OFFICIAL OT WRC thread

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guido The Penguin, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Hey, the F-1 bunch got a sticky, why cant we?

Ok, third round of the season is coming up this weekend in Corsica for the Tour De Corse , also known as the 'Rally of a Thousand Turns'.

Its tarmac, so immeditaly that makes Peugeot and Citroen the faves. But the factory Citroen team is not entering this round, only Philipe Bugalski in a privateer Xsara will be entered.

Tommi Makinen and Colin McRae have gotten to know the crash teams personally over the last two years in Corsica. Tommi's regular co-driver Mannisenmaki is still not healed from last years crash, so Lindstrom will still pair Tommi.

For Ford, Carlos Sainz is always fast on the hard stuff, but the Pirelli tires on the Focus always seem to be down on grip from the Michelin shod Peugeots.

Also of a weird note, Nicky Grist, Colin's co driver, will have a new seating arrangement in the Focus which will see him almost literally sitting on the floor of the Ford car. This is supposed to improve the handling of the Focus by literally lowering the center of gravity in the Focus, but at the same time, Grist will not be able to see over the dash of the car. :eek:

Subaru and Hyundai will be using newly homologated versions of their cars also. But both will be more evolution than complete revolution of the cars.

Gronholm leads the championship with 12 points, followed by Makinen with 10, Sainz with 8, and Loeb with 6.

One big note is that defending Corsican champ Jesus Puras will not be participating after failing to secure a drive for the rally.

2. Aphoric

Aphoric Guest

time and channel?

3. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Will the Skoda even fit on the roads? :big grin:

4. Guido The Penguin

Speed TV will have Rally XS Thursday night at 11 Eastern.

Then hour long daily recaps of each leg Fri-Sunday also at 11 PM Eastern

Then Monday, an hour long recap od the third leg at 5:30pm Easter, and an hour recap of the whole rally at 11 pm Eastern.

Then all of next week at different times, Speed TV will re air the different Corsica Rally shows. Check the Speedtv.com program guide.

5. Guido The Penguin

More so than Arrows can take the start of a race...... :big grin:

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Oh god, another 1 week sticky. :o

7. Guido The Penguin

FiA regulations limit all Group A 8 (full factory WRC cars) too 300 hp. They all have to use a 34 mm air restrictor. They all also are limitied to under 2000 CCs (2.0 litre) displacements.

Group N are also limited to under 2000 CCs, but they must use more 'stock' parts, which limits them on actual HP/torque and driveline components.

There's other classes of rally cars in the WRC, but the engine regulations for them basically get stepped down for each lower number (A8 versus A7, A6, etc...)

8. Guido The Penguin

Well, even though they're only 300 hp, they have absurd amounts of torque. The Impreza 44S WRC is listed at 60 kg-m/torque and at only 4,000 rpm.

The gear ratios are very short, which also gives them extreme acceleration. But the top flat out speeds are never much more than 120 mph.

Of the top of my mind, the highest recorded top speed of a WRC car was 207 km/h by Richard Burns in an Impreza. About 120 mph.

9. Guido The Penguin

damn, no love for WRC huh?

10. :wtc: no speedTV up at school :crying: no f1 OR wrc

11. Guido The Penguin

damn, I'd have shot the local cable company by now if they didn't carry SpeedTV......

12. Ruination

Ruination New Member

Does anyone know how the Subaru team has been doing? I've missed a lot lately.

:uh:

13. Damon

Damon Guest

just posting to give sum lub for WRC :bigthumb:

14. lefty

lefty I :heart: music

WRC Ownz All

I don't think I get "SpeedTV" though :dunno:

15. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Guido, I think it's hopeless to expect any more discussion into WRC than a few "owns" statements and a few comments about drifting. :big grin:

16. Sibs

Sibs FUCK THIS TEAM

ahem... did you honestly think you would have the same sucess of my F1 post?

:fawk:

17. Allmotor

Allmotor Guest

marcus gronholm has been looking good, but i've always liked richard burns.

18. Allmotor

Allmotor Guest

^ i like peugeot

19. 99VFR

99VFR Guest

The co-driver seats in the older Subaru were pretty low to the floorpan as I recall. And set back farther in the car than the driver seat.

I am sorry to say I don't get SpeedTV... doesn't that seem a little odd? All these European ethnicities, and no F1, Touring Car, or WRC. Boo hoo...

Has anyone here ever run a rally? SCCA or otherwise? I know that there are a bunch of rally schools in Britain akin to the road racing schools here in the states. I've also been to a few WRC rallies (only the Welsh stages since I have cousins there), but it was really fantastic.

I would love to learn the Scandinavian flick... :big grin:

20. lefty

lefty I :heart: music

It's not like the co-driver needs to see anything, his job is to sit there and read the turns. I remember watching one rally where a co-driver was too scared to even look at the road.

21. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

yea gronholm and makinen are owning
    but i m still disappointed makinen went to subie (rite?)
    i mean d00d he got a mitsubishi named after him!!

22. hondaluva

hondaluva likes free hugs...

After 4 championships in a row, I would demand my own car too. ;)

23. kokujin

kokujin Guest

OK - 1st of all... I Declare OT Rally Crew

I'm #001.

The cars are theoretically limited to 300hp by restrictor size, but through clever engineering, and the bending of the laws of physics, most make ~320hp, and the prodrive/STi EJ20 makes roughly 500lb/ft. That can really make a car move.

Most co-drivers will look up at the road periodically to synchronize themselves with the notes (and fend off motion sickness, for which they've already taken a large prophylactic dose of drammamine) , but the motion of the car should be enough, with practice to cue the co-driver, and either way, Colin can tell him to speed up or slow down his dictation. I, personally, would like to be able to see what's going on, but I bet that Nicky will be a little safer sitting lower...in the inevitable McCrash experience.

24. Guido The Penguin

I are #002

And maybe Nicky has a thing for 'not wanting to see it coming'.... :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2002
  25. Guido The Penguin

Subaru started the season with a win for Makinen and a 6th place for Petter, netting them 12 points and the early lead in the championship.

Last rally (Sweden) saw Makinen out on the first day when his engine over-heated after the radiator was blocked with snow, then Petter dropped out on the second day when his engine lost all oil, and dropped to 2 cylinders.

They're now 3rd in the championship behind Peugeot (20) and Ford (16)