Office 2007 vs. Adobe Acrobat Pro v8?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

So I didn't realize that Acrobat Pro 8 wouldn't integrate with Office 07..

Anyone else notice this? Anyone know of a work around? I need this. Badly. So much so that I may downgrade back to Office 03..

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

How do you mean doesn't integrate - doesn't put a button at the top? Or are you using it more than just the basic, print it to PDF?

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If you are just making PDF's you can still print to the Acrobat Distiller from office 2007. From there acrobat should open the document and you can do whatever you need to.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Give Adobe a couple of months to develop a DLL that will patch itself into Office 2007.

Wait...has Office 2007 even been released as a non-testing build yet? If it's still in beta, you can't complain if it doesn't play nice with every other piece of software on your computer.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is the way I generate all my PDFs. Distiller gives me far more control over the quality settings, and I have the settings just the way I like them, packaged into a ".joboptions" file that I can copy from machine to machine instead of manually reprogramming each copy of Acrobat to make PDFs the way I want them.

6. DatacomGuy

Right now I have Acrobat 8 installed.. I send all my word and excel attachments in PDF for copywrite reasons. When I had office 03 installed, I clicked the add-on toolbar in the new message window through outlook, and it would save the document as a PDF and attach it. Now this doesn't exist. Now to attach as a PDF, I have to open excel/word/whatever, print to PDF using the Adobe printer driver, then save it, then open a new email, then attach it. Adds 2 minutes to my process and although that sounds like its not worth complaining about - trust me, it is.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Its final and available on MSDN and Technet. I don't know when it'll be out to the general public.

8. DatacomGuy

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, you can cut down that time a bit by just right-click print on the document instead of opening it in [excel, word, etc] first.

I guess one person's bug is another person's bug-fix. I HATE the Office toolbar addins for Acrobat. You can't get rid of them (they try to put themselves back) without hacking out the actual add-in files and they fuck up any customizations to the toolbar in Visio 2003 by resetting it back to the default toolset every time you launch Visio. They also have a tendency to not stay where you put them but try to add themselves to a new line in the toolbar. One line for two freaking buttons! ARGH! I had hoped they would fix that crap in 8 but I guess not. At least at home I don't have to put up with it anymore (Yeah Office 2007!).

Personally if they never fix it, I'll be more than happy. I get where you are coming from though.

As mdaniel said the gold media is available on MSDN and the product will release to corporate accounts on Nov. 30th then to consumers in early January (Office 2007 release dates are sync'ed with Vista release dates).

10. DatacomGuy

I also hate many things about the toolbar addins.. I share the same annoyances as you, but in the same sentance I can't say I could live without them. :hs:

11. redrumkev

redrumkev New Member

Can you wait until lunch to run a large batch of files. You can set them up to que and run, then when you get back, e-mail them out?

I have Acrobat 7, downloaded the trial of 8 to see if I would use it and deleted it within 15 minutes! Maybe I will upgrade to version 9?

12. DatacomGuy

Batch really isn't an option for me. These are typically quotes I'm doing for engineers, etc who need them faster then I can type them up..

13. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

in beta2tr of office 2007, there is an official MS addon that you can download that adds exporting to PDF. I would assume it is the same way in the final version.

14. DatacomGuy

Addon not found.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member