GUN Off center primer strikes = failure to fire?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by turbodan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

I'm having an issue with one of my semi-auto PPSh41 rifles. One in about every 10 rounds doesn't light off. The seller says the off center strikes aren't a problem, but I disagree. I'm not 100% on the internal structure of the primer, but I thought the firing pin had to hit more or less in the center to crush the primer against the anvil. I'm not sure enough about that though.

Most of them look like this. Some are closer to or further from center depending on how the bolt settles.
    [​IMG]

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

if that's a 7.62x25 tok, like most ppsh41 subs are made for, then it might be a bad batch of ammo. I have a few tins of 7.62tok that I can't remember the name, but they're green and come 1228 to the tin or something like that. About 1 in every 20 or so require a second hammer strike out of my Cz.52. Even then, they won't go off.

As for the picture, I've seen plenty of primers go off not being struck exactly center. Might want to switch up the ammo and see if this helps.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

those ppsh hit the primer hard. Im going to second the idea that its the ammo. most of that shit is old and probably not stored in the best of conditions.

4. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

The ammo works consistently in my other PPSh and my CZ52. I can get most rounds to fire the second or third time through the problem rifle.

I do plan on taking the rifle to the range this week. I'd be delighted if it just started working.

5. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

This is a semi auto striker fired design. I can't say for sure its not a light primer strike issue. The striker and firing pin move freely and it seems to hit plenty hard though.

This ammo may have particularly hard primers. Maybe I should try a box of Prvi 7.62x25.