Of these 4 amps which would you pick?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neo22, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I know I've posted about this before but am still undecided. I'm going for an amp around [email protected] to run a jl 10w3d-4v2 in a sealed box in a 05 single cab dodge ram.

Here are the amps and the prices I can get them for.

Phoenix Gold Titanium 400.2 $320 (unauthorized dealer)
    Jl E1400D $289+Tax (authorized dealer)
    Mtx Thunder421D $165+shipping(unauthorized) OR $270 locally(authorized)
    Jl 250/1 $339 authorized dealer

Thats about it as my choices. I'm very undecided. I'm leaning towards the phoenix but if all the amps will sound the same then why bother with the extra cash?

2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I have a Cadence amp that I need to get rid of for a bigger one. If you don't want to spend so much I will let it go for a good price, 400w RMS Z100. I have it on 2 10w3's right now, which is to weak for 2 of them, but still makes a good amount of sound. But if you are wanting something new, I would go with the JL audio, that amp is about as close to perfect as you can get for a 10w3v2.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Go with the 250/1. I have that nearly the same setup (12, not 10) in my car and it is very nice. The 250/1 is a perfect match for this sub.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Not quite perfect, better to be overpowerd than underpowerd is what I have always herd, and the 10w3v2 can handle 300RMS. It will still be f'in bad, but not as good as it could be. But is still a great combo for them.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Are you sure the 10 is 300? Maybe you mean max, not recommended. Yes, it is better to have a larger amp than you need so that you will not clip the amp and introduce distortion into the sub, but I doubt you will run into that situation with the 250/1 and a 10w3v2 unless you were really pushing it too hard. I guess if you are being reckless that could happen.

6. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

[​IMG][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 10W3v2 is a superb choice for high-output, high-quality sub-bass in compact enclosures. Exceptional excursion capability and highly linear motor and suspension designs combine to deliver maximum performance from moderate to high power levels. This driver works well in sealed, ported and bandpass enclosures and its dual voice coil design gives the user a high degree of application flexibility.

Nominal Diameter: 10 inches (250 mm)
    Continuous Power Handling: 300 Watts
    Voice Coil: 2.25" diameter, 4-layer, Kapton former
    Available Configurations: Dual 2 ohm, Dual 4 ohm or Dual 6 ohm
    Xmax (one-way, linear): 0.51"-0.58" (13.0-14.7 mm) depending on specific model
    Sealed Enclosure Range: 0.60-0.90 cu.ft. (17.0-25.5 liters)
    Ported Enclosure Range: 1.00-1.50 cu.ft. (28.3-42.0 liters)
    VRC
    [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Technology: YES
    Elevated Frame Technology: YES
    [/font]

Right off of JL's site. The 10w3 is 250 rms, the 10w3v3 is 300.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w3v2.html

7. 04

04 Guest

I'd say get the Jl E1400D. It puts out a good amount of power (more than the reccomended power for your subwoofer) and isnt TOO expensive either. Plus it helps ou keep the single manufacturer theme (if thats important).

You're right about the "sounding the same" part though. If you dont listen at really high levels, then those amps are gonna sound really similar to each other. And honestly, IMO, any of them would be a fine choice. However, if price is a major concern, you could probably do with an even cheaper amp and still be fine.

8. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Price isn't that much of a concern. I will pay whatever necessary to get it right first time. I was leaning towards the phoenix because it was one of the best amps they have ever made but was concerned about 2ohm mono. The sites explain they are 2ohm stable but don't have the power ratings at 2ohm mono.

9. denim

denim New Member

for quality I feel thge PG is the best choice

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Jl E1400D would be my choice.

11. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

PG is the top dog in the list you gave. MTX is the best bang for the buck. I would go with PG myself. Clipping an amp is an awful thing to have happen to you.