MMA Official Pride 30 picks

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Rommel, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

Sergei Kharitonov vs Fabricio Werdum
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs Ken Shamrock
    James Thompson vs Alexander Lungu
    Henry Miller vs Zuluzinho
    Yoon Dong Sik vs Makato Takimoto
    Josh Barnett vs Mirko Filopovic
    Rampage vs Hirotaka Yokoi
    Murad Chunkaiev vs Murilo Rua

For pride 30 this sunday morning (GMT), this has half turned into a preview and half into a prediction. Regards.

Kharitonov (i think his wrestling will be tight, his boxing crisp and he will overwhelm werdum with strikers from the onset, however i think if werdum gets him down and can keep the top position or get the back he has a very good chance of catching him, however werdum doesn't have the boxing or the chin of nog so how long he will last on the feet will be determined by whether hecan get the takedown)

Shamrock (regardless of whether he's been training bjj at chuteboxe i think he will lose, shamrocks wrestling isn't bad at all and his strikes carry decent power. I think saks problem is that he's always been lacking power and that he never gnp's to finish. I guess if he can get shamrock down he has all the chance of finishing him but shamrock has a great ability to get back to his feet and still remains very explosive)

Thompson (big and not fat is the key here for thompson, lungu looks like an out of shape keg and i think even with his judo will not be able to do much when the fight hits the ground, these big guys were never known for their finesse anyways. i think thompson has the striking edge and his gnp and aggression will destroy the hope of an easy fight for lungu. I've seen thompsons fight against tengiz (another awesome wrestler) and one thing is that he never gives up and is always trying to get him up. Whether lungu can not gas and keep getting him down is going to be the critical edge in this match.

Zuluzinho (big, huge, all 350lbs of beef behind his tall frame spells disaster for sentoryu, not only is he bigger, he is the better striker and seems to have half decent cardio for a guy of his size. Can't say i know that much about him but i just think that he is a bigger, better version of sentoryu. However if miller can get him down then i guess there is a chance that the fight can go to a decision win without much activity on the ground.

Takimoto ( I think Takimoto will take this one, he is the 81kg Olympic Judo champion and has been with yoshida dojo for a while now. After a less than enthralling debut against miller and a lacklustre second fight with tamura he still is looking to impress. However in both fights he did hold his own against a significant weight advantage from miller and the vast experience of tamura. He has shown impressive and quick takedowns but often looks tentative. I think his striking is probably better than Dongs and his takedowns are awesome, at least enough to neutralise Dong. Takimoto will look to finish but i reckon it will go to decision.)

Cro Cop ( I think this fight may go of two ways, either cro cops learned from his mistakes, his style of striking has turned extremely one dimensional and predictable and fedor exploited this unmercilessly. He could come out mixing it up and really frustrate barnett on the feet leaving him confused.

Either that or barnett picks him apart the same way fedor did, taking him down, passing the guard, keeping mount or side and playing really safe. However i think cro cop is a smart guy with good people around him and i think once again he will systematically pick apart barnett.)

Rampage
    (I think he is just better, better striking and good at getting back to his feet. I don't think yokoi will be able to keep him down on the floor. Rampage will pick him apart on the feet and probably end up gnping him for a decision.

Rua
    (Now Chunkaiev is supposed to be an olympic level wrestler who has 4 good wins to his name, the question is whether he is able to strike and make somthing of his takedowns. Now ninja has a wealth of experience and has great scrambling, bjj and striking, his wrestling isn't that hot and i expect chunkaiev to probably take him down. But it would be in the realm of possibility that he gets submitted or taken apart in the way that tamura did to mahmud.

He is the smaller man, a 185lber againsta 200lb ninja, i think ninjas experience and non stop cardio will win him this fight.)

Now that's my predictions, long winded, full of grammar mistakes and probably incomprehensible, when i write i tend to overlook mistakes that mentally i brush over despite my fingers tapping the wrong things.

Oh well, enjoy

2. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

Official Pride 30 picks
    Sergei Kharitonov vs Fabricio Werdum
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs Ken Shamrock
    James Thompson vs Alexander Lungu
    Henry Miller vs Zuluzinho
    Yoon Dong Sik vs Makato Takimoto
    Josh Barnett vs Mirko Filopovic
    Rampage vs Hirotaka Yokoi
    Murad Chunkaiev vs Murilo Rua

sergei
    saku
    thompson
    zuluzinho
    takimoto
    cro cop
    rampage
    ninja

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Fabricio Werdum
    Ken Shamrock
    James Thompson
    Zuluzinho
    Makato Takimoto
    Josh Barnett
    Rampage
    Murilo Rua

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

hey chechen are you "hamoom" on sherdog?

6. chechen

yes

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

ah cool, I think I downloaded some ghetto clips of you grappling in a basement once. You were pretty slick. Have you rolled with Mirada, hayliks, and resendiz?

8. chechen

yes..

i've tapped mirada and resendiz out. resendiz is really defensive when i roll with him.

mirada was injured

i saw hayliks roll, and hes good, but he blows himself up wayyyyyy too much

video of me rolling very light with resendiz

9. chechen

excuse the farmers tan. ive since evened it out :o

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

lol awesome! the world is a small place.

Hayliks (Alex) was MY instructor for a period of 1.5 years (till he graduated last semester). I know what you mean about how he blows himself up sometimes, but I respect his hard work and the hellish hours he spent with me trying to teach me as much as I could from him before he left my school.

11. chechen

oh wow, thats pretty nuts man. it's weird how you can be connected through people that way :cool:

yeah i wanted to roll with him but we just didnt get to it, and he had to take off. i was sucking really bad that day anyway

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

hah yeah it is crazy. He actually got his purple belt 4 or 5 months ago from Carlos Machado.

13. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Nice. That first heelhook attempt was awesome, got a link to that technique?

14. chechen

its a rolling toe hold, and unfortunately i dont have a link on how to do it.. :hs:

heres a video of someone else doing it

15. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

i remember cafe dantas doing that on 101 submissions part two

16. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Erm, toehold, thats what I meant.

:cool: I gotta try that shit.