Offroading in America

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Yossarian, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

You guys sure are lucky to have such a vast and diverse country to go offroading in and seeing all the pictures from trips all over the place is truly inspiring. And then reality hits me and I realise a decent XJ will set me back 25k, gas is 9 dollars a gallon and offroading without specific permission is illegal.. Government sanctioned trails are far and few inbetween too.:rolleyes:

Soak it all up, take full advantage, I was born in the wrong country.:hs:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

communism must suck.

3. squid

squid braap

This is why you should not vote for Hillary :mamoru:

4. Pavester

Pavester New Member

decent xj here will cost you like at most 10 grand, setup for some minor wheeling

5. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

You got screwed with offroading options, we got screwed with competent leaders. You win some, you loose some :dunno:

6. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

i have a feeling that our leaders look like kings compared to theirs

its 'lose' btw

7. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

:hsugh:

you're about 5k too high. I've got less than 5k in mine.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You have how much frozen, unpopulated tundra up north? It can't possibly all be swarming with cops waiting to arrest you for offroading.

That said, in most places in the USA it's illegal to offroad without permission, it's just that we have so much open space that it's virtually impossible to enforce until enough people congregate in one place that they start damaging the environment.

- - -

EDIT: How is gas $9 a gallon in Norge, anyway? Don't you guys have a bunch of oil rigs off the coast?

9. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

The tundras up north are all regulated for reindeer. The natives heavily enforce it. It was only a few years ago snowmobiles were accepted, and only for legitimate uses. The mindset is different here, we have a whole lot laws and everyone supports them (people will tell on you) regarding motorised transportation in nature, be it on snow, water or offroad. And about the oil? We're the worlds second biggest exporter of crude oil, we're not a member of OPEC so we make a killing off it. Hardly keep any of it for ourselves, the little we do keep gets taxed into oblivion. Cars in general are taxed into oblivion here, this is why we're partial towards smaller displacement, it's not because we necessarily think of fuel expenses but because the main attributes which come into play when taxing a vehicle is displacement, weight and horsepower. American cars suffer badly. Everything that has to do with a car is taxed like you wouldn't believe, everything from toll, roadtax, insurance, tax on insurance, gas, drivers license, ownership fees, registration, the number of people you can carry and the list just goes on. A single income household can rarely, very rarely support more than one vehicle. There's no such thing as a toy and daily driver here. The toy is going to cost you just the same as the daily driver and it'll suck you dry.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

Oh we've got our fair share of incompetent leaders too. Coalition governments produce some strange results. Putting the wrong ideologies in the wrong places.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

Actually, we do have a king. So I'd say our king looks like a king compared to just about anyone. But yeah, I do understand what you mean and in some areas I agree, some I don't. Things are rarely black and white.

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You should make your car into a boat and float it to America pronto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. deusexaethera

Shit, that sucks. Time to start collecting rubber bands and make yourself an alternative-energy car.

:big grin:

EDIT: At least you have universal healthcare, though. Can't seem to get that here. Everybody here is convinced things would go to hell if the government collected taxes and used them to pay for bulk contracts with the existing healthcare corporations. Because our existing system works so well. But...that a different topic entirely.

14. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

thats because we don't want universal healthcare. move to europe if you want that stupid shit

15. deusexaethera

It's a difference between luxuries and commodities. Healthcare isn't a luxury. Not going bankrupt after you get hit by a drunk driver is something everyone deserves.

Maybe we should get rid of universal firefighting and universal neighborhood policing too, we could save a lot of money that way.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would support getting rid of the police... but only if I can police myself... That means wild-west-style... never gonna happen.

Universal healthcare is communism and should never be in the us.

17. deusexaethera

There are people who say levying taxes to pay for Interstates is also communism. After all, who needs Interstates in a place like Montana? But then again, if you need to get from Chicago to Seattle and you can't fly, you'll sure be glad all those people in NYC and LA had to chip in to pay for that nice roadway, instead of having to put up with the gravel and dirt crap that is all the locals could afford to pay for.

The basic fact of the matter is there are certain things that everybody needs at some point in their lives, and they either cost way too much to pay for all at once, or they can't be gotten fast enough when you realize you need them, or people simply underestimate their real value. Hospitals fall into that category. Furthermore, while rich people will always be able to pay for better care, and I have no interest in stopping them from doing so, at the same time poor people shouldn't be deprived just because they have a job that nobody thinks is worth a decent wage. Fine, don't pay them more money, but at least make sure they can get what they need to survive.

18. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

If this wasn't Offtopic.com I'd never stray offtopic but yeah, fuck it.

If universal healthcare isn't progress in the grand scheme of things, I don't know what is. Like whats already been said, it would be cheaper for the government to buy bulk anyway. Overall you'd all win as a society.

19. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Easy, just yap in spanish or portuguese and tell them you're an immigrant, you won't have to pay ANY bills.

And you think government is the solution?
    Once the government gets' it's hands on something, it usually gets more expensive and complicated, and/or drops in quality.
    Look at the military and how much it pays for some things.
    Look at the contracts it awards, and how it awards them [hook ups for our nice politician friends].
    Look at the Big Dig here in Ma. How many BILLION dollars over budget is it?
    Who gets to decide when a visit is frivolous? How much paperwork will have to be filled out to prove a valid visit is justified? Who gets to decide when a patient is terminal and the government will no longer pay for their care?
    And if there are no checks on those, who ensures people don't abuse those same things to make more $$ for the HMOs?

Ideology is wonderful, and reality is a bitch.
    It's too bad reality is what you have to deal with.
    Pull your head out of the sand and take a look at the real world.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I support reducing taxes heavily. I support getting rid of lots of these "special-interest programs".

I don't want community healthcare where I'm forced down to the "lowest-common denominator". I pay extra for good coverage and that's what I want.

21. deusexaethera

Apparently you missed the part where I said I had no interest in keeping rich people from paying extra to get better care. I said nobody should be unable to get basic care.

22. deusexaethera

If you can convince the Salvation Army to give out free healthcare to the poor, that would be fine by me. Until that happens, the government is the only option -- whether it buys healthcare plans directly, or whether it passes laws requiring private insurers to provide cheaper plans to the poor, I don't care, but some people don't have healthcare under the current system and that's not cool.
    I work for a defense contractor; I get to see just how bloody complicated and strong and custom-made most of the stuff is that the military buys. The general rule is, by the time you can buy it from Brigade Quartermaster, it's already 25 years out-of-date. As such, your perception of how much you think military hardware should cost is based on the flawed assumption that the stuff you won't get shot for looking at is actually still current, and therefore doesn't factor in the previous two decades of depreciation.
    You'll appreciate it once you use it. That's a fantastic project, and being over budget doesn't reflect an actual waste of money, it reflects that nobody really knew just how much work would be needed to finish it.
    The patient's doctor gets to decide, and that will become a much easier decision once the doctor knows he's not going to lose out on being the provider for all of that expensive care, because the money will be there anyway.
    I don't know the answer to this one. I'll tell you, though, that HMOs were something that Nixon let happen, because he got offered generous stock options if he signed the bill.
    Tell that to a kid dying from diabetes because his parents can't afford insulin. That shit's expensive, you know.

23. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

They already can. It's the law; patients must be treated regardless for illnesses or life-threatening emergencies.
    It's a matter of priorities; when I see someone bitch about healthcare, who pays $75 a week to Rent-A-Center for useless shit, or has an expensive car when they can barely afford food, it's hard to be sympathetic.

I know there are families who are genuinely struggling; I have personally been there. But a lot of people are in dire straits by making shitty choices when it comes to setting priorities regarding spending.

I have been there, too. :eek3:

24. deusexaethera

Thanks for being objective. I respect that.

You're right about the personal finance aspect of the problem. A lot of problems could be solved if people were required to take microeconomics in high school, but that's just another of my liberal pipe dreams I suppose.

25. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

Sorry your life is so hard, send me a Defender 90.

jeg er sjalu, lol!