Oh BABY, I'm bulking, FINALLY

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by evh, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evh

evh Active Member

I'm FINALLY bulking again. I went on my own version of a keto diet (for spring break cut) for about 2 months, lost a ton of fat and wound up looking like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About 2 days after those ^ pictures were taken, I went to the Bahamas for spring break. Was there for exactly 7 days. I did not work out, drank day and night (lots of liquor, bahama mamas with tons of sugar, yellow birds, pina coladas, rum and cokes, etc), ate like shit, etc. The day I came back, I took new pictures. I wound up looking like this from drinking and eating like shit for a week straight. Keep in mind this is right after coming off a keto diet and prepping myself for extra carb intake one week before spring break:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I'm bulking. The past four days, including today, I have been averaging about:

2300-2400 cals
    40-55g fat
    250-260g carbs
    250-260g protein
    All carbs are either from whole grains (whole wheat bread, whole grain oats), vegetables, MILK, and fruits (I don't have any more fruit after about 3 PM).
    Fat is from all natty peanut butter, raw almonds, the oatmeal, banannas, and a tiny amount from roast beef (I also eat lean ham, turkey, chicken, roast beef, etc.)
    Protein is from lean meats, protein shakes, whole grain protein bread, nuts, peanut butter, banannas, oatmeal, and milk.

Keep in mind I was 143 lbs when I started a few days ago.

Four days later, today, after hitting the gym hard everyday, doing cardio every other day, working abs every other day, and lifting HARD, I'm even more cut and bigger than I was when I ended the keto diet. I think this has to do with me taking a week off (rest), and my muscles absorbing carbohydrates.

I feel fucking AMAZING, have the most energy I've had in months, and my head is so fucking clear. I feel like I'm on fucking steroids. I mean, I am 17, and I DO have the most test I'll ever have naturally, but fuck I feel incredible.

This is the cleanest I've ever eaten. I've been keeping an eating log on fitday and hope to post new pics in a month or so.

No specific reason why I posted this thread, I guess maybe to inspire others not to cheat or some shit? I'm kind of just ranting now.

2. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

uh cool story hansel.

i've regulated my diet, i'm trying to cut down but am not sure whether i'm taking in too many cals to lose weight. lulz

3. CooperR6

CooperR6 New Member

explain your keto version pls

4. Inferior_Light

Inferior_Light Dear Homer, IOU one emergency donut. Signed Homer.

How long were you doing cardio and what were you using?

5. evh

evh Active Member

It's not just cals, it's a combination of how many cals, where they come from, when you have them, and cardio. A safe number for preservation of muscle mass and loss of fat is (Your body weight x 10). Start from there. If you want to lose mostly fat relatively quickly, go keto. 40% protein/40% fat/20% carbs. Do 30 mins of LIT cardio every other day upon waking before breakfast. You'll see dramatic results very quickly.

In a nutshell......

I'm a psycho. Careful with this.

Body weight x 9 = Your Cals.

Cals are in terms of these ratios:

Protein/Fat/Carbs
    40%/40%/20%

Try to only eat veggies for carbs. Lean and fatty meats. Lots of raw nuts and natty peanut butter. Lots of salads. Olive oil.
    Cardio upon rising before breakfast of LIT for 30 mins every other day. (I did every day, don't do this.)

You'll shed body fat like crazy from this, make sure you also do light workouts. Nothing heavy.

I did LIT cardio every other day AFTER working out for 30 mins. I literally pedaled 5mph on a bike. No huffing and puffing, but after 30 minutes you're pretty wet with sweat.

6. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

I wouldn't think your cals would be enough for most people on a bulk

7. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

He is 143 lbs, that could very well be enough for him for a clean bulk

8. Ish

Ish New Member

my bulking numbers for the last 3 monts have been

4000-4500 calories
    110-130g fat
    350-400g carbs
    250-275g protein

:dunno:

edit 145lbs

9. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

you are bulking on 2400 cals?

10. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

How tall are you?

11. Martinj

Martinj New Member

Cool work!

12. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

So with cardio and that diet at about 2300-2400 calories those were your results?

I'm a little heavier than you, about 151, and my upper body looks like yours but need the abs....They aren't bad but not rock hard.

My diet is very similar to yours maybe a little less calories and I burn over 1000 calories daily in cardio/workout/lifting.

Guess my question is you were never on like a straight cut diet?

Nice results btw!!

13. evh

evh Active Member

I know. There are a lot of misconceptions about bulking, or a better term would be gaining proper weight. Most people think, hey, let's eat a ton of fucking crap food 4,000 cals and get huge. Yes, you'll get huge. You'll also gain a ton of body fat. I don't want that.

I'm also 143 lbs. If someone at my same weight was eating 4,000 calories vs. my 2,300 in say about 3-4 months, yes, they will be heavier. I, however, will be MUCH leaner (I'll most likely stay around the same bf%), and have gained the same amount of muscle mass. I want to gain nothing but muscle mass. No fat.

That's ridiculous broseph. I can't even imagine how much body fat you've gained. There's a great article I've read on the whole "bulking vs. cutting" thing. I wouldn't necessarily consider what I'm doing bulking. Basically gaining muscle mass. I believe the whole bulking eating 4000 calories thing to be stupid (unless you're of the proper body weight), because when you go to cut the fat you're going to lose muscle mass. While I'm eating less calories but gaining nothing but muscle mass, the person on the 4,000 cal diet will be gaining a ton of body fat. I'll overall gain more muscle mass than someone on a 4,000 cal diet while maintaing my body fat, and during the period while that person is cutting, I won't have to. I'll still be building muscle. I'll try to find that article, it's very informative and well organized. It explains what I'm trying to say much clearer.

Yessir. 143 lbs.

5' 9"

Nah. I started at 155 lbs when I did the keto thing. I took in about 1400-1500 calories (155lbs x 9) with a cheat day about every 4-5 days. It sounds like a low amount of cals, but when you're eating almost nothing but protein and fat, it's not for someone of my weight. Like I've said, keep the workouts light when trying to burn fat. You're going to tear yourself up too much and go into catabolism. You don't want that. You just want to work yourself enough to maintain the muscle while shredding the fat for energy.

To sum up:

155 lbs
    1400-1500 cals per day
    40% protein / 40% fat / 20% carbs
    I'd switch up my days all the time and go 50% protein / 30% fat / 20% carbs.
    I'd also go 30% protein / 50% fat / 20% carbs.
    I'd also go 45/45/10

Switching it up is good, once you're on the keto thing for about 2-3 weeks. At first, keep it simple and use the ratio 40 pro/40 fat/20 carb.

To answer your main question, I guess you could say I wasn't on a straight cut diet. When you say straight cut diet, I get a picture of just slightly lowering your carbs, and slightly upping your fat, while lowering your overall cals a little bit.
    Prob something like 40% pro/ 30% carb / 30% fat. This would obviously take longer, but it's much less strict. I wanted to have an 8-pack in time for spring break, which I accomplished.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  14. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

you're a small boy.

15. evh

evh Active Member

Yep, I am. At the end of June I'll have been working out for exactly one year from when I started at a frail 128 lbs.

By June 2009 I hope to achieve 170-175 lbs, 8% bf. It's a bit of a stretch, I know, and I see myself actually hitting about 165lbs w/ 8% bf. I most likely wouldn't want to get any bigger than 170-175. I'll have to see how I look.

16. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

You're going to sell yourself short of muscle-gain because you're afraid of adding fat, imo.

17. TZ

TZ Banned

GET FUCKING HUGE

18. evh

evh Active Member

All you need is a calorie surplus and proper weight training to gain MUSCLE. Your body will put on muscle with the protein. Too many carbs (energy) and it's going to go nowhere but be turned to fat. Eating 400g of carbs and spending 2.5 hours in the gym is detrimental. Here's why. Carbs aren't used to synthesize muscle proteins. Proteins are. Carbs are used to give you the energy to pull that heavy ass weight.

I'll sum it up very basically. Your body can only store so many carbs as muscle/liver glycogen (basically energy) before you reach your maximum storage capacity. Once you surpass that, it's going to be stored as fat or go to waste. Therefore, all those extra calories/carbs/fat/protein you're eating before you train will be stored onto you as fat or just be shat out.

Same goes for after you train. Once you restore all the depleted muscle/liver glycogen, you're just having the extra food packed on as fat or used as waste.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

Please read that.

I forgot to mention, I will be exponentially increasing my cal intake every couple weeks. I've been carb/cal deprived for quite a while. Going head on in is a bad idea.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  19. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

funny. Im cutting on the same number.

20. Ep

Ep Guest

me too but that article just scared me lol

21. Abomb

Abomb New Member

nice plan :ugh:

22. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i have same phone

23. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

summertime bulk?

24. Ep

Ep Guest

the article brings up a good point though. I dont know if this guy knows his shit but basically you can only gain so much actual muscle (Duh). Number two, the more fat you gain, not only is it easier to gain unwanted fat but it's harder to lose it. Meaning the longer the cutting you have to do, meaning the more potential muscle you will lose. So its basically more longterm if anything. fuck:noes:

25. Ish

Ish New Member

[​IMG]
    you still arent eating enough even if you sackride this guys article :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.