Oh God, it's another pipe dream...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Feb 28, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I had THE coolest idea a while ago.

Why don't I take my old 300MHz laptop and jigger it up so the IR transmitter on it can communicate with all my A/V equipment? All I'd have to do is read the digital codes from each button of each remote, and then program the computer to broadcast those same codes! Brilliant!

...how do I interface with a Fast Infrared port? Specifically, how do I get it to display all the data it collects, regardless of whether "proper" communication protocols are being followed?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ehhh i had SW for this with my PDA. it was great, but the distance sucked, and in the end, my $150 remote that was programable by computer kicked ass. Can't turn the TV on, press help, it asked "Is the tv on? Yes/No" It would do everything.

I'm sure you can get software that monitors/scans the IR port and see's what frequency was coming in at the time.

3. samm

samm Next in Line

I did this with my old handspring visor at one time. The infrared thing kind of sucked. If I could do it again I'd buy one of those infrared -> RF conversion things so line of sight wouldn't be a problem.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Those things were all run off AA batteries if I remember correctly. There probably wasn't shit for amperage remaining once the screen and the memory were powered. I would think a lappy with a 14V battery would fare somewhat better, but hell, I could be wrong.