MMA OH SNAP ITS OFFICIAL FEDOR FREE AGENT !!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kuet, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Kuet

Kuet New Member

late night cage crew 1
    daytime cage crew 0

from sherdog :

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=11698

March 7, 2008
    by Josh Gross ([email protected])

Confirmation Thursday of a rumor that circulated for weeks has made Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) the most sought-after free agent in mixed martial arts … again.

The move by Emelianenko, first reported by ESPN, immediately rekindled talk of the Russian heavyweight fighting in the UFC, perhaps even against Randy Couture (Pictures).

Apy Echteld, who was hired as part of the European branch of M-1 Global and is a longtime manager of the 31-year-old Russian, told ESPN's Ryan Hockensmith that Emelianenko would be willing to restart contract negotiations with the UFC once the "divorce" is finalized.

M-1 CEO Monte Cox declined to comment on Thursday's news report, however he told Sherdog.com that M-1 and Emelianenko continue to share a "working relationship."

The question, then, is for how long?

According to one source that asked not to be identified, M-1 will likely expect Emelianenko to return a $1.5 million signing bonus he was paid last September. Negotiations should be finalized by Tuesday of next week, the same source said.

A free-agent Emelianenko could benefit from a deeper, more competitive bidding pool.

Newly minted with a historic TV deal from CBS, EliteXC would be "absolutely interested in Fedor if he was a free agent," Jeremy Lappen, the company's head of fighter operations, told Sherdog.com. "Of course, we're very friendly with Monte and have a close relationship with M-1 and would never step on their toes."

Mark Cuban, who has quickly turned HDNet into a desired premium-television destination for MMA fans, tempered expectations, telling Sherdog.com he doesn't plan on simply outspending competitors in an effort to sign the heavyweight.

"We always want to work with the best in the world," Cuban responded via e-mail. "That said, we aren't in the business of bidding wars. We are in the business of developing, promoting and supporting fighters and their careers and partnering with any and all who can help us accomplish that."

World Victory Road and Dream -- Japanese promoters attempting to establish themselves in Pride's wake -- could be Emelianenko suitors, though the MMA industry in that part of the world is not as strong as it was during the Russian's heyday.

Wildcard groups, such as the one apparently comprised of Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and clothing apparel company Affliction, which sponsors Emelianenko and Couture, could enter the fray. An Affliction photo shoot featuring the heavyweight pair created quite a stir when shots and video of the fighters standing nose to nose hit the Internet.

Last October the newly formed M-1 Global, led by investor Mitchell Maxwell and Cox, announced at a New York news conference that they had won the war for the wandering Pride heavyweight king.

Emelianenko was expected to fight six times for $12 million over a two-year period for M-1. He fought just once since October, a co-promoted bout on New Year's Eve in Japan against an unranked opponent. Meanwhile M-1 has yet to produce its first event.

The Russian explained the decision against signing with the UFC came down largely to his opinion of the company's president.

"You cannot start a relationship with someone using those phrases," he said in New York, alluding to White's repeated description of Emelianenko's management as "crazy Russians."

Asked if he remained interested in signing Emelianenko (27-1-0, 1 NC) following a year of failed negotiations and a war of words that resulted in the promoter calling the No. 1-ranked heavyweight a "farce," White told ESPN: "Absolutely, 100 percent, in a heartbeat. People think he's the best -- I don't, not even close. But if it's somehow possible, I would make it happen."

"We're open to a discussion," Echteld responded to ESPN after learning of the UFC's potentially malleable position. "If everybody is willing to put a little wine in the water, then we have something to work with. There is space for this to happen."

Though Emelianenko's management, led by Vadim Finkelchtein and Echteld, expressed in late July that the UFC offer was extremely lucrative, it was also the most restrictive in terms of likeness rights, exclusivity and other points they did not want their fighter to concede.

The UFC chose not to budge either, leading to the creation of M-1 Global and what was thought to be the new home for Emelianenko.

A renegotiation for White would focus on getting Emelianenko in the Octagon across from Couture. While the UFC boss heavily favors "The Natural" in that matchup, the possibility of it taking place -- in the UFC or anywhere else -- is unknown while both sides battle in court over the status of Couture's contract.

After announcing his ill-fated deal with M-1 last fall, Emelianenko called Couture's challenge of the UFC "positive" and said he was "very proud that Couture made such a great decision."

It would be ironic if in the end the Russian signed with the UFC as a courtroom-tested Couture somehow freed himself from the most successful organization in MMA.

Wherever Fedor settles, fans will demand he fights the best challengers, starting with the 44-year-old former UFC champ.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

RANDY !!!! WOOOOOOOOP WOOOOOOP WOOOOOP WOOOOPPP WOOOPPPP !!!
    This has to happen :x:

3. Kuet

Kuet New Member

wow he was supposed to get 12 million over two years and six fights with M-1 (plus 1.5 million signing bonus )
    and they said the ufc offer was even more lucrative.

Thats what randy was talking about, thats why he was mad.
    Upon reading it again, i highly doubt if fedor is going to sign with the ufc i dont think he likes dana AT ALL.

4. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i think dana better watch it. Yes he is very smart when he is level headed, yes he has done GREAT things for mma. I cannot take that away from him, and give him credit where it is due.

However, to have fedor, randy and tito all absolutely sure of his merrit ( not good )
    and alot more whispers from other fighters , dana is soon to get a bad reputation if he keeps this up.
    He talks so much shit outta his ass.

5. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

w.o.w

6. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

wow. Good thing I checked here, I never read the cage when I wake up!

7. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I really think he is going to go to the UFC now. I think that the M1 thing was more posturing than anything else.

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

But what's the latest with randy??? Is he officially out of the ufc? I hope this bacfires on him and fedor does comes over to ufc. :rofl:

9. Exiled

Exiled New Member

No shit

if Fedor comes to the ufc and dana says fuckoff to randy I will from then on consider Dana to be the devil.

10. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Fuck that, if Fedor comes to the UFC and Dana goes "Ok, you are now released from your contract" I will be a Dana fan for life. That would just be pure fuckign awesome and evil

11. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Man dana will do that I bet.. lol.. or atleast know he could and giggle about it.. man I would be drunk with power if I was him.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

:ugh:

randy started this shitstorm. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the fight and I don't think dana/ufc has handled this matter very well either but randy is no angel.

13. negative zero

negative zero New Member

agreed. :bowdown:

14. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Seriously though, now Dana is in the position where he is going to have to have Randy fight Nog before he can fight Fedor

15. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

BONG!!ur on top of it!

16. Exiled

Exiled New Member

yeah but ya know.. he lft to fight the guy in all honesty.. he is an old timer and just wants to prove himself against the best and the contract was the only thing stopping him.. now it could be the only thing saving his dream of fighting fedor

oh man this is intense right here

i cant wait for the details

17. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

sign with dream

18. bennyandthejet

bennyandthejet nom nom nom

I think Fedor will sign with the UFC eventually, he understands now after signing with M-1 that even if he doesn't like Dana or some stipulations in his contract, if he wants to fight top level guys on a regular basis, the UFC is the only option at this point.

19. Exiled

Exiled New Member

That holds water to me (I have never used that before).

He competes in Sambo all the time, he likes to compete against the best.. I think he'll deal with the bullshit and go to the UFC and throw it on the table.

In for EPIC Nog vs Fedor fight

Those fights are always legendary

20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Nog won't have ropes to hide under. He'll die.

21. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Honestly, the best move by the UFC would be to sign Fedor, and then offer Randy a release from his contract if he will do 1 last fight in the Octagon against Fedor. After Fedor mauls Randy, Randy will go out of the UFC on a loss, and US fans will be exposed to the greatest MMA fighter in the world who will not be put over big time after such a big win.

22. bennyandthejet

bennyandthejet nom nom nom

This is true. Feder would completely rape Randy.

23. CallSecurityNow

CallSecurityNow OT Supporter

I don't think Dana can pass up the chance to fuck Cuban

24. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Maybe now the UFC has more motivation to sign Fedor. 1 being so the dont look like huge fuck ups AGAIN. And the 2nd becuase they can kill two birds with one stone here. Sign Fedor and offer the fight to Randy. I dont care to see Nog and Randy, at least not before Nog and Fedor. Becuase if Nog wins we get Fedor/Nog 4? While it would be an enjoyable fight, I'd rather see it with the hyped to hell Randy instead.

25. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Dana isnt retarded, if he can get Fedor hes gonna offer the fight to Randy. If he were to release randy after getting fedor, the MMA community would REALLY hate him and hed lose a TON of money he could potentially make from the Randy Vs. Fedor PPV.