Office VPN Headaches. Maybe I should use a VM?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 15, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My office has a SonicWALL SSL VPN 200 and a Fortinet FortiGate 100A. The first is a dedicated SSL VPN box, and it's reliable, but it's too slow. The second is a firewall/router/VPN, and it's fast, but connectivity is spotty and the routing tables needed to connect the VPN to five subnets (some of which are on the other sides of their own VPNs) make my head spin. It's pretty clear that for simplicity's sake, I need a dedicated VPN box, but I need something fast too -- and preferably something that doesn't require keeping a browser window open to support the SSL encryption.

I was thinking maybe I could grab a VMware virtual appliance and test that too, but that opens up a whole new can of worms, in that there's about 20 of them and I can't set up 20 damn VPNs just to see which one's good. Then again, maybe I'm better off getting a hardware box, but that's what the SonicWALL is, and it's slow too.

Can anybody recommend a VPN solution they've used before, that can connect to LDAP for user logins, can support at least 20 users without bogging down, and can sustain at least 512kB/s throughput per user? I'm getting near the end of my rope with this project.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nothing, huh?