SRS Oh snap. How do I make new friends?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Repus, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Repus

Repus New Member

Yes I know there is a "make friends at the asylum" sticky at the top of this page, but I'm talking about friends in person, not online :)

Alright I've usually had a lot of friends.

Now I'm in my mid 20s. Lost touch with a lot of people. Havent been working recently. Finished school. A lot of my old friends have kids already, or theyre busy working full time and I only see them once in a blue moon.

How do I go about making new friends? I'll be honest, I'm not very good at it. Usually people want to be my friend more than I want to be there friend. But now I'm in a boring situation where I'm sitting at home all day.

Any suggestions?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

3. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Cool website to check out! you'll love it. Its:

http://www.meetup.com

Put your zip code so you can find the different kind of groups that cater to what you're looking for in making new friends, etc.

You can thank me later. :)

4. hypotenuse

hypotenuse New Member

Idk, how ever people meet people

5. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

she yousta be an actress

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If you don't want to be lonely you have to step towards the people, as you grow older people all go their own way in life, get married gets kids + get out of touch as a result of that. You'll see that the type of friendship becomes different. Since everyone has a busy schedule, its best to 'invite' friends rather then forcing them into your life. Just call or mail someone and set a time to goto a 'golf club,restaurant,beach' you name it, and if the people can put that into their schedule, you'll find that they usually are more willing to come, because they can have more time to fit things into their schedule.

As you grow older, friendships aren't 'permanent' friendships like you are used to like 'going to the bar everyday' , towards 'just seeing eachother at some moments'. This is the difficult thing to adjust to ,but it can be done. Keep inviting people. And keep it within range(amount of people that you invite) + within budgetary costs.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Someone told me recently, "hang out in bookstores and go to meetups."

8. Grok1122

Grok1122 New Member

Frequent your local coffee shop/diner/bookstore, become a regular and strike up conversations with other regulars and/or staff.

9. dancks

dancks New Member

what happened to bars being the community hang out? Is that not cool anymore or was is that just on TV? I dunno not old enough to go in one

10. Dnias

Dnias New Member

Well first step is to get over your self. Just from the statement you made seems like you never really had friends and want to know hwo to make them but wanted to give us the impression that you weren't the loser you think you are. If ppl seem to "wanna be your friend" more then u wanna be there friend, well u have no issue with meeting ppl. ppl dont wanna be friends with someone for no reason.

11. PureEnergy

PureEnergy New Member

I actually tried meetup.com, when I met up with some of the people there everyone had their own crew. It felt awkward introducing myself in there.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Of course everyone there had their own crew! They already know each other! But the reason they're bothering to go to a meetup is to meet people they DON'T know. Such as you. Walk up, smile, introduce yourself, and talk about what they're doing.

It kinda sounds like you doubt whether you have anything of value to contribute to a group. Is that at all accurate?