GUN Officials mum about fire at ATF agent's home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/08/17/20080817dobyns0817.html

Officials mum about fire at ATF agent's home

42 comments by Dennis Wagner - Aug. 17, 2008 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

Criminal investigators in Tucson put up a wall of secrecy last week after a fire that police believe was intentionally set damaged the home of a federal investigator who has faced death threats since he infiltrated the Hells Angels motorcycle club.

Dawn Hanke, a Pima County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman, confirmed that deputies are investigating a blaze at the residence of Jay Dobyns, who is among the most celebrated agents in the history of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Hanke said detectives have not established whether the blaze was set by an arsonist. She declined to provide additional information.

The blaze started about 3 a.m. last Sunday in the back-porch area at a house on a mini ranch in northwest Tucson, according to Willie Treatch, a fire marshal with Rural/Metro. Dobyns was not home at the time, but his wife and two children had to run outside in their nightclothes. Treatch said there were no injuries, but flames consumed the rear of the house, causing about $30,000 in damage. He would not discuss the investigation.

Dobyns, an agent for two decades, declined comment for this story.

The former all-conference receiver on the University of Arizona football team joined the ATF in 1987 and spent much of his career working dangerous undercover cases. He was wounded twice in the line of duty and received some of law enforcement's highest awards.

Several years ago, Dobyns penetrated Hells Angels clubs in Arizona by posing as a criminal affiliated with another biker gang. The case, known as Operation Black Biscuit, resulted in numerous indictments but mostly fell apart in court amid defense allegations of wrongdoing by snitches, investigators and prosecutors.

According to federal records, Hells Angels and other criminals have made threatening comments about Dobyns and his family and once sought to enlist prison-gang members to carry out a hit.

As the operation ended, an outlaw biker in Tucson supposedly warned Dobyns he would always be a target, looking over his shoulder. Dobyns subsequently complained that the ATF failed to protect him and his family despite 20 years of service. He criticized bureau administrators and filed a federal claim for damages.

Special Agent Tom Mangan of the ATF declined comment on the fire and would not say whether the bureau is assisting Dobyns with security.

Dobyns' exploits are described in several books, and he has co-authored a new one, set for release in February.

---

Hows he like it when the shoes on the other foot. :mamoru:

2. smartypants

smartypants New Member

:down:

Uncool.
    Hells Angels are scum.

3. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

So are some (or even many) BATF agents :dunno:

I don't condone setting fire to an LEO's house, but you can't deny, with a straight face, that some coppers don't bring shit onto themselves.

4. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Sounds like he burning bridges on both ends.

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Setting fire to a man's house is cowardly shit.
    Especially if he's not even there.

Insinuating that he in some way deserved this is bullshit.

6. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

How does a "copper" bring shit onto himself?

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Now that doesn't make it right, but it seems like maybe a dumb thing to try to cash in on his career and then complain the atf isn't protecting you well when you're making the spectacle out of yourself.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My comment may of been a bit out of line :o

But I dont consider the ATF to be much better then the hells angels. I have respect for most LEO's but don't understand why anyone would want to be a BATF agent unless they enjoy screwing over mostly law abiding citizens with one or two true bad guys here and there. Probably because they got rejected from every other federal and local law enforcment agency.

9. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

i guess Dobyns should of made an honest living instead, lulz

10. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Snitches is bitches

11. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Huh...Just last night I saw a show on how Dobyns infiltrated the Angels. He seemed like a decent enough guy. :dunno:

12. Carl Brutananadilewski

I'll just say I've seen guys I work with talk themselves into a fight with someone.

Respect is a two way street, whether you are dealing with some shithead doper or a guy who makes illegal machine guns. I guess respect isn't the correct word, because I certainly don't respect someone who kills for money or rapes children, but I don't treat them like absolute garbage either. I guess civility is the word I'm looking for. I work in a very poor area, and almost everyone has little to no respect for law enforcement. From what I've seen, some of that behavior is directly caused by the officers themselves.

Not to say this ATF agent was anything other than a stand up guy, because I don't know. I have met a few ATF agents though, and I haven't been impressed thus far. Here, at least, they are almost as bad as state troopers :o

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Wow.

I cannot fathom the mindset that some of you guys have where you think a potential attempt on a man and his families life is justified becuase he is an ATF agent.

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Most people that join BATFE probably do so more for the A and T than the FE :dunno:

15. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

im not going to knock the guy for his career choice, since i dont know shit about him, and have never met or interacted with any BATFE agents before. but i will say that hes got a rather large pair of brass balls on him to say what he did. if he were infiltrating some peice of shit little city gang, send several members to jail and only had to deal with a small group of possibly pissed off people.. i could understand. but to go undercover in the nations largest, most notorious and dangerous motorcycle gang and not expect some sort of repercussions... thats just stupid. why would you attack the people you work for? what does he expect? the presidential secret service to protect him? it comes with the territory. and to write not one, but TWO books about what you do is just fucking retarded. thats something you pull when youre 80 and long since retired. hes putting his families life in jeopardy so that he can exploit his career choices. its as fucking stupid as OJ writing his book about "how" he would have murdered them. theres just certain things you have to accept when you make a choice a monumental as this guy did by going undercover in the Hells Angels. and then when something does happen, you say the people who have decorated you with several of the highest medals dont look out for your well being. thats just pure arrogance. it would be one thing if the agency told him to piss off and cover the damages himself.. but how long has he given them to respond to his claims? didnt this just happen a few days ago? for all we know he left his grill on and it set fire to the porch. let them finish their investigation and then decide what to do... BEFORE you go attacking their integrity.

16. Carl Brutananadilewski

I never said setting this agents' house on fire was justified or he deserved it just because he was an ATF agent. I suggested perhaps his actions leading up to this event may have played a role in it. Infiltrating something like Hell's Angels would have to be a damn hard UC operation, so one would think the agent would want to lay low for a little while when he's done with it, not write two books about it.

17. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

Wow...I would treat someone who rapes children like absolute garbage... The last thing a child rapist deserves is civility. I dont think the word is in their vocabulary, considering rape is about as far from civility as one could get.

18. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

:werd: but there wouldn't be any left if the cops let the people "defend" themselves and go after them. :o

19. Carl Brutananadilewski

On your own time, that's fine with me.

But I can't throw them down a flight of steps, or bounce their face off the hood of my car, and still expect to keep my job. Not only that, but the shitbag will just get off on the charges anyway, or get a significantly reduced sentence.

The point is, when you're a cop you deal with the absolute worst members of society. These losers and assholes bring nothing to the table, but as a police officer, you are expected to be professional when dealing with them. I have found it is much easier to conceal how you really feel about people and just treat everyone with a little courtesy. Sure, I've had to go hands on with people before. But that doesn't mean I spit in their face after it's over.

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I have a hard time believing you're a cop.

21. Carl Brutananadilewski

Why? Because I don't immediately defend the actions of every cop, and realize there are bad apples in law enforcement? It's not like that is a secret; why do you think a large percentage of the population looks at police with distrust and fear?

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

So you're saying that you're a POST Certified Police Officer?

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Just posting so I remember this thread.

I agree with smartypants. Burning some guys house down is fucking chickenshit.

24. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

I don't support what happened to him. The simple fact of the matter is that if you do something like that (undercover work), especially to an outlaw biker gang, they are going to hunt you down. You go writing books about your exploits and that's a huge slap in the face and a call-out.

He probably had some type of protection right up to the point he started writing and cashing in on his exploits. Kinda hard to lay low when you are doing book signings.

The big suprise is that it was only arson, and apparently a shitty job at that. IF it was caused by a third party.

25. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Burning a house down; like anything else takes skill, brains and reasonable sobriety.
    Bikers are not known for this.