GUN Off-duty officer accused of killing one, wounding another in fight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by XR250rdr, Mar 13, 2008.

1. XR250rdr

XR250rdr Active Member OT Supporter

Mar 1, 2004
    A Costa Mesa officer was in an altercation in Temecula this weekend.

Comments 140 | Recommend 37
    An off-duty Costa Mesa police officer is accused of shooting two people, including one who died, during a fight Saturday in Temecula, police said today.
    Costa Mesa Police and Riverside County Sheriff's department officials today declined to release the names of the officer and the two people who were shot pending an investigation and notification of relatives.
    Sgt. Stephanie Selinske of the Costa Mesa Police Department said the officer was hospitalized for injuries from the altercation. He was released and resting at home today, Selinske said. She said she was unsure if the officer would be placed on leave or how her department would proceed.
    About 7:20 p.m., officers responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon in Old Town Temecula after an altercation began in a nearby restaurant, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. Deputies found two people had gunshot wounds. The two were taken to the hospital, where one person died.
    Deputies learned the Costa Mesa officer had fired the shots, according to the sheriff's department.

Followup Articles:

No I'm not squiddy :o
  2. johan

johan Active Member

Nov 4, 2003
    A good shoot based on the followup articles.
  3. johnson

johnson New Member

Nov 21, 2003

I'm sorry...but I'd like to say a little more about your comment.

You say that Shaun and my friends were stirring things up...the officer inappropriately touched a woman at the bar and Shaun defended her. How is it that Shaun started this? If an incident happens inside and the officer waits for Shaun outside..does that constitute self defense? Couldn't the officer and his friends left the scene? They are trained to avoid confrontations and it appears that perhaps the officer was waiting for Shaun outside. Lots of questions still.
    3/12/2008 10:57:52 AM
    Report Abuse
    [​IMG]christina151 wrote:

How do you KNOW that's what happened?

Do you know anyone involved?

One report says that the officer identified himself and flashed his badge. How can someone do that if they are being attacked by several people? The bullet holes I saw in the wall last night near where Shaun died appeared (i'm not an expert) to be going in a downward angle into the wall...How do you shoot downward if you are on the ground being beaten and discharge your weapon? There are a lot of questions that still need to be answered.
    3/12/2008 10:43:16 AM

christina151 wrote:
    christina151 wrote:
    I have no doubt that police officers have a very difficult job deciding when and where it is appropriate to shoot and kill a person.

It has been reported that this officer had "minor" injuries. Do minor injuries justify killing someone regardless of their history?

Where were this officers friends? Were they just standing by watching this happen?

Now, I have to be honest. Shaun is (was) a friend of mine. If anyone of you knew Shaun, his history and the type of father, son, boyfriend, friend, and brother he truly was you would be wondering what really happened in front of the Bank Restaurant. Shaun, BECAUSE of his past, did not just walk around starting fights. Period. The last thing he wanted to do was go back to prison. He was doing very well, earned his Bachelor's Degree in prison, was 8 classes away from his Master's Degree, owned his own home, coached his son's football team....I could go on and on....

Regardless of what led up to this horrible event, the who's, what's, and where's, this is tragic. Not only for Shaun's family and friends, but for the officer as well. I can't imagine how guilty I would feel if I woke up Sunday morning knowing that I had shot and killed someone when I was drunk. I'm sure as the reports come out and we hear what really happened outside of that bar we will all be asking the question, "Should officers be able to carry a gun when they are out drinking?".