Offshore aka India Help vs :ugh2:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frequency, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Working in the insurance industry currently and my main client finally has a few new projects coming in. Its all well and good except I work at a company that believes 9 woman can make a baby in 1 month and so they gave me an offshore resource.
    Thats all well and good if the resource could follow simple directions. I spend more time correcting, repeating, repeating and re-correcting that time its taken her to develop the screens she is working on

/rant off

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

welcome to outsourcing

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Yep.. outsourcing is a beotch.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

ok, i'm going to have to remember that one.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Only use them for repetitive tasks that would slow you down while you do real, thinking person's smart work. Otherwise just don't use them. Don't use them on core/critical components/tasks. And when you do, explain it thoroughly up front and then don't spend much time walking them through it. And check everything they do.

And if you're going to be using him for a while... train him. By this I mean give him tasks that he'll get better at as time goes along. Similar tasks. This reduces your overhead in teaching him wtf to do.

Also, consider getting a 'project manager' go between that sits between you and him, in India (on their end), if all else fails.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, I thought that was pretty slick too.

:rofl:

7. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Just do what I do and don't use the resource at all. Then when people ask, tell them you're not using the resource because they can't follow simple instructions.

You'll get it done faster by yourself anyway, it will be (arguably) less stressful, and certainly less frustrating.

Shit I don't even use local, english speaking resources sometimes because it takes 3x as long to explain something to them as it does to do it myself. Couple that with possibly having to explain it 3-5 times before it sinks in, and it takes a year or more for a resource to become useful enough to actually reduce my time worked...of course by then I've already wasted so many hours of time that it will take another 6-12 months for it to become worth it, and lets be honest most of the "idiot" resources don't stick around for 2+ years.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just think of the most mindless, monotonous thing you have to do in any week and assign them that. And if he's as bad as Mike's guy... ask for a new one. They are disposable.