Oh geez I feel 16, meeting MY boyfriends parents

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by demosnat, Jul 26, 2008.

1. demosnat

demosnat New Member

We've been dating a year and I haven't met them :noes: i'm going to when I get back to the states, i'm SO nervous. I'm hoping we all go OUT to dinner so there's less pressure, but I'm going to be so lost if its at their home. I've obviously met parents before, and I in the past i've always clicked really well with parents but its been so long i'm nervous. I'm for-serious with this guy, and getting on with his parents is a deal breaker.
    More of a vent I guess, but ladies, have you ever done anything (like in the other thread) to ease into a good relationship with SOs parents?

I'm thinking of asking her to teach me to cook a few things :hs:

2. fray

fray New Member

Aww, how cute! It's been so long for me, I haven't thought about it for a while! With the current, I didn't even have to meet anyone. They all knew me already! (well, 13 year old me, but stilll)

I think if you're just polite and not obnoxious/dressed poorly/etc. you'll come off ok. I always offer to help with cooking or dishes. Certainly if there's something she does that interests you (like cooking) asking her about it would be nice. Usually parents want to like you, so you're fine unless you give them something to dislike.

3. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

Just be yourself, if they can't accept you for you then I'm sorry it just isn't worth it.

4. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

If you DO ask how to cook something, better make in sincere, because I'll bet she'll be able to tell if you are just trying to suck up.

5. mooses

mooses OT Supporter

I'd say just be polite and make sure you are dressed nicely. You don't want to meet the parents for the first time with your boobs hanging out or anything. I'm sure your boyfriend has talked about you plenty of times, they are going to like you because they know how happy you make their son.

6. demosnat

demosnat New Member

:rofl: It would be, I've wanted to learn to make her food forever, bf always brings it over

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

This is a unique situation because he's arab or muslim right? You might want to say that you're just friends :o

8. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Nah they know whats going on

9. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

When I was younger I always really wanted the parents of my bf to love me, and most of them always did....then I met my current bf's parents and I realized it just would probably never happen. We're too different in many many ways and while I know they don't hate me it used to make me sad that they probably didn't gush about me like past mothers have.

Oh well :dunno: Be yourself and just remember it doesn't matter if they love you or not, your SO loves you.

10. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

You've been dating an entire year without meeting the parents? you both live on your own I assume?

11. iwishyouwerebeer

Lucky :squint:

:mamoru:

There were guys I dated for weeks or only a few months that had mothers who were telling them to marry me :mamoru: I'm not really complaining though. I have the most incredible friendship with my mother and that's honestly all I give a shit about.

12. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

if you were Jewish, they'd love you

13. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Wow, that's ummm, let's just say different........

14. iwishyouwerebeer

probably right :mamoru:

15. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Well to me it seems extremely over the top, so it's your first introduction... This by no means should warrant attempts to reach out, get to know, cook and spend time together.... I could understand beginning to do this as time passes by and you build a solid relationship with your lover, perhaps if you know marriage is in the near future...

Only a year after dating though? That's just ridiculous.

16. razi

razi New Member

arab families tend to be close-knit and traditional. all he's telling her is the things they'll want to hear, and see, in the future wife of their son. they have their culture, and if she wants to join the family on good terms, she'll do her best to fit in (within reason). this goes for any family, period.

that said, I'll be meeting the gf's entire extended family this christmas. I'm not particularly worried about it, but still. :noes:

17. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Oh man, good luck :p

18. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

19. JordanClarkson

welcome to adulthood :noes: :noes: :noes:

20. JordanClarkson

The was the case when I was younger. Every parent loved me. But when I got older things changed. I'm not sure why that is...if it's maybe their parents realizing that these relationships were likely to be more serious rather than just a teenage fling, or if it was me who changed :dunno:

21. Sp33dealer

Sp33dealer OT Supporter

It's always scary to deal with your SO's parents, especially if they're Middle Eastern/Muslim. Their religion is very strict and the parents tend to want their son/daughter to be with another individual of the same descent and religion.