GUN Officer faces allegation he let students handle gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Officer faces allegation he let students handle gun
    By JOHN DIEDRICH
    [email protected]
    Posted: Jan. 16, 2008

A Milwaukee police officer is being investigated over an allegation that he let students handle his unloaded gun in a class at Whitnall High School this week, officials said Wednesday.

The off-duty officer, who was not identified, was speaking to a social studies class on Monday and allowed students to handle his unloaded police gun, according to two school board members. Both said they were told an unloaded gun has been passed around in the past.

Whitnall School Board President Julie Scheibe, who didn't know about the incident until a reporter contacted her Wednesday, said she hadn't talked to the teacher and social studies department chair, Brian Van Buren, but it needed to be reviewed.

"I think it is something that needs to be looked into, and I am glad Milwaukee police are doing that," she said. "First and foremost is the safety of our students and anyone in the classroom. 'Crime in America' is an important class but it obviously needs to be done in a safe way."
    District investigating

Van Buren, Whitnall principal Joel Eul and district superintendent Karen Petric did not return repeated phone calls Wednesday.

At the end of the day, Petric sent a one-line e-mail indicating the district is looking into the matter.

Anne E. Schwartz, Milwaukee police spokeswoman, confirmed an officer spoke at the school Monday, and that officials are reviewing a number of allegations. She said the officer, a 52-year-old who has been on the force 22 years, has not been suspended.

Speaking in general about firearm safety and not about this case, Schwartz said new officers are taught never to give up their weapons.

:noes: he let the kids handle his unloaded weapon someone could of been killed. :eek4:

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

3. johnson

johnson New Member

"But what if he shot ya in the face?"

4. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats how people get....their hands pinched in the slide?

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

omg what if one of the kids had a bullet for the gun??? :noes:

7. bummerkit

bummerkit New Member

atleast he didnt shoot himself in the leg...

8. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

uhoh what if the kid pulled out his ammo!!!!

9. CString

CString New Member

we were willing to take that chance

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]

This kid has one of those shoulder things that goes up :run:
    after touching that awful gun its going to make him want to massacre his whole school :noes:

11. johnson

johnson New Member

that was a chance we were willing to take :squint:

12. CString

CString New Member

:o oops. haven't watched it in like 2 years.

13. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

My God, has this country gone completely out of control. Is there ANY safer way to teach a student about a gun then to have a DAMN POLICE OFFICER do it with an UNLOADED weapon?

My God, who are these idiots that are running this country and educating out kids to grow up into more assinine idiots?

If this officer is not qualified to let kids handle an unloaded firearm, then dont tell me that I cant have a gun and have to wait for this apparently unqualified guy to come and protect me when I need it.

Un fucking believable.

Not to side track, but its the same bullshit that was on the local news the other night. There was a "special report" piece on how the DC police are never there to help when they are really needed. They played the tape of a lady that had called 911 SIX TIMES with an emergency and the police still hadnt arrived.

In the same breath they are saying that the gun ban needs to stay in effect cause you dont need to protect yourself, that is what the police are for.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

i got to handle a SAW during ROTC @ U of Iowa (i never joined military, just the class as a civillian)

16. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I got hit with brass from a M240 when I was shooting video at Ft Irwin :mamoru:

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

kids touching guns = crime. it's pretty easy to understand if you think about it :dunno:

18. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

The issue here seems not to be about the kids handling an unloaded weapon so much as it is the officer violating police protocol with regards to issue weapons and professional conduct.

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

oh I don't doubt it's something like that, but you have to admit, from the article it sounds like the children are lucky to be alive.

20. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I agree, but has all common sense completely escaped this entire country at this point. He's an officer, he was talking at a school, I'm sure he didnt go "hey look at my gun kids want to play with it" and was likely actually showing them how to use it and how to be safe with it. Policy is there for a reason so folks dont do stupid things. This hardly seems to be a case like that. The fact they have to write a story about it shows how crazy the country is with things like this. The department could easily say its not their policy to do something like this, but they feel the officer was not being careless and the issue doesnt ened to be covered in the paper like he was some whack job enticing kids to become violent criminals.

21. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

i don't understand what's "safer" than an unloaded weapon supervised by a police officer

unless he wasn't professional enough

22. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I don't understand why High School kids should be passing around a weapon, period. Like it or not, some parents don't want their children handling firearms, and others should respect that.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

We need to get rid of this government run schooling concept but thats a whole different matter. Besides they're high school kids, we let them drive. If tommy goes to school and touches the cops gun when he knows you won't want him to, don't get mad at the cop. Punish the crap out of your kid for being a young adult and doing something he should have known better than to do.

Does it matter what the reason was? I thought the reason we put cops in schools talking to kids was to help them build a positive relationship with the police and see them less as adversaries. If this cop can do that by spending 10 minutes talking about guns and letting them see his while not coming off as mr hardass "you will respect my authoritah and not touch my gun" I think thats probably a good thing.

24. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

on the other hand some parents might want their kids handling guns

what i'm saying is that if the kids are smart enough, they can make up their own mind whether they want to touch an unloaded weapon or not

i agree he shouldn't have let anyone touch his gun however this article is full on anti gun hysteria of the kind that's always in the liberal media

25. t1h

t1h Guest

where's the fucking problem? it was unloaded