MIL Officer calling at ease for the 1SG?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drunk Bastard Audio, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Just curious, is it in the Army regulation for a 2LT/1LT to call a room to "at ease" when the 1SG enters for the 1st time that day? I understand that the Soldier who sees the 1SG first will call the room to "at ease"...but today, one of our butter bars got yelled at by the 1SG because she didn't call the room to "at ease". Being prior enlisted, I was brought up as you don't call the room to any position as an officer, unless your Company Commander or FGO enters the room, then you call the room to "Attention". I can't really find a definitive answer in FM 7-21.13 other then:
    "When an NCO of superior rank enters the room, the first soldier to
    recognize the NCO calls the room to “At ease.” "

But it goes on to separate a "Soldier" and "Officer" when referring to whom does what.

I'm currently looking in FM 3-21.5 but it's taking forever to download. So do any of you squared away NCO's or fellow Officer's know the answer to this riddle?

Gracias.

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I'm not Army but unless something is drastically different between AF & Army regs in this situation, that is a "WTF is the first sgt thinking" incident.

3. Julius

Julius Guest

I was always under the impression that "first soldier" would be the first enlisted person to see the ranking NCO enter the room.

4. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

There is no reason why an officer should call at ease for an enlisted. The officer out ranks the enlisted and it si disrespectful to the officer. An order is usually only given when someone higher enters the rooms.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

i concur w/ this being a "wtf" situation w/ the 1SG....but I'd like to call her out on the situation w/ a regulation.

6. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

That is the first time in my life I have ever heard of something like this happening in the Military.

7. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I'm glad I'm AF. We don't even call the room to attention for my squadron COMMANDER!

8. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

what does that even mean, is the room already at attention and they give them at ease? But really that LT should have asked to talk to the Sgt in private and let them know they were wrong.

9. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

lol, this reminds me of when I was a butter bar, and the BN CSM got mad cuz I didn't call the room to at ease or get out of my chair for him when he came in. He didn't even talk to me, he went through my PSG. I told him to get that shit outta here.
    He came back a week later and wouldn't even enter my office just opened the door and waved for the PSG.

Regulation states that you aren't even supposed to call at ease when there is an officer in the room already.
    So that 1SG is ate up. Period. But yes I understand the curtesy that is extended to the CO/1SG enters the company.

Sounds like he's trying to punk the LT.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  10. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

As an officer, I can say from experience it happens a lot. It's kinda like a test to see what kinda backbone you have. At least this is how I've interpreted it.

11. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

PS: DBA please square away your LT. Also, I think you may find more info on this in the NCO Guidebook.

12. Pusan

Pusan New Member

I remember in Iraq we had the assistant commandants entourage come in our little 20x20 office to talk to the 6 Marines of my team and my sgt was stuck at the door when a Major walked in followed by a Lt Col, Col, One star, two star, three star, four star. It was like they knew what they were doing, my sgt was stuck at attention going "Attention on Deck!" "Attention on Deck!" "Attention on Deck!"

Meanwhile I was next to the door sitting playing xbox chewing gum in an unzipped flight suit, I never got up so fast.

They were cool as shit though, gave me a coin since according to him we did the job noone else wants to do.

13. burton564

burton564 New Member

myself and one of our CW5s walked into an office somewhere, and some E-6 called attention. I felt sorry for him, my CW5 pulled him into another room and chewed his ass for a good 10 minutes.

14. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:rofl::rofl:
    that sucks..maybe he was awed by the sight of a CW5. I have only crossed paths with one in my career and he was cool as shit

15. kazimer

kazimer New Member

i am so glad i started my career out in Division Staff. I quickly learned to not be bullied or intimidated by ranks of anyone

now its hard for me to not treat my Battalion commander like a dirt bag...when i was div protocol :mamoru:....we didnt care about anyone that was below O-6

16. Drunk Bastard Audio

I'm trying to square her away, but I want to be able to flop a published reg in the 1SG's face if she cops an attitude, which is the norm of her around the butterbar's. Sad part is, the Company CDR allows it to occur, so only me and 2 other LT's have the nerve to say something to the 1SG, even if it's followed by an ass chewing from our Company CDR.

17. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

What type of unit are you in?

18. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

Thank fuck the only officers we have are agents and in civilian clothes. :o

19. Drunk Bastard Audio

Distro company headed up by a QM

20. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

OSI :noes:

21. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

officer should have not done a damn thing and his PSG should have stuck up for him.

22. Drunk Bastard Audio

lol, that's the funny thing, the LT is a she, and she works in the CP in a made up position. Still, the 1SG is wrong and i'm calling her out on it...but it would be more fruitful if I had a reg to throw on her desk.

23. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

See you later OT. I've seen enough :io:

24. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You are in a shitty unit that lacks discipline.

25. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

If you want to see lack of discipline lets not even get started on the Navy ..

Usually only person that gets an attention on deck is the CO or visiting/embarked O6 & above. And even then it depends on how the person is, some don't like it and it only lasts their first week at a command. Both ships I've been on we've never done it.. I've visited a frigate though that called attention on deck whenever the CO was spotted it was pretty annoying.

And wtf kind of enlisted person even beings to argue with an officer. Doesn't matter if you're a 29 year E9, a just commissioned ensign straight out of college out ranks you.