MIL Official: USMC Hair Regulations

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WildBull, Feb 24, 2009.

1. WildBull

WildBull Guest

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO P1020.34G W CH 1-5.pdf

I've gotten shit for having my hair 1.5 inches long before.

General

No eccentricities in the manner of wearing head, facial, or body hair will be permitted. If applied, dyes, tints, bleaches and frostings which result in natural colors are authorized. The hair color must complement the person's complexion tone. Color changes that detract from a professional image are prohibited. Fingernails will be kept clean and neatly trimmed so as not to interfere with performance of duty, detract from military image or present a safety hazard. Nail polish for male Marines is not allowed. Nail polish as it applies to female Marines will fall under standards explained below.

Males

Men will be well groomed at all times and will abide by the following:
    Hair will be neat and closely trimmed. The hair may be clipped at the edges of the side and back; will be evenly graduated from zero length at the hairline in the lower portion of the head to the upper portion of the head; and will not be over 3 inches in length fully extended on the upper portion of the head; the back and sides of the head below the hairline may be shaved to remove body hair. Sideburns will not extend below the top of the orifice of the ear. Sideburns will not be styled to taper or flare. The length of an individual hair of the sideburn will not exceed 1/8 inch when fully extended.
    Head hair will be styled so as not to interfere with the proper wear of uniform headgear. Hair which protrudes from beneath properly worn headgear in an unsightly manner is considered excessive, regardless of length.
    No male Marine will be required to have his hair clipped to the scalp except while he is undergoing recruit training or when such action is prescribed by a medical officer. This does not prohibit a male Marine from having his hair clipped to the scalp if he so desires.
    Members of the Selected Marine Corps Reserve will comply with these regulations, except that wigs are authorized for periods of inactive duty for training. If worn, wigs will comply with the above grooming regulations.
    The face will be clean shaven, except that a mustache may be worn. When worn, the mustache will be neatly trimmed and must be contained within imaginary vertical lines from the corners of the mouth and the margin area of the upper lip. The individual length of a mustache hair fully extended must not exceed 1/2 inch.
    Except for a mustache, eyebrows, and eyelashes; hair may be grown on the face only when a medical officer has determined that shaving is temporarily harmful to the individual's health. In these cases, the medical officer may issue a temporary "shaving waiver."
    No male Marine will be required to have his chest hair clipped except that which is so long as to protrude in an unsightly manner above the collar of the long sleeve khaki shirt.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

its the Marine Corps, bro you are going to get shit for your haircut

3. Kasumi Chan

Kasumi Chan Happy, joyous and free. But fuck off.

Don't join the fucking military then. :dunno:

4. spook

spook OT Supporter

Don't tell me you're one of the dumbasses that busts out the MCO after getting ripped for your shitty haircut.

5. Off

Off Memento Mori

Yeah, thats an annoying part of being in the military, but there are reasons for these rules; hygiene in the field and professionalism. Look at the belgians and tell me they inspire confidence.

Im sure as hell not taking a ruler to my head to see if im within regs, so my solution is simple: just clip it all off every week.

6. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

I've been meaning to ask:

Are haircuts offered free of charge? My hair grows fast.

I agree with the regs... Especially aftering watching the night crowd in the smoking section of IHOP last night

7. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

No male Marine will be required to have his chest hair clipped except that which is so long as to protrude in an unsightly manner above the collar of the long sleeve khaki shirt. :rofl:

8. Julius

Julius Guest

the army is due to revise their reg on this.

ibGayAss82ndAirborneHighAndTightsHooah

9. rat

rat New Member

Don't know about the marines, but the army even makes you pay for your haircuts in fucking basic training. :ugh:

10. WildBull

WildBull Guest

yes they made us pay for our haircuts and food actually I believe.

11. WildBull

WildBull Guest

no, but I believe if I'm not breaking a rule you can STFU about it. I will personally give people shit if it's not a fade from 0, has highlights, or is too long. I'll enforce it. However, as long as it's within regs i'm not going to be the one with a broom stick in my ass trotting around like i'm hot shit yelling at people with longer hair that's in regs.

12. WildBull

WildBull Guest

already in about to get out :rolleyes:

13. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

join a unit where you can grow normal hair. otherwise deal with it.

14. RoAcH CoAcH

RoAcH CoAcH Guest

Did anyone look at that thread dude posted about german army basic training... Look at their hair

15. Julius

Julius Guest

pretty much the only workaround

16. spook

spook OT Supporter

Chill. I've been around the Corps long enough to plenty of ass chewings for less so I know what you're saying. I wasn't calling you out, your original post didn't really explain why you were linking the regs

17. WildBull

WildBull Guest

oh i dunno... i just felt like posting them because there's always so much controversy over it... in my battalion anyway.

18. spook

spook OT Supporter

I just keep it short enough to where there's no debate. If I'm going to be in the field for some time, I'd rather have it all off anyway.

19. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

What is your point?

20. high and tight is the shittiest haircut in the world. if it comes down to high and tight or one all over...its a one all over for me.

21. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

check rog