Official AutoX/Road Race Thread

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CJPA, Apr 12, 2008.

1. CJPA

CJPA New Member

:mb: :mb: :mb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up on the curb :noes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Pavester

Pavester New Member

3. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

mmmmmmkay...still doesn't get rid of the fact that mustangs are terribly set up for things like that...modded, anything can hold it's own on a road course, but there are obviously more ideal cars for certain situations. I applaud you for going against the odds and if you like mustangs, then more power to you. But the fact remains that a smaller, lighter car with a more sophisticated suspension setup is better for those situations :dunno: I've taken my maxima on a road course, but that doesn't mean it handles well...it has a decent amount of chassis flex stock, very soft suspension bushings, and it's FWD....as long as you agree to something similar, you're alright in my book :bigthumb:

4. CJPA

CJPA New Member

I'm reading your post with mixed emotions of :squint: and :) ......

Let me just say that I can embarass plenty of smaller, more nimble cars even in repeated turns where my car's greater HP and Torque advantage is largely eliminated.

And anyways--this is about race what you have! :)

5. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Good to see a mustang owner take criticism positively :bigthumb:
    And I agree about having fun with what you have. Otherwise why the hell would I bring a maxima to a road course? :rofl:

6. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Fuck if I know, man :rofl:

7. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

8. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Lotus makes an incredible track car, there's no doubt about that.

That being said, :gtfo:

9. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Like the mustang, I'm sure, the maxima did really well. I passed everyone there and tailed a 390 RWHP supra with coilovers and 10" tires the entire time...Next time I go to MSR I'll bring my E36, though:o. If it's running. :o And driver mod > anything out there.

At least the mustang sounds good :dunno:

10. CJPA

CJPA New Member

supermod thread title edit :noes:

11. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I want to see who else in this forum does this. :noes:

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This proves nothing. Tractor trailers can turn corners too, they just have to slow down a lot.

13. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were pictures from the first day and the first two sessions of my very first HPDE @ VIR full course. Then I had a booboo :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(

[​IMG]

I got bit by the snake.

I apexed 5a PERFECT and set up 6 great for 6a and the little left before the straight, and right after turn 6, I started to throttle down in 3rd gear. I was going wide open through 6a and the little left, and apparently either I hit a wet spot, hit the curbing/gator, dunno, but the ass end came around and I was wide open in third, I oversteered to see if I could correct but it came around wayyy to fast and I knew that I was along for the ride at that point, so I stuck both feet in and prayed that I didnt hit the guardrail.

Well, Raceflais doesnt like me apparently, so he sent me into the guardrail. I hit it with the front passenger side of the bumper first (as you can see by the missing chunk of bumper cover AND bumper, and my front NO TURNS plate is missing as well and thats apparently still at the track with the rest of the shit), and then that spun me even harder and I thwacked the rear bumper and cracked a taillight and put a nice scuff int he rear bumper cover.

14. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

^^damn! Did you ever get it fixed?

And in light of the thread title change, I guess I'll contribute. But nobody took any good pictures like that of me :(

Here's the supra and I about to pass a 911 (yes, the 911 driver was an idiot...)
    [​IMG]

Still hangin' with the supra:
    [​IMG]

In the background you can still see me tailing him:
    [​IMG]

And Here's the supra:
    [​IMG]

Even though I didn't have the best car there, it was still a very good experience for me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'm definitely looking forward to getting a track/project car once I graduate.

15. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Eat a dick faggot. Even stock my fucking American POS would school your shitbox Passat in the turns.

16. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Non-ricer Supras FTMFW

17. CJPA

CJPA New Member

18. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Thats really depressing. I remember that car from here because of the plate.

19. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

I always liked how those wheels looked on that car :sadwavey:

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No sense of humor.

21. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Your constant idiotic blathering has worn down my tolerance for your posts. :dunno:

22. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Yeah, I didnt get it aligned until the morning before I went to VIR.

Luckily for me, my dads best friend for like 40 years has been a body man all his life and has a frame machine in his home garage. NOTHING rearward of the shock towers was bent, just the frame in front of it. The suspension is fine, motor is fine (need a new radiator), tranny, rear end, etc. are all fine. I actually drove it around the paddock to load it up on a flatbed to tow me a little closer to home (after i pulled the fender off the jank). He's gonna charge be $600 to get it all straight and possibly weld a new core support on if he cant fix that (some of the sheetmetal ripped inside). I just bought new fenders, front bumper with headlight bracket, and a hood today for $100, and I'm getting a whole set of lights for free from a friend.

I'm hoping to be back at VIR at the July NASA event.

Yeah, that plate is still at VIR near the guardrail :hs: I completely forgot to get it until I got home, and its a 4 hour trip one way to get there. Its ok though, my plates were expired anyway :)

Yeah, they definitely made the car.

23. CJPA

CJPA New Member

VIR seems to be like Kryptonite for Mustang-Driving NASA noobs :hs:
    I think a guy on TheMustangSource cracked his S197 up in that same set of turns :eek4:

At least you've got the connections to put the car back in action w/o much stress.

So as a driver--what will you watch out for in your next on-track session to avoid such occurrences?

Also: Did people :mamoru: about your plate afterwards? :o

24. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Water. :hs: I will not be going in the wet at all.

Other than that, just being more smooth and not leaning into the turns. My instructor noticed that I did that, and told me not to. I also need to work on my consistency with the lines. I blew turn 5 a couple times, then I started getting it down, then I blew it again.

I didnt really get to test out the cars braking capeabilitys because it was wet so I ALWAYS broke early as I know that they like to lock up when its wet.

I need to get more smooth, get my lines down a little bit better, and just start going faster I guess. More throttle earlier, braking later, etc.

And yeah, I also have a "I'd rather be drag racing" lisence plate frame on the rear, and one of my friends said "Man, you cant BUY that kind of irony" a few minutes after I wrecked it and stopped feeling so bad haha.

One of the corner workers for the station nearest that turn is on a local forum I'm on, and apparently 3 other mustangs and a CTSV all spun at the exact same spot I did on Sunday too.

My instructor actually scored me great on almost all of the driving things in the NASA scorebook, the only thing I got bad on was braking just because we couldnt really test them, and seatbelts because they suck. I picked up the line really quick and I think there were a few turns where I was still learning how to explore the limits of the line better. It was great because he is also a mustang driver, and owns a couple foxes and a couple 03 Cobra's that he drives (one of my friends is also an instructor and when I told him who my instructor was he said "he's fucking fast.") and he told me what turns to watch out for and taught me right off the bat to use every inch of available track. I was on the gators my second session out on alot of the turns.

The second and third sessions on Saturday were pretty dry out, and those were soooooo much fun. I actually got to pick up some speed int he corners and start hauling ass and actually have alot of fun.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  25. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

omg i got a pm :eek5:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]