MIL **OFFICIAL** Important Information Everyone Should Know thread

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

This is like the Joining The Military FAQ thread, but will contain info everyone, primarily people already in, should know such as medical related stuff, benefits you may not be aware of, etc. etc. etc.

Ranger... sticky? :x:

I'll start it off with some good info on medical disability and whatnot that was posted by fintheman:

EDIT BY RANGER-AO: Added the following corrections from mrmephistopheles

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  2. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Holy grammar crapola.

I think I got my basic points across.

By the way, its not as easy as one would think to get out on medical. So if you are reading this, and think you can conjur up something, try. Malingering is not a nice thing to have a NJP for. I wrote this for the people who have legit medical problems. My experience was a sour one, and I don't know if its limited (Medically). I don't have ANY gripes against the DoD or the USAF for the unseen medical problems that happened. I still encourage people to join. I don't think it was the doctors that were not capable, it was the system. A quick example could be, the machine (preggo lady belly thingy) was used to check for my DVT. It did not find it? Why? Because it was outdated and not as good.

Don't forget, you are under tri-care/humana. Don't assume you have to go to the base hospital for ALL treatment. Call up Humana/Tri-care, and ask how to get treatment for something, they may say, go, and we'll pay (co-pay, etc.,) or get a referral (Most referrals don't need co-pay from the military docs).

I open ANYONE to PM me with a question from psych problems while you are still AD or getting out and wonder how to file your claim and how to apply for Vocational Rehab (if you are 20% disabled or more)

-Fin

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act.

I have used it, it works wonders.
    Lets you out of a home or auto lease if you are no longer able to meet that lease due to military obligation. [not cause you just want out]

Contrary to popular belief, the SSRA is for AD as well as Reserve/Guard troops.

Before I joined the military I had most of the credit cards I have now, two of which were store cards (Sears, furniture store), and a car loan. Since I took a pay cut joining the military (base pay only) I applied for relief under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act to my creditors.

What did this do?

This lowered my interest rate down to 6% a year, and the big thing was it changed the interest from compounding to simple. I will not go into further detail, I just hope you guys can figure out the major difference. One of my creditors dropped the interest completely off. I had one that tried to fight it, I consulted my legal office and sent them a nice "Please comply or I will own you" letter. They promptly complied.

To me this makes the SSRA a huge benefit. I don't currently own any land [hopefully soon though], although there is a huge section on land ownership, mortgages and foreclosures and your rights under SSRA.

This single Act, can be a huge player in your military career when dealing with financial institutions and major purchases/leases.

Please see your legal office for more information.

Here is the link Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act

Further reading:
    [FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, Simplified, and Servicemembers Civil Relief Act in Detail.

[/FONT]

4. Accord

Accord New Member

2006 active duty pay chart: http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,78426,00.html

2006 reservist drill calculator: http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,31090,00.html

The 2006 military basic pay reflects an across the board 3.1 percent raise. Authority for the raise was granted in 1999, under the 2000 defense authorization act, which directs that annual military raises from 2001 through 2006 be set at one-half percentage point above private sector wage growth.

5. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

"I would like to make a correction, you can get vocational rehab at any percentage."

You ...**can** but the standard is 20% still, the thing is, if you have a obvious service connected disability that is rated under that affects your ability to work.

6. Cheschire

Cheschire New Member

The best place to start studying for anything in the Army is http://www.armystudyguide.com/

It's not the absolute end all be all of information resources, but it's definitely a great place to start, whether you are teaching a class on some CTT basics, or want to study for the promotion boards, etc. They even have lists of cadences, for those times you find yourself in charge of PT and can't think of anything to sing while your running!

Anyways, hope this helps people. It's helped me and several NCO's in my unit quite a bit.

7. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

For ASSISTANCE in writing an Army NCOER go to www.ncoer.com What I use the site for is for help in writing bullets. I never ever ever ever take the bullets directly from there, but I will read a few of the bullets and get inspiration for my own bullets.

Something that has been weighing heavily on my mind lately, for you active duty guys, is home ownership. We receive housing allowances (for those of us who are able to live off post) that is tax free. If you buy a house at a duty location, you will receive tax free money to pay for this house. When you sell this house, this money is returned to you in the form of equity (If you've done upgrades or maintained the house well the house oftentimes can appreciate netting free money). Essentially this money that Uncle Sam has given to you tax free can be kept for future investments. This is my biggest mistake of all. I've pissed away 9yrs of tax free money by renting apartments and/or living overseas. Food for thought.

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

9. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

Here's my $0.02USD (other than what Ranger-AO added in at the top)

First I'll reiterate fintheman's point of having EVERY AILMENT checked out at Medical. This goes 1000x for recurring or persistent problems. With a paper trail of complaints, the VA will be a million times more likely to help you out.

After you get your initial rating, you have one year to dispute the findings. The burden of proof is on you at this point (the VA has already done their examinations). This doesn't mean that after your year has lapsed, you can't go back and get your rating increased on claims you didn't get anything for - it just means they won't give you any back-pay. Feel free to refile your claim - not all of the people evaluating claims are experienced, nor do they all want to help us out. When you do so, however - PROVIDE PROOF! Have written statements or forms from Drs stating their findings.

My experience -
    I spent a little over 4 years in the USMC, and during that time I cracked or broke a rib (didn't see medical about it), suffered some sort of back injury (didn't see medical about it), broke my foot (saw medical, got 0%), and had chronic lower back pain (saw medical, got 10%).

Now I'm here with 10%, persistent back pain, and occasional foot pain. The foot pain has led my knees to hurt, and the back pain was recently attributed to a herniated disc. I'm going to request a reevaluation of my rating soon to get it bumped up, as it's affecting my quality of life significantly.

Another thing I'll be submitting proof of is my tinnitus. For those of you who don't know, tinnitus is that ringing in your ears, just like after a rock concert or a trip to the dragstrip, only it NEVER goes away.

The VA hates tinnitus, because when they award a % for it, it's generally 10% per ear, and 99% of people complain of both ears.[edit - this is only applicable if you submitted your claim before June of '03, after June of '03 it's 10% period.] What the VA people may tell you (if they give a reason at all) is that tinnitus isn't possible without associated hearing loss. THIS ISN'T TRUE. You can have ringing in your ears and still be able to participate in a regular conversation (which is one of the tests they perform). Laughably, the VA doctor who did my evaluation physical wrote simply that my tinnitus isn't able to be tested. The evaluator then denied the tinnitus claim based on that statement. The fact is, there IS no test for tinnitus.
    There is no way for them to say whether or not you have it. Granted, with associated hearing loss, it's much more common for tinnitus to occur, but it's not impossible for it to occur without it.

If you were exposed to tuberculosis while you were on active duty (PPD convertor), claim it. They won't assign you a rating, but if after the INH treatment anything goes wrong and you need medical care - the VA WILL help you out.

I'll put up more when I think of it.

MOAR!!!
    0% Disability - this is a curiously named status when it comes to veterans. Essentially, it means that the VA has examined your claim, and found one or more problems with you that they don't consider to have a significant effect on your livelihood or quality of life. An example of this is a broken bone.

ANY broken bone is (with rare and little exception) worthy of 0%. Obviously if it's a compound fracture and/or other problems arose from or were associate with the break, it'd be potentially worth more than 0%. For simple, clean breaks that heal without trouble - 0%.
    That means if you break both arms and legs, you get 4 x 0%, which = 0%. Sounds like a bum deal, right?
    Wrong. This means that if in the future any of those breaks cause you pain and make you unable to live your life, you can go back to the VA for healthcare and possibly a higher rating.

Advantages of 0% - Free college in many states for your offspring, sometimes your spouses. Tax breaks, deferred fees, all kinds of stuff - you just have to find out about it.

Here are some links -

CA Vet benefits: http://www.cdva.ca.gov/cdva/benefits.asp
    TX Disabled Vet benefits: http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/Morebens.htm
    2006 Listing of Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents: http://www1.va.gov/opa/vadocs/fedben_pt1.pdf

edited by Ranger-AO: for line-breaks
    edited by mrmephistopheles: thanks!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  10. mrmephistopheles

mrmephistopheles Not right... in the head.

I didn't see this in here, so I'll add it (but it was that sweet piece of ass fintheman that showed it to me).

Veteran's Benefits Network
    http://p203.ezboard.com/bvetbenefits

This is THE place to go to get help in filing, appealing, or whatever else you want to do with your disability claims and ratings.
    Nothing but good people there.
    I've posted one thread and received about 10 helpful posts and 2 lengthy PMs offering assistance and advice.

11. darnit

darnit New Member

12. darnit

darnit New Member

13. Jyokker

Resources for military members

www.MilitaryOneSource.com

A DOD sponsored website that contains tons of useful information and links.
    Registration is free and is available for all military members or dependants.

Now, you add a resource and description. It could be a military discount or a site that has information, as long as the information pertains to current military members, not people looking to join.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Education Assistance

Copied from http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=63916994#post63916994

15. Jyokker

Air Force Active Duty MGIB Kicker Program

Additional$600 to MGIB

Benefit information

Individuals may contribute a maximum of $600.
    Contributions are not refundable.
    The minimum contribution is $20 and is made in increments of $20.
    Unlike the $1200 pay reduction, the contributions do not offer individuals a tax benefit.
    Contributions increase the monthly Chapter 30 benefit by $1 for each $4 contribution.
    Contributions can be started and stopped at any time while the participant is on active duty.
    The maximum $5400 benefit is achieved by contributing $600 and receiving 36 months of fulltime benefits.

This DVA example shows how the benefit works. If an individual contributes $100, the monthly benefit rate will increase by $25. With a basic full-time rate of $800 (based on completing an obligation of three years or more), the monthly rate would increase to $825. In addition, the basic full-time rate of $800 along with a $600 contribution increases the monthly rate by $150, for a monthly rate of $950.
    Enrollment and contribution procedures

Individual & Education Services program representative complete a DD Form 2366. The DD 2366 must include the statement "Authorized under PL 106-419 to contribute an additional $600 (maximum) toward my existing GI Bill benefit. I understand the minimum contribution is $20 with increases in $20 increments. Contributions are non-refundable."

The individual carries a copy of the DD Form 2366 to Finance and makes a contribution. Contributions may be made as a pay deduction, separation pay, in cash, by cashiers check or money order payable to the local Finance Office.

Finance Office staff will confirm the contribution by providing the participant with a DD Form 1131 and/or annotating the DD Form 2366.
    Individual then returns the original copy of the DD Form 2366 to the education office for further processing. Individual should also maintain a copy for their personal file.

EYOB NINJA THREAD DELETE DETECTED.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  16. Jyokker

www.fafsa.edu.gov

Active Duty Military
    Under the new law, if you are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training, you are considered to be an "independent" student and will not need to provide parental information on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
    If you are on active duty and have already provided parental information when you completed your FAFSA, contact your financial aid office to see if your information should be adjusted.

17. Jyokker

18. Jyokker

19. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

20. Jyokker

Drug use before you join

1. If you are serious about joining, stop doing any and all drugs.

2. If you tried marijuana once or twice and never became a user, your recruiter will probably not care. Most people have experimented once or twice.

3. If you were or currently are a habitual user of marijuana, let your recruiter know. It will not disqualify you from joining. He just needs to do a bit more paperwork. The admission actually makes you look better than if you lied. While recruiters may be liars, they are your gateway into the service. If they catch you in a lie, you will not be getting in.

4. If you do any drugs harder than marijuana, you will be disqualified from jobs that require security clearances. This is a gray area when it comes to disqualification of enlistment. You may have to get character references.

5. If your recruiter knows you have a drug history and is working to get you in, be courteous and stop doing any drugs. Everyone is drug tested and if you are caught, your recruiter will tell you to get lost and not come back. You have wasted everyone's time.

6. If you are serious about joining, stop doing any and all drugs.

21. huge

huge OT Supporter

For Texas Residents ONLY:

HAZLEWOOD EXEMPTION:

http://www.collegefortexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=500

• Up to 150 semester hours of secondary education at Texas public universities. Tuition is FREE. You pay for books and application fees, etc. For instance, I'm using mine to take the PMP certification class, then I'll be using it for my Masters. I paid for my books and the application fee.

• Basically, if you served 180 days Active Duty and your home of record is Texas (or you entered the service in Texas), you qualify. You need to exhaust all of your Federal education benefit sources first (GI Bill or post 911 GI Bill) first to use it.

INSTRUCTIONS:

FIRST STEP: Get your VA education benefits award letter from Muskogee, OK. You need to fill out the VONAPP application here: http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp
    It takes about 6-8 weeks to get your award letter in the mail, so plan ahead. I never put any money into the GI Bill, and none of my active duty time counted toward the requirements toward the Post 911 G.I. Bill anyway, so I was eligible to use the Hazlewood Exemption right off of the bat.

SECOND STEP: Fill out the form for applicants that have never used the Hazlewood Act: http://www.collegefortexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=208145E1-B92D-AF36-82C14E306BD4D186

THIRD STEP: Apply to your school of choice. A list of approved schools is listed here: http://collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=D57D0AC5-AB2D-EFB0-FC201080B528442A

FOURTH STEP: Once you have your award letter and you've been accepted into the school you applied at, then sign up for the courses you want to take (you may need to meet with an advisor first).

FIFTH STEP: Once you've signed up for your courses, take your Hazlewood App, a copy of your DD-214, your VA benefits letter, and the courses you signed up for to the financial aid office. They'll enter you into the system. It took me about 5 minutes at the Financial Aid counter.

SIXTH STEP: Congrats on your free education. :bigthumb:

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

V/r,

Uncle Huge