Oh no, my mother broke her computer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex, Jan 5, 2006.

1. alex

alex My neighbor got the gas chamber awhile back for do Moderator

Well, the power went out in my mother's house while my sister was on the computer. So, my mother goes and flips the circuit breaker, and my sister goes back on. Then, my mother flips the circuit breaker again. :ugh:

Instead of saying anything, my sister flips the computer back on and my mother hits the circuit breaker again. :squint:

So, now, here's the error she says she gets...

You turn on the power and there's a black screen saying "Time and Date Invalid" Blah, blah, blah. Press F1 to boot.

It gets to the Windows XP screen where the little bar is loading, and hangs. The bar still fills up, but it just keeps filling up forever.

I tried starting with last known good configuration... nothing.

I tried starting in safe mode, it gets past the loading screen and then turns black with the "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP SAFE MODE" written on top in white. Mouse responds, but it hangs there.

Is something cooked inside? could it be the tiny lithium battery which keeps the clock running?

2. coma

coma New Member

those batteries have a projected life span of 7 years, for what it's worth...

3. alex

Hmmm... that computer can't be more than 7 years old. I picked it out myself for her.

Uhhhh... any other ideas? Guys?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

A dead or even missing CMOS battery won't keep a machine fromt booting. It sounds like Windows is fucked. Best bet is to boot off the CD and choose repair the second time setup gives you a repair option. Its the one after it detects existing XP installations.

5. alex

Quick question: I found an extra WIndows XP CD, but I can't get it to boot from it.

I tried pressing F10, and according to Compaq that's how to access the BIOS. But when I press F10, I get the Windows screen saying Start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc.