are they gonna sue the discovery channel or a zoo for a tiger???

This is horrible. I want to copyright some random word.. Then you'll all owe me royalties when using it!

9. Kix

they are making money off of a copyrighted word, thats what copyrights are for, so that others cant capitalize off of that word

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hence my intention to copyright a word so popular that I'll be rich in a matter of no time. "the" is prolly already copyrighted, yes?

11. Kix

lol, it doesnt work that way, you are missing the point.

12. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i am going to copywrite "lol". now i can sue EVERYONE who chats on the internet!

13. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

No, I think you are really missing the point. Copyrights and trademarks are not a terrible idea in and of themselves, but they form the basis for some really, and I do mean REALLY stupid shit in their current form. Like this lawsuit... If they just filed it, then most obvious question is why not a long time ago when they were obviously aware that Apple's new operating system was going to be called Tiger?

And they will have to show that people are mistaking Tiger the OS for TigerDirect the company. That is going to be difficult. The Google stuff is tough shit sherlock... that's not going to help them any in court.

14. Kix

no, you could not trademark a word for every day usage. if you trademarked 'The' you could not sue everyon who said 'The' and make them pay royalties, as the previous poster said he would copyright a popular word. That was what i was saying.

And i think this lawsuit is stupid as well, but what it comes down to is that Tiger is already being used to make money, and they have copyrighted that word, so anyone else who wants to use that word to make money must get their permission. There is a base for the suit, although as i said earlier it it stupid and Tiger Direct will never have me as a customer because of the manner in which they pulled this charade off.

15. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I think they think people will go to tigerdirect.com to order OSX directly & leave when it's not that.

16. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

heh thats still a lot more traffic to their site though

17. Halon X

Halon X New Member

So they should start selling tiger and capitilize off the free advertising.

18. Skoles

Skoles Guest

That wouldn't be fun now would it?

19. hootpie

hootpie New Member