COMIC Off-Topic... Football. :D

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kazmont, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Dunno if anyone here is interested in NFL or College football, but me and some of my friends have a Pickem set up for both pro and college. Its just for fun.

We use Yahoo Sports to manage it.

They both use the spread to determin winners. The pro pickem also uses confidence points system. If anyone wants in, just PM me with a yahoo email address and which one or both pickems you want in and ill send the invite. If you want more information, just ask here and I can give answers incase anyone wants the info too.

:bigthumb:

2. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

details so wat is this? im in to both types of football

3. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Well, basically, they are done the same way. Each week All the pro games and the most of the AP top 25 games are listed as matchups. Ill use the Eagles and Cowboys for my examples.

One team is going to be favored over the other to win. Depending on how the week goes (injuries during pracitce, etc), the spread can change from day to day. It shows the spread on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It wont change after Wednesday. So for example. Lets say that the Eagles are playing against the Cowboys. The Eagles are favored to win by a 6 point spread. You pick the Eagles to win and cover the spread, which means they have to win by at least 7 points. If they ONLY win by 6 then its called a push and no one gets any points. If they win by less than 6 points or the Cowboys win, then whoever picked the Cowboys would get the point.

The college side is done the same way.

The only difference is in the NFL pickem, I use confidence points. Basically, thats exactly what they are, extra points you get for being confident about you pick. The amount of confidence points available depend on the amount of games being played that week. Most weeks, it will be 1-14 due to bye weeks. Some weeks will have up to 16 and some will have less. You can only choose one confidence point per selection. You have to rank all of your picks.

Again, Cowboys vs Eagles example. Also, this is going to be a standard midseason week with 4 of the 32 teams having a bye. That means there are only 14 games being played. So you have 1-14 confidence points. You have picked the Eagles and you know without a shadow of a doubt that the Eagles are going to completely crush the Cowboys. You would choose 14 for the confidence points. If you were right, your total point value would be 15 for that pick. 1 for a correct pick and 14 for the confidence. If you werent real sure that the Eagles could beat the Cowboys, then you would adjust your confidence in them accordingly.

It sounds slightly complicated but its really not. As long as you have a basic understanding of football and the spread, its pretty easy. Its a lot of fun and it actually makes watching football more fun because you have something at stake.

4. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

So basically we get to pretend to be John Anthony?

5. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

lol... Its just something fun to do over the season. :)

6. Bobbot

Does this require a lot of knowledge about this "football" sport? If not, does this require some attentive discipline, i.e. more than 10 minutes a day? If not, I'm in!

7. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

lol... yes, it would indeed if you wanna take it seriously.

8. Bobbot

...out :wtc:

9. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

i would be kinda in but i dont have cable so i cant watch all the games

10. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

All the game are on network except the monday night games... and the game on the NFL Netork... i need to get that.
    But yeah, you should be able to catch the games on Fox, NBC, and CBS.
    And technically, you dont have to watch them... just check out scores and highlights from places like sportsline or yahoo, etc. At any rate, its up to you guys. :)