Office Furniture

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekDragon, Jan 3, 2005.

1. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Me and my fiance are moving into a town house this summer. We're splurging on furniture. Just got a king size bedroom set and a nice dining room set. Next on the list is office furniture.

[​IMG]

So far this is our favorite design we've seen. We figured we could get 2 of them, put them side by side against a wall (so that the PC's are angled away from each other, not towards), and have plenty of room for both of us, and we could put a standing lamp in between them.

We haven't seen much else we liked but we really don't know what to look for. I figured i'd make a thread here to find in on:

1. The things I should look for in buying a computer workstation
    2. Websites that offer good selections and quality products
    3. Stores I should go look at

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I had to work on a computer once in a desk like that. It was a major pain in the ASS to get the computer in and out of that little hole its in. Plus, having the monitor up high like that isn't good for your neck.

3. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Noted on both accounts, thank you.

You have any desks to recomend?

4. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Go for an executive style desk with lots of tabletop space. That's what I've always wanted anyways.

5. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

I looked at a few, and I liked :) But it might be hard to get 2 of them that look good together. Not to mention it'd be very expensive as the average execs go for 1k apeice.

But she did spend 4k on the bedroom set, so maybe I can convince her.

6. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

I know some of you guys have l33t office furniture. Hook me up w the info!

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

All a matter of preference, budget...

For value, the Staples Z-line L-desk is the best value for desk area. 60-80 bucks for decent desk.

You can move up to the bush series for pseudo office furniture, it looks like professional office furniture, but the quality isn't there.

Or you can get top of the line Herman Miller stuff for a few K.

Your best bet is to hit the used office furniture stores. If you like exec desks and chairs, they have used stuff in okay condition for cheap. Or you can goto High Point, NC to get good new furniture at good prices as well.

I myself am furnishing my home just recently bought an office desk. I cannot stand executive desks, I need something more cubicle like, something more efficient, modular. I finally opted for the Ikea Galant series. I know Ikea makes crap, but this series is pretty durable. The frame is very durable, durable enough for me (190 lb) to stand on the MIDDLE table until someone told me to get off. This was my selling point. The desk itself is still made of cheap compressed wood, but the frame was sturdier than anything else that Staples/Officemax/OfficeDepot sells at that triple the price. Ultra-configurable too.

I bought a 6 ft. x 11ft L desk for $350. This doesn't come with storage though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I much prefer a long and deep, flat desk.

9. red89gt

red89gt OT Supporter

My only concern with that desk is that its lacking on storage space as it only has the 3 draw cabnet and those little cubby holes below the monitor. I find that my desk is always getting covered in stuff as I dont have anywhere to put all my documents, paper etc

10. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Ok, we've made a tentative decision to go with Bush Furniture after reading some comments about the problems with O'Sullivan, and the comments on Bush's quality.

Here's what we're thinking:

Two of these desks:
    [​IMG]

2-3 of these bookshelves:
    [​IMG]

And one of these, with a bookshelf attachment on top, that matches the other bookshelves on height and style:
    [​IMG]

11. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Looks good, love the color