oh noes! swirlmarks galore!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bunmango, Feb 6, 2004.

1. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

[​IMG]

actually, it wasn't too bad... just needed DACPx2 and #9x1 to get rid of the majority of them...

I continued on with Poorboy's Polish w/ Carnuba and topped w/ EX Sealant. On the EX bottle, it recommends using their Professional Polish instead of their Polish w/ Carnuba- how much of a difference would this have made? I remember ScottWax saying that he used PwC and topped it with their EX sealant (along w/ their Natty wax) and that the results were :yum:

Anyhow it got too dark by the time I finished, so "after" pictures will come tomorrow :)

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Either PwC or PP are fine under EX Sealant. My understanding from other Poorboys users is that both products enhance the durability of EX.

How did you like the Poorboy products?

3. Scottwax

BTW, check out these buffer swirls in a brand new BMW 545, courtesy of Moritz BMW in Arlington. Whole fucking car was like this. :mad:

[​IMG]

After DACP, SFP, American Shine's California Clear Coat Glaze and Meguiars NXT Tech Wax:

[​IMG]

Whole car shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

I like the way that EX smells :yum: much better than the new CK products (I wish I could've gotten some VM when it actually smelled like vanilla) PP was really easy to apply and remove, as was the EX. How's the durability of EX? This car sits outdoors all day, and hardly gets a good waxing... I don't think I'd want a carnuba topper, do I?

Anyhow... did the guys over at Moritz enjoy their gift basket? ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  5. Growling_Lion

Growling_Lion New Member

wow thats a big difference could you list the full names of the products you used and could you tell me where i could purchase them?

6. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

:ugh: Look between the first and second pictures :)

7. Growling_Lion

Growling_Lion New Member

what is DACP, and SFP? Where can I get these things?

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

9. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Bunmango:

My gf's Pathfinder looked THAT bad too. I got all the Swirls out with 2 passes of SFP on a Rotary. The paint was pretty soft, but let me tell you. The car looked like it was repainted when done.

I bet...if you looked at the car you did in the shade from b4 and after...it went from dull to ALIVE!

Again...can't wait for pics tomorrow.

10. Scottwax

Yeah, I like the way EX smells too. It is pretty durable. I've had it since mid October (I think) and on the cars I used it on when I first got it, all are still beading, including on a black Tundra whose owner has an 80 mile daily commute and a black Marauder that has been to Jackson, MI several times since I applied EX to it. A few people on Autopia have reported excellent results topping EX with either PB's Natty Paste Wax (including me), Carnauba Moose or S100 (haven't tried either yet).

After the problems with the vanilla oil warping the bottles of Vanilla Moose, I highly doubt Clearkote will be adding any scents to their products any time soon. Really doesn't matter to me because neither VM or CMW have a strong odor anyway.

:uh: I need to do that!

11. Renegade

Renegade New Member

I just got a scratched buffed out by the dealer, and scott it looked exactly liked that beamer picture, the swirls are magnified and terrible. It looks liek crap. Did you do DACP and SFP by hand, I got both products. I also have 3m swirl remover, what should I use? Im gonna use a terry towel applicator pad and put some good pressure on it. After using these swirl removers, can I use the s100 pre cleanser and then just put on s100 wax?

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You have all the steps right, but why waste your time? Take it back to where you got it done and tell them they never finished the job. Leaving your car swirled like that is unacceptable.

13. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

one more "before" picture of the trunk from yesterday:

[​IMG]
    (in case you're wondering, someone wrote "smoke weed" in the morning dew on the rear windshield... probably one of my friend's neighbors)

"after" pics from earlier today. Sorry, no pictures of the entire car, but as GSRstilez, it was a drastic change from before. You could actually see that there is some metallic in the paint, and the color (Honda Eucalyptus Green) even has a hint of purple that I've never noticed before!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yea... I forgot to mention... I used a PC w/ yellow pads for the DACP and #9...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  14. Scottwax

bunmango-Nice job on those spider swirls! I guess you noticed how removing them clarifies the color of the paint and gives it a much deeper look. How much time did you put into it?

renegade-I did everything by hand on the 545. I agree with EMT though, you should demand the dealer either remove the swirls or pay another shop to do the job....or get estimates from other shops, have the dealer pay you and do the work yourself.

15. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

Thanks! The entire car took me about 4 hours since I didn't have to clay too much (only the horizontal surfaces) DACPx2 took me the longest... the PwC and EX took next to nothing (with the exception of waiting 30 min for the EX to cure :p) the PwC was very easy to work into the paint.

16. Scottwax

You don't have to wait 30 minutes for EX to cure. According to Steve at Poorboys, 5-10 minutes is enough....by the time you've applied it to the whole car, you can go back around and wipe it off.

Pretty decent durability too. I used it on a white Tahoe that sits outside 24/7 in early November and when I washed it today (I usually wash their S420 or Chevy 2500HD and the Tahoe goes through the wash at the gas station), it was still beading like mad and had pretty good slickness.

17. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

:doh: I guess that's what I get for RTFM'ing (or RingTFM?) ;) Oh well.. that 30 minutes gave me time to dress the fenderwells/tires and do some other stuff :)