Office 2000 help, files wont open after format

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by levit, Dec 13, 2007.

1. levit

levit buy the ticket, take the ride.

The quick and simple of it.

I formatted my HD and reinstalled XP and Office 2000. I saved all my word/excel files onto my secondary HD. I then went to Microsoft's website and updated Office 2000 so everything is current/good.

I am trying to open some word/excel files that I saved and they wont. When I try to open the excel file it says "Unable to read file." and I click OK and it closes. When I try to open some word docs it just shows up as tiny boxes in the word document instead of text.

Here's the weird part, SOME of my word/excel files on the same HD do open properly. Why do some work and some don't? Is this an easy fix, am I fucked, can the information be saved?

Any help is appreciated.

2. levit

levit buy the ticket, take the ride.

Mini update.

I downloaded openoffice to see if it could open things. It works, stuff opens, but when I open the excel docs the tabs are labled but there is no data, and the word docs show up as ## instead of text.

Files corrupted? Any way to recover stuff? I don't understand how this could have happened when it was on a completely different HD than I was formatting.