MIL Officers and Combat

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Militant, Dec 24, 2007.

1. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I am pretty much getting ready to set everything in motion to be an officer for the army. I enlisted, am graduating HS early in 3/4 weeks to go to basic and will be back from AIT in time for college in the fall.

I have always wanted to join the military for various reasons and decided if I could get up on some ranks, make more money and get some free college why not.

What I made this topic for was asking what paths I can take so that I won't be stuck behind a desk once I am out of college as an officer, or even if there are ways to do it. I'm not here thinking I'm rambo and will run into the middle east shooting hundreds of taliban but I'd rather not be back at HQ the entire time I'm deployed.

I know being an officer and all they don't want to send them into combat as quickly as they would an infantry pfc but i'm sure you guys get the point.

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

this is gonna be a tough one ....

3. Infantry, Engineer if you get Combat Engineer, Armor...

edit: artillery

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  4. Asherman

Asherman New Member

If you want to make the military a career, and retire at the highest rank possible, then you will need to command an infantry company early in your career. Get your commission and specify infantry. You will probably then be assigned to as a Second Lieutenant to a rifle platoon. The guy who really runs the show is the ranking non-com, but officially you da man. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open while learning the ropes of commanding men in difficult situations. As the junior officer you will be given a whole bunch of duties that no one else with more rank will do willingly. As far as the Army is concerned almost any of the veteran G.I.s is more important to the mission than you will be, but you learn to live with it. Your Sergeant will handle the men, and often its better that you don't "officially" know everything that's going on. You didn't actually hear pvt. Schmuk call the Captain an asshole, did you? Leave those matters to the non-coms, and concentrate on learning how to accomplish whatever mission you are assigned, and keeping your soldiers safe and well supplied.

That is really the proper focus, the mission and the troops. To maximize both, there is never, ever an end to training for you or your soldiers. You and your troops have to be prepared to correctly respond to any challenge that might occur in combat. Essential solider skills for everyone have to be automatic and unquestioned for the group to avoid unnecessary casualties while achieving difficult missions. As an officer you need to be able to match the physical readiness of your troops, and provide an example of what being a part of the US Army is supposed to be. Duty, Honor, Country.

5. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

must have ripped that off the IOBC website or something :rofl:

Why are you going to AIT? Are you in the guard/reserves? Do you understand that you can be deployed before you finish college as a Joe unless you have some sort of rotc contract?

Theres alot of different paths that you can take, but dont forget that even Infantry officers are sometimes stuck in the FOB doing garbage work. Needs of the Army brother. You can go Field Artillery, Armor, Infantry, Engineer, MP, and probably spend alot of time outside the wire i imagine.

6. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I'm doing the SMP program. I enlisted both understanding and in some ways expecting that I may be deployed. I mean it is war time... lol. I also made sure you can opt out of ROTC contracts just in case my unit gets deployed. Yes, it is awesome being a higher rank and such but I'd rather have the ability to say I went somewhere than just my drill weekends and military science classes before I start telling people what to do.

I know some of these may be long shots but anything I've gotten done thus far has been by setting goals. Can you be an officer and special forces? or any of the other more combat related jobs like a ranger or something. I'm just looking for a decent path to take so I will end up with paper work 8 years out of college rather 2 months.

MumblingJoe169: How is Fort Sill? I have to go back up to MEPS to get my ship date moved up but thats where I'm headed for basic as of now.

7. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead OT Supporter

8. Yes you can be either Ranger or SF as an officer. Team leaders are often times Captains for SF. You can go to Ranger school and get assigned to a ranger bat if you are lucky/good enough. Also anyone can go to SF try outs, but if you got what it takes you might get the long tab.

9. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

Interesting. I'll look into that further down the road. I have a few things to accomplish before I start looking that far ahead. Thanks for the info

10. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

You people are funny. "must be combat arms to achieve high rank"...I guess you've never heard of the pyramid and inverted pyramid scheme of combat and CSS branches. Other wise you'd know A LOT of combat arms officers re branch to CS CSS branches to rank up.

11. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

*cough* air national guard *cough*

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

Why do you feel the need to justify yourself to others by doing things like deploying and enlisting before becoming an officer? No one cares what you did prior to your commission as long as you are a good officer. are all prior service officers great leaders? Not really. It just gives you the core soldier skills you will learn eventually as well as a general understanding of how the army works. Enlisting does help on your OMLs but deploying will only be something for you to talk about. Forgo Basic until you get a guaranteed contract from ROTC. I know a couple of cadets in my school who also got the opportunity to go to jump school right after. I went down the route you took and believe me it was not an easy one. IF you already planned the officer route, then you are just wasting your time at AIT. you will have plenty of certification schooling to go through as an officer. As for a profession which keeps you out and about, a combat arms MOS will get you where you want to be. also you are wrong about them not sending officers out into combat as quickly as they would a PFC. Officers are out with the patrols all the time and we always lead from the front.

13. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

Mainly it's plan B. While I am confident that I can reach my goals of college, ROTC and all of that none of it is set in stone yet. I will not hear from any colleges till next month. I also made my decision to enlist months ago and realized that if I waited till next year alot could of happened within that time frame and I would rather have something to fall back on.

I also think it would be good for me to have some deployment if I want to be an officer. Not because I think it will automatically make me a good officer but because I can probably learn a lot, and if I apply what I learn it will no doubt make me a better officer. It's also the reason I joined the military and have always wanted to. The stories, situations and things soldiers have had to endure both good and bad have always intrigued me. I have my entire life to work and would rather add something to the mix other than work and school.

As for this Combat Arms MOS, I was under the impression that once you where commissioned you chose a branch rather than a specific MOS.

14. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

We've got new terms in the Army. :o Operational Support - can't remember all the other ones. :o :o

15. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Maneuvers, Fires, and Effects :o

isnt there a new one for logisticians?

16. kazimer

kazimer New Member

To the threadstarter:

you will end up behind a desk if you are an army officer. and it also involves alot of luck to end up as a 2LT in a unit that needs a platoon leader. if not then your first job could be staff..and depending on how many new guys they receive you could be pushed out of your platoon as early as 4 months.

i have heard that Armor (tankers) usually has the longest platoon leader time (up to 2 years)

17. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

enlisting dosn't mean you will see combat either....

being an officer, go Infantry, go ranger, go pl, then go scouts pl...

18. kazimer

kazimer New Member

you dont just "go platoon leader" in anything. its all about timing and luck. if you arrive in a unit that is already full strength, you will find your ass on a battalion staff..next thing you know you are a 1LT and then its time for XO...goodbye pl time