Off-hours work that is 90% waiting and 10% work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike99TA, May 4, 2008.

1. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Anyone else have to deal with this as often as I do?

I'm upgrading an Oracle database server running SLES 10 to SP1 which takes...oh maybe 15 minutes. Except its running a 400GB database which has to be backed up prior to the upgrade "just in case". So... because our OS full weekly backups are all going on right now and we have very strict maintenance windows on our production servers forcing me to do this maintenance at this exact moment in time, this backup has been taking something like 3 1/2 hours so far with ~1 hour left to go.

Lame, but at least I'm working from home.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would start it, leave, come back and finish.

3. Mike99TA

Thats...what I'm doing. Except I still can't go to bed or anything until its done.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

meh, I don't go to bed until at least 2am, normally. Yesterday I was up later, and the day before that I was up till 6am, lol.

eat a pizza. watch a movie. run on a treadmil. jack off. take a shower. ride a bike. have a beer. talk on the phone. text drunk bitches. start a war. just go do something.

5. Mike99TA

I have a real job with real work hours and a 2 year old daughter that doesn't factor what time I went to bed last night into when she decides to wake me up. If I want to get any reasonable amount of sleep I have to go to bed at a decent time.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

thats why i wear condoms. :o

7. Mike99TA

I'm going to guess between this thread and the other thread that you're <21 anyway, not married, and probably working tech support job that lets you work pretty much any shift you want because its 24x7.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Remind me to laugh at the importance of that when my child support finishes up in a few years.

:o

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

22 (23 in july)
    not married (do have a gf)
    i own my own wholesale business

I actually work a LOT of hours, but save for a few exceptions, I generally get to do it on my own schedule... And most of it can be done from home.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'll go ahead and laugh at it right now.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

WTF? I'm older than you?

Suddenly things make more sense...

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you must be upset that you're older and still haven't had sex :mamoru:

how the fuck haven't you known that you were older? I've stated my age several times in the past.

Also in this field, there is very little (if any) correlation between age and knowledge.

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Mike99TA, haven't you realized by now that the only time worth spending talking to pothead is when you just want to harass him because he's a jackass?

As far as your original post goes, that drives me up a wall as well. For a 400Gb database though, I'd always try to get it on some sort of split mirror backup configuration. My first preference would be something built into the array like EMC's BCVs or clones or HDS's Shadow Image, but in a pinch, the volume manager's own replication works. I know VxVM has something that many people use for backups as well as HP's LVM. In that case, sync copies earlier, so when you are ready to do your work you can just split it and have your backup there for quick restore. Heck, I think anyone who has some sort of replication technology has some sort of copy-on-write snapshot technology as well so you don't have to have a ton of extra disk going to waste.

14. Mike99TA

Funny you should mention that. The whole maintenance was to upgrade the OS on this server to SLES10SP1 in preparation for a Storage Foundation 4.1MP4 installation. Right now the DB volumes are on Linux LVM.

We're actually putting SF on the system so we can move the database to our homegrown online backup solution involving BC/CA. However, at this point, the system has 30 20GB luns secured to it... even though the backup took awhile, allocating out 30 more 20GB luns, setting up the horcm files, establishing the BCs, etc, would have taken a lot longer.

Once SF4.1MP4 is installed we will be allocating 90 additional LUNs for the system (30 for Business copy on same array, 30 for CA on separate array, 30 more for BC on separate array) which we will use for hot backup purposes as well as sending the DB data to 2 different tape libraries directly via SAN without any network bottleneck.

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hehe, i keep forgetting you are an XP guy. i actually had to look up online which was BC and which was CA. i always get trucopy and shadow image mixed up.

16. Mike99TA

Yeah almost all my experience is with HP/Hitachi Arrays which all use the BC/CA terminology to my knowledge. (even the EVAs though our experimentation with EVA CA was a complete bust so we don't use it).

New lease replacement coming up on our XPs this year though so who knows what we'll end up with. We had EMC awhile back (long before I worked here) which supposedly use similar functions to the BC/CA (might even be called the same thing, not sure). More than likely we'll end up with EMC or HP/Hitachi again.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

EMC is a bit different from HDS storage, especially if you are talking the DMX line. After working on the HDS and the EMC storage, I really prefer HDS though I think that EMC is ahead on array to array replication.

18. Mike99TA

You sure? The Continuous access we use for array<->array replication is pretty bullet proof. We've been using it over a 150km fiber link for years now and haven't had any issues (stability or performance) at all - I'd say its pretty darn good.

HP even told us it was only specced to work to 100km but it seems to work fine at 150 ;). Now the EVA CA on the other hand chokes horribly over the same link so...yeah...

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'm not saying that CA is bad. SRDF is just further ahead with some of the options that they offer. at my last job, they were replicating a few databases all over the country between Seattle, Atlanta and Tampa using SRDF. i had nothing to do with it because it was on a different side of the corporation, but i don't think that HDS's replication could do anything to that extent.

20. Mike99TA

Nice - I think in asynchronous mode it might be possible (not sure how much caching there is on the XPs for CA/BC). We use synchronous mode for our CA and BC LUNs as its required to get clean splits for online database backups so its not an option for us - we're probably pushing the limit right now.

It'll be interesting to see whats different if we do end up with EMC this year. The last time they used EMC at my company was around 9 years ago and things are a lot different now.

21. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

if i have to work from home and there's some idle time, i do something else.

if i have to be onsite, i do other work... mostly catching up on documentation.